• This topic has 102 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Vulcan farewell tour – this weekend!
  • TheDoctor
    Free Member

Big crowds at Menwith hill, and at least the most lifted

scandal42
    Free Member

Is it on schedule atm?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

About 10 minutes late at Menwith hill

v8ninety

Anyone managed to get tracking info? Think their site may have been overwhelmed…

midlifecrashes

Ooh, nearly finished the chores. Going to finish my cup of tea, put another load of washing in the machine and ride down to Finningley to see her return. Twitter @XH558 is giving very regular updates.

/living the dream

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Completely forgot about this, was in the back garden and heard the roar. No time for the camera, just watched it pass over with a sense of pride 8)

simondbarnes

Well that was good 🙂

v8ninety

Well that was err, brief and to the point. Think I was a bit spoilt by the impromptu display last time 🙁 Farewell XH558

cinnamon_girl

Oooooooh, thanks for the helpful schedule deadkenny. 🙂 Shall ride in Wiltshire tomorrow then.

Riksbar

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yFqsy7]XH558 Pendle[/url] by riksbar, on Flickr

Bunnyhop

Just walked back from a local ridge with great views of the Vulcan.
    Got to see her fly low over Manchester airport runway,
    turn and make a low pass over Woodford.
    Shame about the mist over Manchester. Great turn out though.
    Someone said she’s back over Christmas. Can that be confirmed?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The new stealth cloaking and silencing worked well over south Sheffield. Almost as if it never came past at all.

Oh, wait…. 🙁

(and to cap it all – apparently it did laps of Robin Hood airport where we’d been told NOT to go!)

toppers3933
    Free Member

It didn’t do East Midlands Airport either. I could hear it but didn’t see it and I can’t get to Bruntingthorpe tomorrow either. Harrumph.

100mphplus
    Free Member

100’s of us were gathered in Lymm near M56 where it should have flown directly over on the way to M/C and it changed path and went down M6 instead – bar steward 🙁

crazy-legs

There was a good video of it heading right down the centre of Dunmail Raise in the Lake District.

I’d thought about heading out to the Lakes to try and get on a hill above Windermere but in the end I did the CX ride I’d originally planned on which was nowhere near it!

Ah well, seen it 3 times this year already. Wait and see what else is planned for the end of October.

Spud

Took the lad out to what should have been right under the flight path near Langley Mill and due to the EMA change it flew a little further west, saw it but not close. Great turn out though for a small farmers field entrance!

simmy
    Free Member

Went straight over on one of my local trails, bang on course.

Big innitt ?

v8ninety

video of it heading right down the centre of Dunmail Raise in the Lake District.

Linky?

crazy-legs

Linky?

It was a video embedded in a tweet which I can’t seem to copy.
    Search on Twitter for @love_the_lakes

One still image, one video on there.

midlifecrashes

It did more than just laps over Doncaster. It did some amazing hard low turns over both ends of the runway. Flat and low with gear down over Parrot’s Corner and fully banked over and faster at Bawtry Forest, must have given the paintballers a shock. There was a film crew helicopter taking footage for the archive.

scandal42
    Free Member

Came right over us and a few hundred others in a field near robin wood in Ticknall, then banked unexpectedly and headed away from the planned EMA route.

Hundreds of disappointed people around the airport on the way home.

iain1775
    Free Member

It didn’t do East Midlands Airport either. I could hear it but didn’t see it and I can’t get to Bruntingthorpe tomorrow either. Harrumph.

Yep was stood in the park opposite my house in Chellaston looking towards EMA, turned around just in time to see it appearing from totally the opposite direction.
    Still managed to see it even if it was further away and that was the 3rd time this year so can’t complain

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I didn’t know about this until today when whilst at Bruntwood Park, Stockport the Mrs shouts “look, Concorde!”

Really awesome to see it, especially so unexpected.

crazy-legs

Came right over us and a few hundred others in a field near robin wood in Ticknall, then banked unexpectedly and headed away from the planned EMA route.

