• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • vw 2.0 diesel emissions update
  • burko73

All

My golf estate needs to go in to vw to get the “upgrade” to sort out the errant vw emissions issue.

Has anyone had this done yet? mines a 2.0 litre 140 hp golf. is it gonna turn my car into a duff motor? can i just not get it done?

before anyone gets on at me, i bought the car as it will manage very good mpg (up to 70mpg* when driven by my wife (*according to the optimistic trip computer but still very frugal))

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s a thread somewhere, the consensus is the change isn’t really noticeable it terms of performance or economy.

I’m still very cynical though, seems too cake and eat it to me.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My boss had his done – no noticeable difference apart from the clutch going a month afterwards 🙂

siwhite
    Free Member

My Alltrack is booked in for tomorrow morning…

TheBrick
    Free Member

My understanding from the marketing bumf is that it is more a removal of the “detect test and run test beating mode” routine. Not that the fix made the car pass the test in a genuine manor.

Northwind

No first hand knowledge but it just struck me, if the test evasion isn’t noticable when you remove it, why did they ever do it?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

For when it’s undergoing test.

Northwind

Obviously- but if that’s all it does, and it has no impact on normal driving, what’s the point in removing it today? Basically VW’s account doesn’t make any sense to me.

tthew

what’s the point in removing it today?

Because that’s what they negotiated with the Americans in return for a massive fine. But the ‘cheat’ makes no difference to european tests IIRC, as they are based on CO2 emissions and it was cheating NOx. I assume if you buy a diesel VW in the USA now, the VED equivalent is higher.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I agree with Northwind, if its purpose was only to fool the test then why remove it ? Something doesn’t add up.

chris36860
    Free Member

Had our 2.0l Audi done a few weeks back. It takes about an hour and we’ve noticed no difference at all. They did however tell me my rear pads were low and wanted to change them along with the rear discs for £399.00 + VAT while I was there! No thank you very much!!!

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I agree with Northwind, if its purpose was only to fool the test then why remove it ? Something doesn’t add up.

Because in the EU it passes the test even without the defeat code running.

In the USA (where the code was required to pass their tests) they have a different problem, but a lot fewer cars. At one point they were talking about just replacing all USA diesel VWs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Grumpy so why repeogramme the car then ?

As per the other thread US owners got cash compensation or the car repurchased. Much more generous.

bigblackshed

VW are not re-programming the car. All they are doing is deleting the “test mode” program from the ECU. It will make absolutely no difference to the performance, economy, or level of pollutants your car produces.

What they are having to do in the USA is re-map the ECU program to try to lower the NOX levels, what the stringent California pollution laws are based on, to try to pass those laws. Whether they have managed to do that remains to be seen.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I had the Cheat version Seat Leon with a 170 bhp engine. I now have the newer version but its a 150 bhp engine.
    The one thing I noticed that is different is the free revving limits are different.
    Just floor the throttle and see what yours does. They will not over rev.
    When my old car needed its Mot, the engine will not rev over about 1800 rpm.
    Therefore meaning the smoke test was not performed correctly.
    My newer car will free rev to 2500 rpm making the test more realistic.
    Just my views but it would be interesting to see if the remap makes any difference.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@bear-uk

The rev limiter in neutral on the diesels has always been low, I was told – by someone at Seat is was because if you try for a Fast n’ Furious style full revs start it’ll shit it’s gearbox with little provocation – but of course that’s the same people who built the cheat device.

DezB
    Free Member

Just floor the throttle and see what yours does.

Not easy in an auto 😉

bear-uk
    Free Member

In Neutral DezB
    I’ve not tried it in gear

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bigblack interesting thanks

downshep

Had mine done months ago. Not a jot of difference, zilch, nada, hee haw. Same performance and economy. As stated above, they’re programming out the cheat settings when it is being emissions tested, nowt to do with driving.

stumpy01

Our Ibiza needs doing (140bhp 2 litre TDI) and I’m undecided whether to go for it or not, erring towards ‘not bother’.

I’ve looked online & there seem to be mixed reports. A lot of people saying there’s no change, but then also a significant amount of people saying low down torque seems reduced, as well as more diesel clatter at low revs and people complaining about their engines ‘coking up’ and needed a clean out.

Most of the complaints seem to be coming from Tiguan owners so I do wonder if it’s only noticeable on the heavier models.

A bloke I work with (geek physicist who questions everything) asked Seat for more information about the actual change before committing to having his Exeo done.
    He got a load of non-information about using technology advances that weren’t available when the engine was designed etc….I think a technical bod did eventually get back to him & tried to convince him it was worth doing but didn’t manage to change his mind.
    He did manage to find a before/after dyno test from the same vehicle & there was a noticeable change in the power & torque traces of the engine – loads less low down torque after the change.

