Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • VW Golf 1.4 mk4
  • tails
    Free Member

These seem fairly cheap would it be okay for a first car (26yrs old male)

Anyone know the insurance group as google comes up with crap car website after crap car website.

The other option is a mini or a fiesta both more expensive to buy.

If we could please refrain from the my dads older than your dad arguments, at least for the first page, that would be great

hora
    Free Member

I’d still say they are more expensive for what they are (and slow).

I’d look at Japanese alternatives as well.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A mate has one and she’s the opposite of a petrol head but wishes she’d got a bigger engine – the 1.4 is just not up to the job of hauling a mk4 Golf. Really struggles on hills, needs thrashing, etc.

I’d seriously look at a 1.6 Focus or similar – far less to buy, handles much better, copes with hills, probably cheaper to insure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tails
    Free Member

oke doke, that’s a shame as they look nicer than the focus 😳 I think 1.6 might be a bit much to insure first time.

Not to fussed about being slow, after all i can only go 70mph.

hora
    Free Member

I know but believe me its not the speed per se. Its the feeling of nippiness.

I used to have a Toyota Aygo. On paper its no rocket yet it felt nippy, cheeky and fun.

Whereas a slow-feeling slow car can feel annoying after a while.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

mk4 golfs are awful – roll all over the place – junk…

meehaja
    Free Member

massivley under powered. the 1.6 is spot on on though. Perhaps consider a skoda? Basically a VW but cheaper?

Albanach
    Free Member

I think its Insurance Group 9 – http://www.parkers.co.uk is a good site for this kind of info. I’ve had 3 Golfs, 2×1.4L and 1×1.6L 1998 MkIV – I’d definitely buy a Mk IV again, great car, reliable, spacious, comfy etc. Yes the 1.4L will be a bit on the slow side if you’ve got a heavy load or carrying a few folk but if that’s not going to bother you then go for it. I can’t speak for Japanese but the Toyota/nissan equivalent could be worth a shout.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Nissan Almers? Seat Ibiza? Peugeot 306/406? Get an OAP’s vehicle, they tend to be comfy and reliable. Relatively cheap to insure too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

tails – they are well made and last ages. If insurance is a pain, maybe consider a smaller car with a smallish engine?

While going fast is not an issue, the mk4 1.4 is simply underpowered. You have to thrash it so much to get anywhere that you’ll use loads of fuel. Nowt to do with being speedy, just makes everyday driving a bit of a PITA.

How about a slightly older Fiesta/Polo or something?

takisawa2

A 1.4 Golf should be fine as a FIRST CAR.
    Always thought them a bit overpriced though.
    Focus would probably be my choice.
    We had an 03′ Corolla once. That was a nice car, as nice as the Focus & very well made.
    That said, we’re too old for the “enthusiastic driving” thing these days.

I borrowed a friends 1.4 Rover 45 the earlier this year.
    Having become used to modern TDi’s, it felt positively dangerous when trying to accelerate into traffic. Felt like it was being thrashed all the time, just to stay with the traffic.

hora
    Free Member

The 1.4 golf is Group 9?!!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Underpowered, don’t bother.

ocrider

If you’re looking at a first car and really want something 1.4l from the V.A.G stable and at a better value and insurance rating, get a Fabia.

Another alternative: Mazda 3?

tails
    Free Member

1.4 mini is group 15!!! I can see more and more people driving around uninsured!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Agreed 1.4 will be horribly underpowered. You’ll have to thrash it to make it go which will give worse fuel consumption than a larger engine.

As per comments above, go for a 1.6 Focus instead

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf 1.4 mk4’ is closed to new replies.