Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Vw camper alternatives.
  • jam-bo

Possible 10k budget. Looking for something properly converted rather than mattress in the back of a van.

Bongos seem tiny and still pretty expensive.

Other than that, doesn’t seem to be much available other than VW’s.

Am I missing something?

mrhoppy

The vw T4/5 are the most common but the vauxhall/Nissan/Renault chassis is also fairly easily converted. You could get a reasonable conversion done (including buying a van ) for £10k.

jam-bo

Should of added, will need to be a daily driver so no bigger than a t4 ideally.

piemonster
    midlifecrashes

Ebay has what you’re after:

Suntour Camper!

stufive
    Free Member

Ha HA that bipper is mint

piemonster

http://www.diddyvans.co.uk/model.html also 😀

I think you can pick up Teardrops from about 3k new

piemonster

Hyundai i800 or van equivalent.

althepal

Don’t go near a rascal unless you enjoy going any long distances at 45 mph (downhill, with a tailwind..).
    That bopper is awesome!

acehtn
    Free Member

+1 for the Bipper 🙂

even with a top box, bet that still gets great mpg

mattbibbings
    Free Member

The reason you see so many T4s and 5s is they are bloody great! Here’s mine. Ikea children’s bedroom storage, bed/seat from cannons forge, wall carpet from maplin, table made by me. All in for under a grand and its my everyday vehicle too. Faultless and great to drive.

Get one, you won’t regret it.

jam-bo

Had a T4 van before and know there legendary reliability isn’t always so legendary…

piemonster

Toyota Hiace?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Had a VW and a Toyots Hi-Ace in the past, latter was by far the more reliable

Also had a very nice Autohomes pop top based on a Sherpa, would be a bit long in the tooth now though

Always thought these were a good compromise Romahome

acehtn
    Free Member

mattbibings, going by the yellow colour scheme, is that an ex AA fleet one 🙂
    Know 2 that bought ex AA ones to convert on the basis that they will be high mileage, but very well looked after.

jkomo

Can I just make a point about VW’s. I know they are expensive, difficult to drive, temperamental etc. If you stretch a bit further, say £18k, in five years it’ll be worth more, in ten years more again, and you will never have difficulty finding parts. Even left hookers hold their value due to the continental markets. A friend of mine renovates them and has bought vans back from customers for more than they paid him 3 years earlier, and he’s making money on them.
    You will only ever lose money on a modern or Japanese camper.
    Just worth considering.

nealglover
    Free Member

Can I just make a point about VW’s. I know they are expensive, difficult to drive

In what way ?

jkomo

It’s more like driving a classic car, you haveto anticipate more, look further down the road. The gears take a delicate touch, and technique.
    I’ve never owned one, but driven a mates to Le Mans and back, so perhaps ‘difficult’ is overstating it, maybe ‘interesting’ is more apt. I still made him reverse park it, I know, I know…

jam-bo

I have no interest in the older style vw’s.

T4 conversion is the front runner at the moment unless something interesting catches my eye. Just got to persuade the home office now.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s more like driving a classic car, you haveto anticipate more, look further down the road. The gears take a delicate touch, and technique.

I see, you are talking about older air cooled VW’s.

The VW’s that are being discussed here are modern Versions (T4 and possibly T5) which are all very easy to drive and very much like a modern car but slightly bigger.

burko73

ive got my t4 ex aa conversion up for sale at the moment… well, it’ll go on t4 forum this week.

“If anyone fancies a 2001 VW t4 (ex aa) 2.5 tdi kombi that’s been converted into a 2 berth camper I’ve got my old one for sale as I’ve just got a t5 California.

I’ll get iton the for sale thread with somepics as I’m prob not allowed to do this here.

It’s got swivel front seat, insulation etc, alloys, sink, two burner hob, compressor fridge, split charge and hook up system, inverter, gas heater on a thermostat, loads of storage, a safe, pull down rock roll bed, 100l water tank underneath with elec pump etc.

Basically I’ve kitted it out for self sustained long term camping and cruising about. We regularly spent 3 weeks in France in it taking in the coast or mooching about in Devon/ cornwall. The fridge will run for 4 days off the internal batteries without needing charging and there’s enough water for a week or so without filling up. It’s also got internal silver insulating screens for the front windows and built in blackout curtains in the 2 rear side windows.”

Looking for approx £8K.

Cougar

+1 for the Bipper

Hah, just looked at the site, the conversion company is about five miles from my house. I used to work on that retail park.

piemonster

I really like the Bipper. Not sure where the bike would go, but or running trips sorted.

jkomo

Ah, I see.

Moses

Have a look at your local gumtree & get something ready converted. I reckon that VWs are overpriced and only hold their sales value because of the money you need to spend to keep them going. Work out what you need & why.
    Our first van didn’t have opening side doors, & that was something we really missed. Get a van without a bulkhead so you don’t have to get out to enter the body. We also like having a high roof, so we can stand upright, but it’s horses for courses. Look at lots before you buy, even if they’s out of your price range, cos you’ll see what you like & don’t like.

piemonster

Are bulkheads easy to remove?

sturmey
    Free Member

piemonster yes

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Vw camper alternatives.’ is closed to new replies.