• This topic has 44 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • VW built me the wrong car !
  • GJP
    Free Member

After just over a two month wait for my new car (a frugal VW Up!) my dealer confirmed it had arrived and I could pick it up today 😀

Imagine my surprise when my lovingly specified car was not all it seemed and VW (or more accurately Skoda) had put in the wrong colour dashboard 🙄

Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did you resolve the matter.

flip
    Free Member

Paint?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How does one pronounce the name “Up!”

Is it the only car with it’s own punctuation? 😉

stavromuller
    Free Member

Mercedes did the same with my first Vito van, put a glass rear window in the tailgate when I had specc’d a solid panel. Told them to shove it and that I’d buy a Nissan. They fitted an aftermarket solid panel and gave me 3 years free servicing which worked out to be worth over 2 grand so happy days

DickBarton

Is that the only mistake? To be honest, a car is just a tool that gets me from A to B so I’d have no interest in how things are coloured…my time trying to impress ladies with my car are long since gone and as long as get there without getting wet then I don’t care how the car looks…if it is the car you want minus the colour of the dashboard (is that specable?) then I’d just get on and drive it…

See if the dealer is willing to bend over and take some in the way of recompense if it means that much to you (or refuse to accept it and get another ordered up).

Drac

Resolve, they order the right car or pay compensation for ordering the wrong one.

skink2020

Two VW T5 works vans showed up with wrong tailgates and 1 was a crew cab.
    Fixed it fairly quickly though.

allthegear
    Free Member

You pay when they deliver the goods they promised to deliver. If they can’t deliver, they must refund any deposit.

Rachel

stavromuller
    Free Member

CFH don’t overlook the Kia Cee’d

Skyliner
    Free Member

Three options, 1) Take the car with the different colour dash and request some goodwill. Most dealerships can self-authourise goodwill. 2) Ask them to spray it in the required colour, demand this is only done at a manufacturer approved sprayshop. 3) Tell em to stick the car up their chuffer, this wont get much rection as people are queing up for Up!s at the moment. Personally I’d try 1 or 2. 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

or the Lancia ?

(though strictly a glyph from the Greek alphabet as opposed to punctuation…)

Rachel

cyclistm
    Free Member

Love the sensationalist topic that doesn’t fit the story, it’s like reading my local paper 🙂

Northwind

Years ago, my dad ordered a Cavalier GLS 1.6. For reasons never explained, it turned up with a red-top in it. He didn’t complain too much and we were always early for school.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Wrong spec so your not obliged to take the vehicle. Up to the dealer to sort it, wouldn’t except a paint job a new dashboard of your chosen colour.

philbert31
    Free Member

I HAD ALIENS BABY! 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

You could always get over it….maybe some first world problem counselling would help.

Edit
    TJ ATE MY HAMSTER!!

cozz
    Free Member

its not till I read a thread like this that I realise how many people suffer evey day with such monumental life changing problems as having a wrong colour dashboard

Id be worried about driving round in a shitty little shoe box,

cranberry
    Free Member

Won’t the dashboard match your shoes and handbag now ?

GJP
    Free Member

Yes I apologise, perhaps the thread title is a little sensationalist on second reading 😳

br
    Free Member

Id be worried about driving round in a shitty little shoe box,

Just googled it – and having paid (at least) £9k!

You could get a decent (s/h) car for that money, and run it too.

ski
    Free Member

Do they have that clause in the brochure – colours may vary? 😉

damper
    Free Member

GJP – don’t apologise. You have spent your hard earned cash on what you wanted and have been let down. Why should you just accept the car just because someone else spends their time condescending you? Those amongst us who are happy to criticize, perhaps, would be better spending their time feeding the homeless or sorting out Syria’s problems.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ ATE MY HAMSTER!!

Where do I buy that as a T shirt?

flybywire
    Free Member

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Trivial or not, it’s a lot of money, you’ve asked for something specific, and it’s not right. Reasonable to expect them to set it right IMO.
    That said, in your position I’d probably take it anyway but expect some goodwill to be shown.

MartynS

Get straight in to dealer tomorrow. Ask for money back. Its not what you ordered.
    The sales manager would be nuts if he didn’t offer you some sort of incentive not to have your cash back..

