Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Vw emissions recall reality on problems after fix?
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

My Yeti has been done. 2.0 Tdi 4×4 140 Bhp or was. Noticeable lack of torque at the bottom end. More re gens of DPF than before. Ergo EGR valve having to work a lot harder. Over 1700 rpm it’s ok.I’m running mine on BP ultimate and shell V power so the symptoms may be worse on standard fuel. I’m not keeping mine after 3yr warranty runs out. The later 150 bhp manifold in head engine is much better.

dmorts

Is this fix not mandatory and owners at risk of prosecution if they continue to drive the car on public roads after a certain time has elapsed (to allow for the fix)?

Obviously VW should compensate owners for loss in value, lower performance, inconveniences, risk of prosecution etc.

I actually suspect the answer to my question is in theory yes, but in practice highly unlikely….which seems typical of how little regard is giving to enforcing regulations designed to protect people*. As is coming to light it’s rife in the construction industry, why not elsewhere?

*I say that slightly tongue in cheek, as the supposed protection offered by such regulations could be none existent in reality

Stoner
    Free Member

There’s no legal obligation to get the fix, no VED implication if you dont either. Having the fix is a wholly daft exercise so that VW can say theyve “done something”.

There is no way in hell Im letting them near my 2.0l Passat Blue motion.

The car’s a pain in the arse as it is, if it started lunching EGRs Id be mighty pissed off.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Had our golf ‘rectified’ a couple of months ago. Fuel consumption seems to have risen and little and it’s now sprung a coolant leak from a location suspiciously close to the EGR valve I think (rear of the engine in the middle).
    In hindsight I’d have not had the work done.

siwhite
    Free Member

2014 Passat Alltrack here – not a sniff of difference after the fix. Perhaps I hear the fan working more often, or maybe it’s my imagination. I find the extended warranty on all fuel injection components quite reassuring.

ratherbeintobago

I’m actually looking at a new car right now which was most likely going to be a diesel powered Octavia VRS or a Leon FR estate. Reading some of this I’m not so sure it’s a great idea.

Surely new cars are OK, as the problems apply to those which have had the fix applied retrospectively?

dmorts

There’s no legal obligation to get the fix, no VED implication if you dont either. Having the fix is a wholly daft exercise so that VW can say theyve “done something”.

Exactly, if it’s just type approval then the regulations are to permit sale of the goods within a region. Completely separate to compliance with regs during use.

Paul-B

I’m actually looking at a new car right now which was most likely going to be a diesel powered Octavia VRS or a Leon FR estate. Reading some of this I’m not so sure it’s a great idea.

Surely new cars are OK, as the problems apply to those which have had the fix applied retrospectively?

I meant new to me as in 2nd hand.

Just worry about ending up with a ‘problem child’ after the ‘fix’ has been done and the previous owner punted on due to having continuous issues…might just be me being overly paranoid

yetidave
    Free Member

HOWEVER, you can hear the fan working more to keep the engine cool

Same here. No other issues with our Seat Altea XL 140 so far for about a year and 15000miles.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There is no way in hell Im letting them near my 2.0l Passat Blue motion.

there should be another option where you don’t get the fix but just get the ‘blue’ badge removed. And compensation for loss of resale value, although maybe not until the point of resale.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The fan going, especially after switching off, is normally a sign of DPF regen.

aracer
    Free Member

Self reporting survey – I expect there was a significantly higher response rate from those who’ve had problems. I’m not suggesting there isn’t a problem, simply that you can’t get any reliable stats from the survey.

aracer
    Free Member

I particular like the way as part of an initiative supposedly for environmental reasons you get more discount on a Touareg than on an Up 😆

DezB
    Free Member

One of the indicators on the side mirrors stopped working after I had the fix on my Passat.
    I blame the fix.
    Or it might’ve been when I clipped a signpost, but more likely the fix eh.

chrismac

Had ours done 140bhp passat cc. No noticeable change but I have had a letter from VW effectively extending the warranty on the engine for 2 more years.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I have a 2.0 TDI golf. In a sad geeky sort of way, I keep a note of mileage per tank (don’t mock the afflicted) and can’t see any change in mpg. Happy to send you the numbers but n=1, etc.

Some of the other engines had different fixes I think (software only in the 2.0), pretty sure the 1.6 needed new injectors. I guess you could always get it remapped at the local boy racers tuning place?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of EGR burn outs as they appear to work much harder after the recall.

What? I don’t understand that.

What is an EGR burn out? An EGR valve is a mechanical valve operated by a servo. It can open by varying amounts. They fail when the mechanism breaks. The pipe can get clogged with oily residue and soot. What is a burnout? And how does an EGR work ‘hard’? More EGR (which you’d expect from something like this ) would simply mean the valve sitting slightly further open than previously, which would not put any extra stress on the mechanism.

More re gens of DPF than before. Ergo EGR valve having to work a lot harder.

Again – what?

craigxxl
    Free Member

There are plenty of complaints on Briskoda about the fix. Maybe they are imagining it too
    https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/436939-nox-software-update/?tab=comments#comment-4915456

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Bit of a bump, had my VW Amarok done around 12 months ago and now I’m having EGR/DPF issues, engine management light coming on and periodically going into limp mode.

Have to wait until the 4th of December if I want a courtesy vehicle at VW (which I need).