EDIT:

downshep – Member

As stated above, they’re programming out the cheat settings when it is being emissions tested, nowt to do with driving.

That’s not what the geek work colleague I mention above was told by the tech bloke that he spoke to….He was told that they have changed the injection pattern of the fuel during the injection phase – basically lots of short squirts, rather than a longer squirt to improve the burn & reduce the emissions…..this is part of the problem, they seem to be a bit secretive about what it is they are actually doing, which makes people (well, makes me at least) suspicious.

ChrisHeath

He did manage to find a before/after dyno test from the same vehicle

Considering how much of a “scandal” it was reported as being, I’m amazed there aren’t loads of these floating around on motoring websites and forums.

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s probably worth factoring in prospective customers when you go to sell the car on. There will be a sizeable chunk of the population who aren’t interested in anything technical/mechanical but who don’t want to buy a dirty cheating car that hasn’t been “fixed”.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s probably worth factoring in prospective customers when you go to sell the car on. There will be a sizeable chunk of the population who aren’t interested in anything technical/mechanical but who don’t want to buy a dirty cheating car that hasn’t been “fixed”.

Equally there’ll be a sizeable number of people who want the ‘full fat’ ECU. The same demographic who buy cheaper lower powered diesels then drive everywhere in a cloud of smug black smoke believing they’ve done something clever getting it ‘chipped’.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The fix isn’t a simple removal of the cheat part of the software as the map has been re-written. Lots of people are witnessing lack of power and higher MPG, which no doubt this being STW will be shot down as lies. Luckily a few have started having dyno tests before and after. The results are showing a big dip in the torque and power up to 2500rpm with the peak readings remaining about the same. As these are diesels most of the driving is done below 2500rpm which means that drivers will be using higher RPM’s to achieve the same performance hence the increased fuel consumption.

Audi A5 – 2.0 diesel

Skoda Octavia – 2.0 Diesel

This I’ve witnessed in a back to back comparison of driving my brothers Octavia VRS that has been updated to my VRS that hasn’t, his feels gutless unless you are racing the engine everywhere.

It lets VAG off the hook with the statement that performance isn’t effected as the peak readings remain similar but the consumer gets screwed. I’m looking a replacement for my Skoda and won’t touch a VAG car again.

jimjam
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

Equally there’ll be a sizeable number of people who want the ‘full fat’ ECU. The same demographic who buy cheaper lower powered diesels then drive everywhere in a cloud of smug black smoke believing they’ve done something clever getting it ‘chipped’. [/quote]

I agree, but buyers who want to remap and egr delete don’t have to reveal these intentions – they can just ask for money off the car because it’s not had the VAG “fix”. A remap would supercede the vag fix. I could see a lot of private dealers using similar tactics.

Just playing devils advocate.

onehundredthidiot

Had the passat done a week ago. I drive normally (possibly slower than most judging by the “progress makers” on here). No noticeable difference.
    Just the same experience at the dealers as usual, poor, and a chappy free gift for my time. Which cost less than the coffee and book I bought to pass the hour. Oh and it was washed, well wetted.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Had our 2.0l Audi done a few weeks back. It takes about an hour and we’ve noticed no difference at all. They did however tell me my rear pads were low and wanted to change them along with the rear discs for £399.00 + VAT while I was there! No thank you very much!!!

That was my initial thought on what Skoda UK are trying to achieve when I got my letter.

I agree, but buyers who want to remap and egr delete don’t have to reveal these intentions – they can just ask for money off the car because it’s not had the VAG “fix”. A remap would supercede the vag fix. I could see a lot of private dealers using similar tactics.

This was another thought, especially as you will get a nice certificate.

This I’ve witnessed in a back to back comparison of driving my brothers Octavia VRS that has been updated to my VRS that hasn’t, his feels gutless unless you are racing the engine everywhere.

Bleurgh. I am wondering whether it would be worth getting the work done and then getting a remap to try and reclaim some of the lower rev torque, or whether this is just a case of pissing into the wind. 2009 mk2 Octy vRS here.

stumpy01

That Audi A5 rolling road result is the one that I had seen.

As Craigxxl mentions, they are quite clever in the wording of the letter, saying that peak power & torque will remain unaffected by the work…..I am not interested in peak torque & power – I want to know that the engine will respond the same in the region that I use it the most – from idle to 2500 rpm or so…..and it would appear from the dyno traces that is where it has been affected.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it will be my take on this, unless it becomes a legal requirement for emissions testing.

DezB
    Free Member

I drive normally (possibly slower than most judging by the “progress makers” on here). No noticeable difference.

This.

And why would I over-rev in neutral? Weird.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘vw 2.0 diesel emissions update’ is closed to new replies.