Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • VW Golf Bluemotion
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking at getting a Golf 2.0TDI GT very soon.
    Mk7 (150bhp) without BM has better fuel economy than Mk6 (140bhp) with…so I found out at a well known car retail chain today.
    Is BM a load of old bollux or are the newer diesel engines much better than previous ones?
    Any experience of either much appreciated.

Daffy

My mum has an 11 plate 1.6BM she gets 60mpg in mixed driving.

Stoner
    Free Member

just bought an ’11 BM 2.0tdi passat. Mrs S is getting 60+mpg out of it. amazing bit of kit.

titusrider
    Free Member

I got a mk7 gti recently – that gets about 32 mpg and goes very fast.

Does that help ? 😀

somouk
    Free Member

I have a MK7 1.6 SE BM and had over 80 MPG out of it on my way in to London the other day.

Excellent car but wish I’d gone for the 2.0 as the 1.6 can be a tad slow moving.

Drac

Forget the BM it’s not really any better for less BHP.

I get 58MPG+ from my A3 2.0TDi had near 80s driving to Reading and I wasn’t going slow.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My wife has one as a company car it’s very boring but easily does 60 mpg. My sister has the previous shape gtd 170bhp (replaced an r32 as her needs changed) a bit less boring easily does 60 mpg.

What drac said ^

salsa
    Free Member

Have the mk7 2.0tdi blue motion, get average 66 mpg, have had the 1.6 but as said by somouk they are a bit gutless for overtaking, the chassis is fabulous on the mk7 far better than the mk6 of which I had 3. The engine in my opinion is far better than the 140bhp, seems smoother and pulls very well.

Thrashing the car still returns 55mpg

If you live in urban areas start stop is beneficial, the only query I have on start stop is after 2-3 hours hard running on a m-way you stop at the top of the slip road and the engine stops, I always thought that was bad for a turbo as the oil in the turbo bearings carbonises as the turbo is so hot and the turbo has stopped spinning!

Overall the car is very good, it pootles fine, is great fun when you put your foot down, corners well and is comfortable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have rented a few 2tdi recently, very good all round and at motorway speeds, was surprised at how fast they are. Little bit of a lag as youd expect from standing start. Id echo above comments, years ago I had a 1.3 mk3 which was glacial, vw have a habbit of having too small an engine in the base cars

spectabilis
    Free Member

My parents have a mk5 2.0 gt tdi sport jobby and a Mk6 bluemotion.

The GT is better on fuel.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bluemotion used to be a special version, but then they incorporated most of the tech into the regular models. Engines have been improving, what engine was in your MK6? Was it PD?

chalkstorm
    Free Member

I’ve got a Skoda Superb Estate – greenline (1.6 engine) – a massive car. Over the last 10,000 miles it has averaged a ‘real’ 59 mpg. Great engines! Not the fastest to accelerate but will keep up with traffic and will go plenty fast enough for you to lose your licence…

sing1etrack

Mk7 is lighter than Mk6 which goes some way to explaining better fuel economy. Performance of 150bhp Mk7 is comparable to 170bhp Mk6 for same reason.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got a 63 plate 2.0tdi gt. Ive done 23k in it in the last year of which only about 3k is motorways. Most of the rest is twisty B roads over the Mendips including the Chedder gorge twice a day. I’m returning high 40’s average, however on a typical a road sitting the traffic stream type rum it’ll br about 57mpg, which is the same as sitting on motorways with cruise set to 85. I can also easily see 42mpg on my commute, but that really is when I’m pushing on! I actually prefer my golf to my 59 plate A6 family wagon. It’s fast, comfortable, well equipped (although get climate if you can), big enough for 99% of the time, handles well and wasn’t expensive on the company car tax. In the time I’ve had it, ive put on tyres and front brake pads, but that’s more indicative of my driving than a care that gets through consumables!
    I will swap for a GTD soon, however that’s purely shiney fever!

