• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • VW extended warranty – worth it?
  • tor5
    Free Member

Hi,

Bought a VW Tiguan (08, 1.4 petrol) just under a year ago on the approved used scheme. Had a flyer through the door the other day from the dealer offering to extend the warranty for £12-£24/month depending on cover. Car has done about 40k miles, we do around 10k/year, mainly short journeys. Spidey sense says it’s expensive and not worth it. Anyone know better?

(Also, rear mounted bike rack or, if I fit roof bars, how removable are they?)

http://www.volkswagenextendedwarranty.co.uk/

Many thanks guys!

Rosss
    Free Member

No Volkswagen I know but my dad took out RAC breakdown cover for his passat. He broke down and due to the oil pump ( I beleive ) wearing internally. He broke down at the side of the road legitimately and the car has been serviced and MOT comprehensively however RAC would not pay out as they deemed the BREAKDOWN not to be a BREAKDOWN despite the car being looked after as required on their terms. Always read the small print! Hope that tosh I just typed makes sense and helps a little 😆

RoterStern
    Free Member

We have been offered this too for the new car we are picking up tomorrow after the old one being nicked last week. The car salesman made it sound too good to be true. I think I am going to have to have a good look at the small print. 😐

nealglover
    Free Member

my dad took out RAC breakdown cover

That’s for breakdowns/ roadside recovery.

It’s not a warranty.

Totally different things.

andydicko
    Free Member

I’d go for it…….. Manufacturer extended warranties can generally be better than the original warranty.

stumpyjon

If you’d read my other thread it’d be a no brainer, ny VW Touran is about cost me £2.2k in repairs and it’s only six months out of warranty, 3 seperate unrelated failures…..

Other than the reliability issues I really like the car, if I replace it (big if) I will be purchasing an extended warranty.

Stu_N

In my experience yes. I had an 07 plate passat – in the 18 months i had it with extended warranty it covered new lambda sensor, new seals or pipes on the turbo (or something like that anyway) and the biggie which was new electronic handbrake control units when the handbrake stuck on when we were on holiday in the Alps (€1200 bill for that one).

it also includes top level RAC cover Europe wide which is worth quite a bit on its own, and covered a hire car for two weeks while my car had a holiday within a holiday.

Everything dealt with no hassle -UK stuff you don’t pay for, the French bill was refunded in a week or two.

I don’t have the car any more though. Quelle surprise!

PePPeR

Seeing as I heard that vw audi cars are one of the worst cars for engine reliability on the radio the other day, it may be worth considering, me personally I’d put the money into my own savings account and self insure..

alexpalacefan

Warranty providers don’t make money by paying out. Just saying.

APF

Fantombiker

Be careful. The VW warranty may insist that the car is serviced at VW or has been serviced with OEM parts. This has a big cost implication.

I bought a Golf from VW used cars, came with a warranty and they would not payout on a gearbox wear issue within the warranty.

VW cars are not as reliable as their reputation suggests IMHO.

hora
    Free Member

I bought a Ford Focus with (unusually) a 1yr full Ford warranty attached.

I needed it and they covered everything.

Aftermarket warranties tend to be hit and miss but dealer-backed ones are good.

For £12 a month- why not? £24 is a bit too much IMO.

Rosss
    Free Member

My mistake I meant RAC comprehensive warranty not breakdown.

rkearsey
    Free Member

Might sound biased as i work for VW Vans, but the extended warranty is actually pretty good, aslong as you use genuine service parts and keep the invoice to prove you have, you can get it serviced anywhere, aslong as genuine parts are used, and they aren’t badly priced.
    If you do have an issue, a swift conversation with a manager usually gets you anything you want as we have to keep the customer happy by doing anything we can.

hora
    Free Member

Dont bother with aftermarket…. like buying a misold PPP

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘VW extended warranty – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.