Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • VW Caddy / Van for Mountain Biking
  • bolt7
    Free Member

To cut a long story short, I have been biking for a few years now, doing events etc. The fiancee and I currently have 2 VW Golf’s and I use the older car for all my biking.

Decided it’s time to get something a but bigger which will be more practical for carrying my bike/bikes or a mates bike.

Just wondering will a VW Caddy (2012/13 onwards) carry 27.5 and 29er bikes without having to squeeze them in? ( Will they go straight in to the van without having to angle them)

Also any advice on what to look for on a VW Caddy for Biking?

hainman
    Free Member

I know a guy who bikes with us and he takes front wheel of his bike and uses one of the trough axle mounts but not 100% sure if it’s just for that securing for his bike or if it won’t fit but I use a Kangoo maxi and have no issue getting my bikes in,had four in total turning the bars and using a wrack of eBay

cookeaa

Does it have to be a VW?

Trouble with a used Caddy being a smaller van, will be finding one that’s not knackered, smaller van means companies are more likely to have used it for lots of short local runs, errand running, etc so short journeys and driven with “enthusiasm” by the apprentice…

You’ll be paying VAG tax for a skip van to do the same job a kangoo/Berlingo would do for far less spend…

Plus those further up the earnings/lifestyle ladder with a proper Transporter will inevitably look down on you anyway…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

This was the one I hired

legend
    Free Member

How tall are you? I’m 5′ 9″ and had the seat as far back as it would go, the bulkhead stops it going further. The passenger doesn’t even go as far back as the drivers.

You’ll need the bikes at a bit of angle, but shouldn’t be too bad unless they’re really long. Best bet is to go see one and take a bike with you.

Tailgate is good to have, opens high enough to work as a decent shelter.

Also, they’re load rating takes them into big van speed limits. Not a huge issue but worth noting.

Oh, and the rear suspension was borrowed from the chariots in Ben Hur

jamesmio
    Free Member

I spent AGES looking for a good Caddy that wasn’t mental expensive. Caddy Maxi is a good sized van for lugging mountain bikes & stuff around, but a good one without a million miles on the clock was always just out of my budget.

In the end one of the mechanics at the local garage had a good deal going on an ’06 plate Nissan Primastar (LWB no less) and I went for that. It’s massive but I’d really begrudge going any smaller now – it’s been absolutely ace.

Almost limitless space for bikes and crap, 2 x eyebolts in at each corner and it’s long enough to sling a hammock up for camping out in without messing about with beds taking up 3/4’s of the space…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nissan Primastar (LWB no less) and I went for that. It’s massive but I’d really begrudge going any smaller now – it’s been absolutely ace.

Such a little van 😉
    A lot of this comes down to perception, growing up driving tractors and hauling trailers etc. then working at 21 where we had a fleet of LWB High top transits not much feels big, when you can back a 10t trailer down a space with 6″ either side before your allowed to drive a car it all becomes a lot easier 🙂 We used to pop the LWB transits into all sorts of places and car parks like some people pop a mini into. You just get used to it

hainman
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

People carrier versions (eg Cady Maxi) are more comfortable and car like, don’t attract van tolls, easier to drive (windows for visibility) etc etc. Unlikely to have been thrashed in the same way as a commercial

on other (small) vans the Nissan NV200 always looks like it might be an interesting option (i’ve never looked into them but Nissan quality is meant to be good and it looks a useful size)

hainman
    Free Member

Can’t get my picture uploaded

duncancallum

Again Nissan nv200

Good mpg and a surprising space

km79
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/woZCYr]Untitled[/url] by hainman1, on Flickr

hainman – Member

Clicking on share photo then copy and paste BBCode works.

legend
    Free Member

hainman – Member

It was the internet’s way of telling you that turning your bars to transport your bike is all kinds of wrong

hainman
    Free Member

@legend it’s the only way I can get 4 bikes plus gear and beer in the van
    To get wheels in all slots on the rack esp the inside ones I need bars turned into

bolt7
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info here guys really helpful.

Having spoken to a friend who works with cars ( auto body repair) and has fixed numerous vans over the years, he felt that the Caddy is the best small van on the market with the Vauxhall Combo being a close 2nd.

I am 5ft 7 in height and ride at current a Medium sized 27.5 Bike. Ideally would like to have a 29er in the future also.

Going by the picture a bike will go in at a slight angle with the bulkhead.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

One of my mates has one – he’s 6′ 6″ & rides an XL 29er & is able to fit this in fine

He’s has his for about 18 months now (think its a 2012 model) bought direct from VW (low miles very clean).

