Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • VW Golf MK7 2.0 TDi GT
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Looking to replace my 15 year old MK4 Golf TDi with possibly one of the above, any long term owners/users opinions please?

Drac

The GTD is superb I’ve had mine a year now a tremendous car, economical, handles well, descent size, responsive just a very good car.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mk5 GT 170bhp 2.0 TDI – if it’s the same engine in the new ones I’d avoid it like the plague.

I’ve done just over 10k in mine in the last year (bought to get me around whilst my other car is being fixed) and so far its had

Lifter pump
    Injector wiring loom (this runs under the rocker cover in the oil!)
    Injectors
    Fuel Pump
    Turbo
    Turbo Actuator

Its also now due a new duel mass flywheel, and I get some random warning light flashing at me about the DPF which is apparently a fortune to replace.

Honestly, bar the car its meant to be covering for (M6), its the worst car I’ve ever had reliability wise. The money I’ve spent on it not including the purchase price could have fixed the M6 engine (which isn’t cheap).

The 1.9’s are awesome engines, the 2.0 is terrible. Mine is quite high mileage but reading the forums, the issues above happen anywhere above 30k miles, or less if you’re really unlucky. My mum has an ancient A4 with the 1900 in it, she regularly see’s 60mpg+. Sitting at a constant 60mph I’m lucky to see 50mpg and thats in a car that weighs a fair bit less than my mums estate.

Also, if you do lots of short trips, even the VW sales folk tell you to avoid the TDI as the DPF gets choked up.

On the plus side, it does have quite comfy seats…

rascal
    Free Member

I have that very car.
    13 plate. Had since Oct 14 so coming up to 2 years.
    Done 32k miles in it and it hasn’t missed a beat.
    Loaded with all the tricks and toys.
    Lovely to drive – plenty of power when you need it (150bhp to GTD’s 184).
    I do loads of M1 miles and quite often get close to 600 miles per tank and would easily and consistently get more than that if my right foot wasn’t so heavy.
    Took out an extended manufacturer’s warranty when I bought it.
    Sometimes wish I’d got the GTD but very happy with this.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers guys/gals, test driving a couple this weekend!

Paul-B

The engines in the mk5 & mk7, while probably similar in terms of power output & cubic capacity are probably very different beasts.

I was looking at Mk5 GTD’s and the Skoda VRS TDI but having heard similar horror stories to what flange has said above I’m put off. Going to stick with my good old remapped 1.9 PD TDI!

MoreCashThanDash

Used to get them occasionally as hire cars for work.

I would love to have one of my own!

karlp
    Free Member

I have said car.
    Only gripe is moisture on the inside of windscreen ie start on a cold damp morning & the car fills the windscreen with moisture & takes ages to clear. Really frustrating. VW know of the problem but seem unable to fix. Has been an issue with mk6&7 but may be limited to the diesels.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf MK7 2.0 TDi GT’ is closed to new replies.