To be honest I’d be looking for the dash to be sorted and free servicing for a decent period (3 years..)

DickBarton

We have someone near us that has a VW Polo…each panel is a different colour and the upholstery is also different. I’ve no idea if it was intentional or over the years it’s been ‘improved’ – anyone it looks rather nice as it is totally unique…seriously, wrong colour dash wouldn’t bother me as it doesn’t stop the car doing it’s job…I’d have a different opinion if they had specced the wrong engine or number of doors…

Jamie
    Free Member

@Dick

Sounds like the Harlequin.

Northwind

Always liked the harlequin. Wouldn’t buy one obviously, they’re for the sort of person who think they’re zany. But still, glad they exist.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Those amongst us who are happy to criticize, perhaps, would be better spending their time feeding the homeless or sorting out Syria’s problems

Will do……

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Think the Polo will be a “harlequin” one? Has it got the teddy bear alloys as well? They always made me smile, like someone said “sod it, we can make the wheels any bloody shape we like and I am bored of propellers and spikes and all that rubbish, here is one for my kids :-)”.

Oh, and if they make a goodwill gesture that you are happy with, take it. If they don’t, don’t take it.

I am always a bit peeved when there is an expectation of compensation as though it is some sort of income stream “oh look, someone made a mistake, I should profit from that then”. Disappointing I am sure if you have waited a couple of months, but who knows, they might have the correct coloured clip on dash (if they offer loads of colours, it might be that easy) in the post already, and you only have to wait a few days… no real problem.
    Another two months, we will ring when it’s ready, more of an issue…

DickBarton

Yup, that is exactly it…didn’t realise it was an actual model…christ…the OP is worried about his dash not matching…I hope to god, the owner of that Polo ordered it in that colour scheme!!!

convert

I lived in a small village at the time those Harlequin polos came out and by a quirk of fate 3 people in the village pre-ordered one. I always felt sorry for them – you buy a car that says ‘I’m mad me, look at my “zany” car’ and it turns out you are a carbon copy of your “zany” neighbour!

adscatt
    Free Member

It’s more than likely a dealer error not ordering the correct spec, however its not unheard of for it to be a mis-build (i work for a VW dealer so have experienced incorrect spec from factory) if it is a mis build then your dealer should get it sorted to your ordered spec (replace dash), reimburse you in some way or supply the correct car.

chewkw
    Free Member

Take it back or get it for discount …

Economy is bad and you get screwed by car dealer most of the time whether you buy or sell so why let them take you for granted eh?

andyl
    Free Member

Dad got persuaded to trade his BMW for a newer, better model the other year. Was told it had electric fold up mirrors but when it came it didn’t. They offered him compensation of a set of winter tyres on steel wheels – worth quite a bit of money as it saves the wear on his run flats.

But I noticed they have given him the normal winter tyres and not run flats. This seems a hypocritical to me as BMW themselves state you should not replace runflats with none runflats as the suspension is set up for runflats and also the car doesnt have a spare wheel so if he gets a flat in winter he is stuffed. Pretty poor if you ask me as I bet they have providing the tyres as deal sweeteners.

donsimon
    Free Member

Will do……

Have yo done it yet? It’s just that there still appear to be one or two problems over in Syria.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Weetabix first.Then racing crit so I’ll do it before tea …OKAY!!!! (sheeesh you’re worse than the ex-missus with the chores…I’m not doing that AND the lawn though).

elzorillo
    Free Member

Many years ago I was sold a ‘four’ speed car and happily used it as such for three years before a friend borrowed it and took great delight in pointing out it was actually a ‘five’ speed box with a four speed gear knob 😳

mudshark
    Free Member

When I ordered a Skoda last year I struggle choosing the colour so I wondered around the forecourt and eventually decided which colour I liked and the salesman put that on my order. A few months later I went to collect the car and it was a completely different colour – grey rather than a sorta silvery blue. Of course the colour fitted what the salesman put and he’d got it wrong so hard to prove my case but they gave me £200 and I decided I liked the grey better anyway so fair enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘VW built me the wrong car !’ is closed to new replies.