The EGR cap is filling with condensation causing the electrics to throw a wobbler. Whilst I wait to get it back to VW I’m having to clean the cap out every few days. Can’t be 100% certain the failure is linked to the update but I wish I hadn’t had it done now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got the letter in last week for my 63 plate caddy, decided not to bother, hard to sort the wheat from the chaff with the various horror stories mind.

nuke

Can’t say I’ll be getting it done (1.6 Yeti). Its due a service and i normally use my Skoda dealer…my concern is theyll just do the fix whilst its in for a service

crapjumper
    Free Member

I had my 1.6tdi Jetta done last year and there’s absolutely no difference in anything other than it’s definitely heavier on diesel now . I phoned vw a few months ago to report it and the reply was “ it probably just seems like it’s using more “ 🙄

garage-dweller

@Bluearsedfly

If you’re not aware VW have written to at least some car owners, me included, to say there’s a goodwill programme running on emissions fix cars for dpf/EGR issues. Just in case dealer hasn’t made you aware.

garage-dweller

I’m not sure if molgrips was questioning the grammar/logic or the source of the reported issues but…

The fix on the 2.0 cars as I recall it being described by VW was that the engine management was altered to change the use of the EGR valve.

As I understand it the valve now opens and shuts more frequently and makes more adjustments to it’s position. This presumably means the servo is doing more operations, more regularly and I guess when part open the valve mechanism might be under higher strain. As a result there are rumours of EGR valves failing early.

As my understanding goes, the purpose of increased opening of the EGR is to raise the combustion temperature and thus reduce NOx, the by-product of which is (you guessed it) more soot.

More soot means the DPF needs to regenerate more often to convert soot to ash. From a driver’s perspective I’d say you can experience 3 types of regen:

1) a passive regeneration

This occurs at a road speed of about 40mph+ and is largely unnoticeable unless you have the range showing on the trip computer or are hyper sensitive to things like throttle response and engine note.

2) an active regeneration

This happens where the engine hasn’t been able to do what it needs to passively – characterised by the car holding gears a lot longer (DSG) (especially round town), stinking, idling fast and sounding like a bag of spanners. If you switch off halfway through the fans run on for ages. Also the start-stop stops working.

3) a light on regeneration

This is where 1&2 have failed and the car tells you to go blast the crap out on the motorway for 30 minutes. In practice i think it’s just telling you to let it finish a number 2 type of regen.

There’s a fourth type done in the workshop I think by using a diagnostic tool programme or similar.

Post fix my car does (seems to do) a lot more of 1 and a fair bit more of 2. I never get to 3 because it gets a minimum of a good traffic free 20 mile+ run 4 or 5 times a week plus one or two longer empty road stints.

It’s particularly prone to 2 if driving a long way in or out of a big town at low speed even in light traffic as it’s not generating the steady heat of a sustained run.

Then we get to the more soot leads to more ash leads to shorter life of the DPF.

Apologies if any technical experts can find fault in that (it’s intended as a layman’s summary) but that’s based on the reading around the fix that I’ve done and what the emissions fix letter from VW told people with my engine.

sargey

After ignoring umpteen letters from skoda about the recall the latest letter has a tick box section yes or no and a prepaid return envelope.
    Perhaps they will leave me alone now.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hi garage-dweller, yes I’m aware of that thanks hence why I’m waiting to get it back to VW.

I mentioned the ‘goodwill’ gesture when booking it in, it was replied to with a lot of ummms and ahhhhs.

I’ll wait until I have their brand new T6 and they have my knackered Amarok before I start playing hard ball 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Fwiw I do around 20,000 miles a year and like to make progress.

I’d have thought my EGR/DPF would have ample opportunity to sort themselves out.

RickDraper
    Free Member

My father had his Tiguan 2.0 TDI done, after less than 12 months it was playing up, ECU light on etc. Went to a local garaged (as the car was out of warranty) who advised it was likely the EGR valve at fault and it was a pretty expensive job. They told him to take it back to VW which he duly did. They have replaced the EGR valve under warranty (2 years on update from date of modifications according the the service guy at the local VW dealer). Apparently they have updated the EGR valve to prevent this failure occurring.

RustyNissanPrairie

Got rid of MIL’s 1.6 bluemotion Passat tonight. Full VW service history, 29k miles, just over 3 years old.
    Was going to France for the summer so had it serviced and ‘emissions done’ at VW before departing. Turbo shat itself in France a few days after arrival – €2k estimate. AA repatriated it- VW repaired.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks garage-dweller. More EGR means *reduced* combustion temperature and lower NOx. It is certainly plausible that they would have increased EGR, but as I understand it the valve stays partly open often anyway. However this alone wouldn’t cause a loss of power because when you floor it the valve shuts anyway.

Wonder what else it does.

garage-dweller

*reduced* combustion temperature and lower NOx. It is certainly plausible that they would have increased EGR,

Doh 😳 – yes sorry. I think you’re right with reduced not increased. I blame a late night brain fart on my part! Leaving aside my backwards brain the original emissions fix letter I had specifically said increased use of EGR. It’s also mentioned in the goodwill letters that VW have sent to owners.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Bit of a bump, had my VW Amarok done around 12 months ago and now I’m having EGR/DPF issues, engine management light coming on and periodically going into limp mode.

Have to wait until the 4th of December if I want a courtesy vehicle at VW (which I need).

The EGR cap is filling with condensation causing the electrics to throw a wobbler. Whilst I wait to get it back to VW I’m having to clean the cap out every few days. Can’t be 100% certain the failure is linked to the update but I wish I hadn’t had it done now.

As it stands my Amarok has been sat at VW since the 4th of December waiting for parts and VW are saying it won’t be covered under their ‘good will’ warranty.

I’m waiting until it’s ready for collection before I tell them where to shove their £970 invoice.

And for the record, the T6 Highline I’ve been driving has to be the most overrated POS ever. I’m due for changing cars next year and won’t be choosing VW again

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Vw emissions recall reality on problems after fix?’ is closed to new replies.