Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • VW commercial replacement alloy wheel
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I ran out of skill driving our van a while back and clipped a kerb at speed on an A road. Result is a buckled alloy wheel (we've tried having it balanced but it's too far gone). Hopefully no damage to suspension or anything else.

The set of Alloys are listed at £600+VAT as a factory fit option but we've been quoted £260 for a single repalcement. That seems a bit steep given the 'aftermarket' alloys they sell are £130 each and the factory fit price was £150.

Do I just have to eat this or is there any way of getting the price down? We need need two new tyres as well and it would be good to get the suspension checked so I'm expecting a big bill from the dealer.

geoffj

eBay or a scrappies?

coffeeking
    Free Member

How buckled is it and how accessible is the buckle – some can be pressed back out (though this is of questionable engineering sense in a material that work-hardens and fatigues badly).

Ebay will find you a standard wheel for <100 quid, eventually. My old local scrap yard had a mountain of odd alloys about 20ft high and 40ft in diameter (the mountain, not the alloys!) that he let you clamber over and take what you wanted for £25 a wheel.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Coffeeking he speak the truth – ebay is the future. I got a spare for my Volvo for £100 posted brand new from a scrappers on ebay. Volvo stealership want £450 for ONE!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

2 year old and fairly rare vehicle so don't expect to find many for sale.

coffeeking
    Free Member

There will still be hundreds a year scrapped (crashed). If I can find original wheels for a car that only had a few thousand imported 20 years ago and of which there are only 1000 or so still registered in the UK, im sure you can find a commercial van wheel from 2 years ago if you ask around 🙂

large418
    Free Member

I have just fitted alloys to my T5, so have a full set of steels with good tyres (5-7mm tread, Michelins and Toyos) you are welcome to for £80 set. And I'll throw in the wheeltrims

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I was about to post:

'if you dont ask, you dont get!'

Which should probably go in the 'things my dads says' thread…

angryratio
    Free Member

change all of them on the cheap and turn the old ones into garden planters.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘VW commercial replacement alloy wheel’ is closed to new replies.