Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • VW California – Beach / SE or Alternative ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

i’ve just realised that………..

THIS THREAD NEEDS PICS !!!!!

cmon NZCol and all you other lucky buggers !

burko73

Here’s mine in France last yr

Also saw this beast of a 4motion in Brittany:

burko73

In Cornwall..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    burko73

In Devon with roof topper thing on. This was the old topper, the new design which the maker replaced this with has windows to match the poptop windows.

This is what I really like about the Cali, being able to cruise around and find places like this that you just wouldn’t stumble across if you booked up in a tent or holiday cottage. You just drive until you find somewhere you like, if it’s late and you can’t get in/ book on there’s always an aire to overnight at and try again tomorrow…

the_lecht_rocks

Superb. Keep the inspiration coming please !

squealer
    Free Member

No camping pics of mine sorry but here’s my new beach

And here’s my old se

Incidentally I had the se for 2 years and lost £1,500 on it when I sold it and also sold it on the first day! Get the right spec and colour and you won’t regret it.

mrhoppy

Went for a looksee at one today, just to see whether we were interested. Leisuredrive 4 berth 57 plate with 38k miles, might have ended up buying it. 😳

konabunny
    Free Member

The woman said they have had it 2 yrs from new, done 10k miles in it and put it on the market yesterday, a guy phoned, came round this morning offering the asking price with half of the 20k in cash as a deposit and bank transferred the rest straight away. She bought it new a couple of yrs ago and sold it for £5k less than she paid for it

Hold on – she bought a VW California new for 25,000 in 2012, sold it for 20,000 in 2014, is that right?

How come this says base model new prices start at 35,000? I’m confused!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/california-camper-van

the_lecht_rocks

Squealer, what’s your beaches specification ?

squealer
    Free Member

It’s a 140 dsg with 3 seater rear bench and with pretty much every option available except parking heater. Picked it up as a demo with 12miles on the clock with a significant saving over new. I sold the black one which was 3 years old and ended up with a brand new beach and money in my Pocket!

I’m Not entirely convinced by the vw sat nav on the rns510 but the unit integrates really well for the phone and iPod connection so it’s a must I suppose.

The wheels are 18″ vw dakars and it’s now also got a sportline front spoiler and black sidebars and the vw bike rack off the black one.

Personally, as I’ve mentioned before, I prefer the beach to the se for a whole load of reasons.

burko73

Kona bunny

Sorry, the £20k cash was half of the price, other £20 k paid by BACS or whatever. Sorry if I got your hopes up! 😉

the_lecht_rocks

we need the parking heater but have decided a beach is better for winter camping [sleeping downstairs] on the 3 seat bench too.

could you get some pics up of the inside please squealer ?

burko73

Lecht

You can sleep upstairs in winter with a topper. You can also get v expensive brandrup thermo liner for the inside of the roof that stays in place all the time.

The bed downstairs in the se is perfectly good for sleeping on and quite wide and long. We slept on our t4 rock and roll bed for 5 yrs when camping/ travelling and that was fine. The Cali bed is longer and wider.

You cant get the kettle on so easily in the morning in a beach!

I guess for me, the beach is about a simple overnighter after a bike ride or a surf trip etc, bit of a weekender van. The se is more about exploring, staying away longer and being self sufficent etc. I’d spend a week in the se in the alps skiing but wouldn’t want to spend a week in the beach in the alps for example. You can live in a Cali se but the beach is more like spending the night on your mates couch after a night out.

konabunny
    Free Member

Kona bunny

Sorry, the £20k cash was half of the price, other £20 k paid by BACS or whatever. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

🙁

russ295
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully claimed back the vat (or part of) on these as a vat registered business?

scuttler

Mine (ours if the Mrs reads this) up near Oban with its new outfit (Vango Kela)

Life with a Beach starts with a trip to Wilkos/Ikea for some plastic boxes.

burko73

I really like the look of the steel wheels on your beach there scuttler. What size are they? Have you lowered it?

Nice looking campsite as well.

scuttler

They’re winters from Benn on the Cali forum that I’ve been too lazy/busy to take off (fuel efficiency is the same). I’ll probably leave them on now through the next winter. Aesthetically they’re pretty ace for steel wheels – 215/60/17 with Cargo Vector M+S tyres for 475 quid new. I’ve not lowered the van but was thinking of it.

The campsite is Seaview north of Oban at Benderloch – An absolutely brilliant place to stay. The owner Duncan is first class and he really looks after the place and refuses to pack it full so there’s loads of space. It’s a five minute walk to the beach – http://www.seaviewcaravanandcamping.co.uk/

davosaurusrex

Curse this thread, it’s making me think of going self employed again!

NZCol

scuttler-ha i was there the other day, we spent 3 days and the little one loved it despite the torrential relentless rain! We then went to Kintail and abandoned the trip for a few days to dry out as it was minging and getting worse. Home for now and might head to dumfries area at the weekend.