He’s had a diesel injector go (about £500 for one) & this seems to be a common fault with Caddys – he told me he wouldn’t buy another Caddy

pirahna
    Free Member

Another Caddy owner.

A large hardtail 29er will need to go in at an angle. I use Seasucker mounts from Chainreaction bolted to the floor to hold the front forks. With these it’s no problem loading the van with 2 bikes and all the kit for a 2 week camping holiday.

A road bike goes in lengthways, as does my CX bike, both 56cm frames.

The Seasucker mount position for a mountain bike is different to a road bike. For road bikes I’ve got some cheap surface mount workstand things from Amazon.

At 6 feet tall I can sleep diagonally in the back, forget it if there’s a bike in there as well. But then it was never bought as something to sleep in.

mboy
    Free Member

Mine up the top of Hardknott a couple of months ago…

It’s an ex British Gas Caddy Maxi, 11 plate, a mere 52k on the clock and FSH when I bought it 8 months ago. Got a mate who’s got his own body shop to colour code all the plastics, and picked up some 17″ MK6 Golf GTi wheels for surprisingly cheap (any GTi’s that left the factory on 17’s all seem to have been upgraded with aftermarket 18’s by now!), other than that it’s standard. Need to get the ride height sorted as it’s a bit of an off roader at the moment and I never carry any weight in it, but seems to have gained acceptance amongst the T5 set, if that kind of thing matters to you…

Would advise against the normal Caddy for cycling, even a road bike you’ll only just get in on the diagonal with both wheels in. The Maxi has an 18″ longer load area, which is bloody massive! I spent a while looking into this, the Caddy Maxi is the longest of the compact sized vans in terms of load space, which was an important buying decision for me.

As for the price? Well yes you pay more for one when you buy it, but it also retains a lot more of its value than other vans, so cost of ownership isn’t too bad at all, but it is a bit more capital tied up.

@legend it’s the only way I can get 4 bikes plus gear and beer in the van
    To get wheels in all slots on the rack esp the inside ones I need bars turned into

6 bikes, a week’s worth of luggage, tools, booze and all I had to do was take the pedals off and put bits of cardboard between the bikes so they didn’t scratch each other. The maxi is an absolute Tardis! Long enough to sleep in the back of too should you need to.

legend
    Free Member

Weird, staple diet for mine was 2 DH bikes with the wheels on plus a load of kit. It was pretty much the perfect size of day/weekend trip van for 2 people. iirc we also managed 6 bikes at one point plus tools and spares, luggage travelled by car that day

ampthill

I saw one a Caddy Maxi van with a pop roof being used a sort of stealth camper. seemed to produce a huge liveable space. Not that you’d be sleeping in it with bikes in

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

People carrier versions (eg Cady Maxi) are more comfortable and car like

this for me. I was surprised how many vans wouldn’t take my Alpine 160 in without it being at an angle – ruled out the Caddy and the Transit Connect, can’t remember if I tried the Caddy Maxi though. Ended up getting a Seat Alhambra which has the capacity of a decent van, loads of flexibility with choice of how many seats to keep in and even though mine is now 16yrs old it still came with car creature comforts (cruise control, heated seats etc). Only gets used as a bike hauler and often for long trips (Verbier with the MTBs a few years ago, did a 2000 mile Dolomites/Alps/Belgium road bike trip this summer).

hainman
    Free Member

Think turning my bars is a tad less hassle than stripping peddles off but each to their own

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For me it would go
    Front Wheel out
    Pedals (they come off every time I fly anyway)
    Bars

When I had the big transit we still took front wheels off for the long trips so the bikes packed neater under the bed.
    If it was a short trip just held in place was fine.

The issue I had packing the caddy I hired was the wide bars making the bike a more awkward shape with both wheels on.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

can’t remember if I tried the Caddy Maxi though. Ended up getting a Seat Alhambra which has the capacity of a decent van, loads of flexibility with choice of how many seats to keep in and even though mine is now 16yrs old it still came with car creature comforts

Our Caddy Maxi Life is about 8 years old now, 55k miles. We bought new and so far it’s been trouble free. Would be better if the second row of seats came out as well (which they do on later revisions) as they take a fair bit of space. More rattles than a VW car. Wishbone rear suspension means the ride quality in the rear isn’t as good as a car but it’s fine in the front (though it crashes off speed humps).

Not many people carriers with removable seats left now – the Espace is the other one that makes a great bike carrier. Newest Espace is some sort of cross roader thing though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘VW Caddy / Van for Mountain Biking’ is closed to new replies.