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Was in a quandry whether to get a still-very nice 62 plate 2.0TDI GT Bluemotion (140) or spend another £4-5k and get the Mk7 2.0TDI GT (150). The reason for my initial question is this: this Mk7 is not listed as BM, but has a BM badge on the back…the guy at Motorpoint pretty much said they put the badge on all the cars these days to show it’s fuel-efficient…what I still don’t know is whether it actually has the stop/start bit (couldn’t test drive it yesterday). Some new ones are listed as BM, some are not. To be sure, should I go for specifically listed as BM? I’m very easily confused 😉 – if anyone could clarify this that would be great.

Another tipping point in favour of the Mk7 is the interior – comes with loads of extras like satnav, DAB radio (I like staions on AM which are crackly as fewk), alcantara seats – generally a nicer space than the Mk6.

tinybits
    Free Member

The mk 7 is a lot, lot nicer to be in and drive than the mk6. It’s quicker, however I’m not sure it’s any more efficient. I don’t think you can get the mk7 without stop start, and in reality I think that’s all the blue motion bit is. As long as it has that, I woulddnt be at all worried about the badging which you can opt not to have when the car is new.
    Is the car eworth that much more? As a way of getting from a to b, no I don’t think so. It will however be worth more when you sell it, and you may want to spend the additional just because it’s a nicer place to be. If I could, I would.

rascal
    Free Member

Tiny – the car will have @ 10k miles on it and I’ll have it for at least 5 years if not more.
    I am wrestling with the idea of spending the best part of £20k on a bloody car I must admit.
    The Mk6 I’m looking at has leather interior so hardly shabby and a way better car than anything I’ve ever owned before and is £15k (and has 15k miles). I can afford the jump and this will be the only time I’ll probably be a this situation.
    Even though I prefer the exterior of the Mk6, all things considered I think the Mk7 will be a nicer car all round. Who’d have thunk buying a car could cause these dilemmas?! 😕

loddrik
    Free Member

Go for a GTD with DSG

tinybits
    Free Member

Loddrik, 100% agree, but it’s going to be £10k more than the mk6….

I was really surprised how much better the mk7 was than the mk6. Both 2l tdi, the mk 6 was a match spec as opposed to gt the though. I’m not sure I would have upgraded if it wasn’t a company car, but jumping back into the mk6 (I passed it on within the company) made me realise how much better the newer model is. If it were my money, choosing today the mk7 would get it. Looking forward to the next upgrade though, chip it and 210bhp with the same efficiency day to day is going to be a LOT of fun!

rascal
    Free Member

150 is plenty for me thanks 😉
    Like the idea of a GTD – the chav seats are a no-no though.

tenfoot

I have the mk6 2.0 GT diesel BM you’re talking about as a company car. I inherited it from someone else (at 40,000 miles), and in the last year it’s been very reliable and regularly punts out 60 – 65 mpg with motorway use. That’s motorway use, keeping up with the traffic speed, not 60 mph motorway use.

I often have to queue to get over the Dartford crossing, so it sometimes dips below that, but never below 55 mpg. In my experience of VAG diesels, the engine returns better mpg as it gets past 10-15000 miles.

As a driving experience, it’s alright. It doesn’t exactly set the world alight (I recently borrowed a Fiesta ST and was so tempted to keep it), but it’s decent enough. The heated leather seats are very confortable and it also has parking sensors all round, a self parking programme (that I’m not brave enough to use)and a DAB radio for listening to Radio 6 😀

I haven’t driven a mk7 Golf, but I reckon that’s what I’ll be after next.

rascal
    Free Member

Popped into local VW dealership this afternoon.
    Seems all the Mk7 Golfs are Bluemotion with stop/start anyway.
    Also sat in a 61 plate Mk6 – felt very dull compared to interior of Mk7.
    Mk7 it is then 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf Bluemotion’ is closed to new replies.