• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • VW brake fluid service
  • Stu_N

Just got a reminder from VW that my car (Passat Estate) is now 2 years old so needs a brake fluid change.

Seems excessive to me and I have never changed brake fluid on a car before – this is by far the newest car I have had as well.

Doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the brakes so is this worth doing?

Any Warranty issues if I don’t?

Any opinions (preferably informed ones!!!).

Flaperon

If you’re driving to the Alps or something then change it, otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Brake fluid is, obviously, hygroscopic and will absorb water, but how much is anyone’s guess.

You can get it tested at most garages for the water content.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Brake fluid (DOT fluid) is the same as Hope brakes, Avid brakes etc use. It absorbs water over time and becomes more likely to overheat (causing brake fade). General recommendation is to change car brake fluid every two years. Depending on how old the car is (still in warrantee?) it will be a lot cheaper to get it done at an independant garage

Stu_N

Used to do the fluid in Avid Juicy brakes before going to Alps trips I s’pose.

Only had brake fade once in a car, caning it on the Drumnadrochit – Kyle road trying to get the last Skye ferry (before the bridge). Damn near shat the old breeks then.

rob1984p
    Free Member

if you drive sensibly and use the right gear descending then brake fade will never come knocking at your door. i got a touch ranting mine through wales last weekend picking something up on the way back from mm but was pretty well braking as late as i dared for about 10miles

kevonakona
    Free Member

Get it done. It’s not massively expensive and keeps things sweet with VW. Mine was part of the service schedule.

pinches
    Free Member

should be part of the service schedule at the next service.

Drac

You don’t have to go to Dealers to keep it under the warranty.

pinches
    Free Member

how can you have work done on your car externally and then expect them to humour your 3yr warranty?

imo it depends how far away you are from your annual service, if you’re due an MOT in a couple of months time then you can just leave it until then, where a brake fluid change will be included in the service for that age anyway, theres not much point paying for a brake fluid change now, then paying £125+VAT for 2 yr annual service which would include a brake fluid change anyway!

Flaperon

pinches – perfectly acceptable to have routine work done elsewhere and maintain full warranty.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Not on the parts or work which was not carried out by the approved dealer/service centre. And if the service was done properly i woul dthink that that would include a lot of things you’d want to still be under warranty

GJP
    Free Member

i am with Kevonakona. More likely to be a false economy not to get it done – I wouldn’t buy a s/h car where the previous owner had taken petty savings on servicing and maintenance. It was it was only £70 for my Audi in London so can’t be very much money

Peregrine
    Free Member

Up until 12 Months ago i worked at my local Vauxhall Dealers, brake fluid changes were just a blag the fitters used to get extra time. Most of it got booked to the job but stayed in the parts department. So check it has been done if you get charged for it.

To be fair i’m sure not all dealers as quite as bad the one i worked for.

sicmop
    Free Member

If you are really bothered get your local garage to check the BP (Boiling point) of the fluid. It only takes a minute and a few coppers in the fitters’ christmas fund should cover it.
    Don’t pay V dub prices if it wants changing get it done at your local garage as it doesn’t void your warantee.

Drac

how can you have work done on your car externally and then expect them to humour your 3yr warranty?

Because the law changed several years ago now as it was deemed unfair to force you to got a dealer. It has to be an accredited garage though.

spooky_b329

The garage has to use VW approved parts as well. Whereas if you left it another two months until a future service as Pinches suggested, technically VW could claim that you didn’t abide by the servicing schedule! I think they normally give a 10% leeway for a mileage service.

-m-
    Free Member

It has to be an accredited garage though.

Just has to follow the manufacturer’s service schedule and use approved parts – part of EU block exemption legislation introduced in 2004 (and enforced in the UK by the OFT). There was initially a grey area because the first year of your warranty is often the “manufacturer” warranty, with the remainder a “dealer” warranty, but the big manufacturers all agreed that the block exemption would apply to the dealer part also and that any restrictive clauses would be removed (to avoid the OFT taking action against them).

Drac

Ah cheers I knew it was something like that but couldn’t remember the exact detail, by accredit I meant recognised by what ever body does the garages forget it’s name now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘VW brake fluid service’ is closed to new replies.