Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Vw caddy owners
  • gee111
    Free Member

Im thinking of buying a vw caddy and was wondering how well bikes fit in the back. Any pics would be a bonus. Thanks.

nealglover
    Free Member

No pictures but they fit fairly well. I had a bracket made to clamp the forks into and removed the front wheels.
    Without removing wheels they still fit if you turn the bars.

Don’t buy an SDi if you can help it, the TDi is the only one worth having in my opinion.

legend
    Free Member

I used mine with two (fully built) dh bikes in the back all the time, usually one on the left one right and strapped to the sides.

Think the most we had in was 6 + a load of kit. 4 fully built (2 dh, 2 trail bikes) and two others with the front wheel off.

Sadly don’t think I’ve got any photos. Loved that van though 🙁

P.S. Make sure you get the TDi

white101

Only ever had 2 in mine, but even then there was plenty of room for bags, kit, spares and getting changed.

Great van. We run a fleet of 14 at work and they are the newer 1.6tdi

orangeboy
    Free Member

Used to have a older sdi at work. Very slow but was far more reliable than the more modern stuff just a bit basic

rickmeister

Interesting, thinking of one of these next instead of the T5

reedspeed
    Free Member

I get 3 in mine,its normal wheelbase with a factory bulkhead,2 x adults,1 x 24′ kids,by putting em in alternate ways,they fit easy!.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Unfortunately can’t use mine for biking as it’s a work vehicle on a “work use only” deal, plus the racking in the back would prevent me getting bikes in anyway, but there would easily be enough room for a couple of bikes and kit if it wasn’t loaded up with tea and biscuits.

As for the vans themself, they are great vehicles. Work run a fleet of about 150 of them, and we’ve no complaints. Nice to drive, comfy, good on fuel (most of the fleet are 1.6 Bluemotion). If I was to get one myself I’d possibly go for a Maxi to have more room for camping gear etc too.

ART

No pics either sorry – but yeah two bikes easy, wheels on. Fit in on the angle so back wheels in front corners behind the bulkhead (if that makes sense) then clamps which hold top tubes, with bungees round the front wheels using the lash rings. Boxes with kit etc go in the middle. Plus I use a mesh to stash light stuff above. With different arrangements (think bikes lashed against the side) I’ve had 4 bikes still with wheels on pretty easy.

I’ve been boring about this on threads elsewhere … apologies .. 😉 but I properly love my Caddy. It’s the 1.9 TDi – as above ignore the SDi versions. Drives like a car (van cornering tendencies aside). Is reasonably economical, has plenty of poke when you need it and hasn’t put a foot wrong since I’ve had it … about 4 years in now, 115k on the clock.

Edit… bought 2nd hand from VW dealer in immaculate condition, worth hunting for a goodun

mysterymove
    Free Member

As above get the TDi if you can. my bro had an SDi, it’s slow and uneconomical compared to my TDi

We’ve removed the bulkhead and could quite comfortably get 4 bikes in. Although normally we’ve got a bench seat / bed taking up half the space and then two bikes inside. If it’s just me that equates to space to sleep and leave the bike inside!

I’ve been commuting in mine for the past two years and they’re pretty comfortable to drive. Also spent three weeks touring Europe with two bikes and three kayaks also proved faultless! Although now we’ve got a dog were beginning to run out of space, so i think a T5 may be on the cards 😉

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

I have the Caddy Maxi which is the slightly longer version so width wise exactly the same, I have built a 6’6″ x 2’6″ bed in mine and still get 2 bikes in, and even sleep and live in it with two bikes in with the front wheels off, can recomend getting a bracket to hold the front forks in place when removing the front wheel, makes life easier.

Drive wise it’s superb, fuel friendly, comfortable, quick and reliable, basic compared to new cars as in bluetooth and audio extras etc but I fitted a decent FM concertor for my phone and I will keep this van to it’s death!

One warning, you will end up spending money on colour coding, alloy’s etc!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Caddy Maxi Life here. More car like comforts – Aircon etc. Windows and seats so doesn’t get caught for higher tolls. Ours is the older version so the second row of rear seats aren’t removeable and take up some space. Bikes in upright with front wheels off is easiest for mtbs but road bikes go in complete. Coming back from Flanders last year I think we had 5 road bikes in whole plus one in a bag and luggage for a few people.

We experimented with fork mount racks but far better off just leaning them against the side, a blanket between each, and tying to the load points.

Stick a £100+ head unit in and get bluetooth connection and better sound than the stock radio.

140hp engine pulls strongly. 40mpg overall. My one criticism would be the agricultural rear suspension – fine most of the time but slams down off speed humps. I haven’t found a better bikers vehicle yet.

I usually sling 2 or 3 whole bikes in the back of mine. I could probably fit 4 whole bikes in if it put them in carefully.

Only thing I don’t like about my Caddy is the wallowy suspension, which is slightly disappointing given it’s a Sportline and is supposed to have sports suspension.

steviegil
    Free Member

I have a Caddy maxi 4 motion as my work van, great wee van and i honestly would buy one myself as it handles everything thats chucked at it(even the rough 4×4 stuff)and its pretty decent on fuel in the 5 months i’ve had it and 10k miles…just a pity its a works van or else i would be tempted to start pimping it 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Vw caddy owners’ is closed to new replies.