Sorry haven’t got hosting but will stick some pics up. The Topper was epic in the rain as were the awning sides which gave us some much needed room. The heater was well used ! Also recommend the mattress topper for downstairs, made the bed awesome. Cant recommend Comfort Leisure enough for service.

the_lecht_rocks

not too sure a California can be bought as a commercial vehicle though davosaurusrex. i know the Kombi can be bought commercially and converted, but that is never a California……….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’re off to look at a conversion Thursday night. Just out of interest though (and I especially like the fact you can move the seats on the SE right up front for carting the kids around and having a massive bike boot), TLR, what kind of deals were you seeing on drivethedeal? Mail in profile if you want – like the idea of a Cali holding its value and the sliding rear seats a lot! Need to figure if thats better than a top spec converted van at £30k though!

the_lecht_rocks

30K is cheap. Se was coming in at 49k ish on drivetheddeal !
    That was fully decked out though. 180 dsg 4motion with some nice options but no in built sat nav.
    I was quoted 52k from my local can centre in Aberdeen !!!!! I think there’s a bit of room to negotiate however.

scotsman
    Free Member

I tried drivethedeal when purchasing my SE and when it came down to committing to the contract they couldn’t deliver,apparently it’s due to build dates and limited build runs on the production line I was told by VW in Edingburgh.
    So I ended up dealing with Edingburgh Van Centre, Dave Millar is the man to speak with, very clued up on all things California. The deal I got from him on a 180 BiTDI DSG 4 Motion ended up better than drive the deal anyway.
    Did you go into Aberdeen Van Centre? I was told they stopped dealing Cali’s as the commitment required on after sales, demo vehicles and warranty was to much for them so stopped it.
    I am out by Alford if you want to have look round and pick my brains about them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats what I thought. A guy has just sold his nicely done but converted himself van for £30k on the T5 forum. I thought it was a bit overpriced for a self conversion but it sold within a week of going up for sale. The one I’m off to look at is an ex-demo one for the conversion company and they’re only selling it as they’ve built a new van to showcase their stuff.

By the way, the pics up there ^ are ace. Shows exactly what we’re getting a van for…

NZCol

You’ll struggle to get really good deals on SEs as they are built to order, i got about 5% off list with a few bits and bobs chucked in. It came in 2k more than a s/h van with a lower spec that had done 8000 miles…so residuals are good. Mine is actually on a lease scheme now through work as I could do a tasty bit of tax writeoff on it as i was moving back to the UK. It is the only camper on the company partner car scheme i am told ! Oh and mine was about 53 list, had a lot of options – man 4m, xenons, climatronic, towbar, rcd510 dab+, reverse camera, mudflaps (essential if you use a towbar rack as it protects it) and some others i forget.

EDIT: And there are a few around, we counted 11 Calis in 5 days not including a load of conversions we saw. There were 4 on the site in Kintail.

the_lecht_rocks

scotsman – i’m in Elrick – can you let me know when is uitable o pop out 🙂

aberdeen van centre are back in business with the California – They’ve an SE in the showroom – lovely bit of kit !

burko73

I got my road fund licence reminder through for my 180 se yesterday – £230/yr so I was a bit out with my initial guess.

Dave Millar @ Edinburgh Van Centre – Great help when buying ours.

Regarding conversions, even the best ones are a compromise and the fittings/ base van trim levels and residuals just didn’t stack up for me.

pictonroad

The residuals are amazing. My friend hired one for 2 weeks & a weekend high season, cost £1800. The guy hiring them was losing £5k on list when selling 2yr old vans. If you can stump up the cash it’s a lot more fun than money in the bank and not a lot more expensive.

the_lecht_rocks

how many miles had the vans accrued in 2 years pictonroad ?

gribble
    Free Member

Come on everyone, this thread has to stop. 😆

I sit in an office, have grey hair and drive a grey estate car – I am just getting jealous of all you guys who have either of these vans.

Just out of interest can I saw some high top models for sale earlier this year, with showers/toilet facilities. Only thing is they looked rubbish compared to the regular vans with pop up bed/roof things.

pictonroad

hired From here

It’s miles from you but they seem to be big in the cali scene, my mate was very complimentary of the owner and his knowledge.
    As for mileage not sure, as an example the one my friend took to France on Sunday had £18k on the clock and was 1yr old, the 4m 180 he had the week before had 57miles and was LOVELY. 😳

pictonroad

My high top T4 managed to keep the 180 4 mo behind it up the hills on the way to Plymouth but it was producing A LOT of smoke and yes, the pop top did look a bit cooler..

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

here is mine.. 😆

http://www.autohausvw.co.uk/gallery/vw-t5-gp-campervans/autohaus-vw-t5-1-campervan-conversion-natural-grey-metallic/

Go the conversion route then you can get it how you want… This was the same price as a Cali.. but better in my book!

pictonroad

If you’re in the market and a bit flush don’t discount the Club Joker

you can’t see it from the inside.

scotsman
    Free Member

whats your email and i will send you directions and a time that suits

shifter
    Free Member

That Westfalia is impressive! Hymercar Cape Town also quite nice.

squealer
    Free Member

Some rubbish pics of the inside as requested lech, sorry about the mess. Note the bed when folded down is higher than the one in the se but hasn’t caused me a problem. I haven’t got the multiplex board in mine in the pics which is the end of the bed.
    The big grey waeco is the cool box I mentioned earlier. It fits under the multiplex board and is basically amazing!

And one last pic to show how useful it is. 5 bikes in bags in the back, 5 people and luggage also in the van and ro on the rack for 4 more bikes!

the_lecht_rocks

Blimey ! And club joker….. Blimey !

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘VW California – Beach / SE or Alternative ?’ is closed to new replies.