Hundreds of disappointed people around the airport on the way home.

East Mids ATC refused it clearance at the last minute due to some Cessna in the circuit. Not sure if I was lost or low on fuel/other emergency or just really bad timing but the Vulcan disappeared sharpish. Apparently Cessna vs Vulcan is not a fair fight…

But yes, most of the people who’d been at EMA then took to the Vulcan Facebook page to complain bitterly. 🙄

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I think they should fly it to Stanley and leave it there. Don’t suppose there are enough Victors left though

NZCol

Didn’t think I would see it in SW Edinburgh as path as E of here. But heard big noise when I was in the garden and it went right overhead skirting the base of the Pentlands from the W then I assume turned over E Fortune. Epic sight.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Getting a good moaning at this morning on faceache and rightly so. Shafted most of Derbyshire. As I said previously it’s a bit piss poor planning to be fair. We went out and didn’t see. I’m sure the “southern” route will be bang on to map and timings today :|e

iain1775
    Free Member

Getting a good moaning at this morning on faceache and rightly so. Shafted most of Derbyshire. As I said previously it’s a bit piss poor planning to be fair. We went out and didn’t see. I’m sure the “southern” route will be bang on to map and timings today :|e

Piss poor planning
    Are you serious?
    The Vulcan to the Sky team have no influence on external factors like another plane being in the same area, clearly states that on the website, can you imagine the difficulties in organising a route that takes it over or close to so many operational airports and avoids conflict with other aeroplane movements?

I’d much rather it gets diverted slightly than a mid air collision brings it down on top of houses (including mine)

People in Ticknall still saw it, I still saw it, just (2 miles moth as the Vulcan flies from EMA), it still went over Derby, the only ones that didn’t where those that went to EMA, always going to be a risk of the route getting changed in the vicinity of airports

langylad
    Free Member

That pic from riksbar was the Vulcan going right over my house. I didn’t know it was coming anywhere near but i just happened to look out of the lounge window as it went right past the front. That was nice.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It chose to divert after being given the option to do ema, it was 30 mins early for most of Derbyshire, you’d think the royces pass would have been something like planned. At least I didn’t miss riding my bike to go watch a blank sky. I’ll live 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

It went over Royces bang on time, Wrightyson – 3.45, I was stood in the local park (Chellaston) and saw it

Just approached from the SE, Melborne direction, rather than south, EMA

simondbarnes
    crazy-legs

Getting a good moaning at this morning on faceache and rightly so. Shafted most of Derbyshire. As I said previously it’s a bit piss poor planning to be fair. We went out and didn’t see.

Diddums.

The planning was perfect but it can still be influenced by external factors – weather, other air traffic, any mechanical problems it encounters en route.

Some of the idiots on Facebook would only be happy if it did a display right over their house while Martin Withers popped round, made them a cuppa and talked them through it all. 🙄

simondbarnes

Diddums.

Indeed!

welshfarmer

Looks like it will be flyin g right over the top of Cwmcarn in the next 90 mins or so. Might go down to Llandeggfedd to see it

CountZero

Bunch of people at Severn Beach at the moment waiting for it, wonder if red thunder’s here?

rjj
    Free Member

Plenty of people in and around Manston Kent. Never fails to surprise, just appears, so quiet.

neila

Just had a beautiful low flypast over Cam nr Dursley in Gloucestershire. Heading north following the M5. Fantastic sight from the back garden @ 15:25.

boxelder

video here

Dunmail Raise courtesy of stridingedge

redthunder
    Free Member

@count zero

Yes I was… Are you stalking me ? 😉 Do live in Severn Beach? Or was that you on road times on the see wall.

Bit of a let down IMO. Especially after theh specifically mentioned the bridge.. Oh well subject to change.

Coffee and cake now 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Vulcan farewell tour – this weekend!’ is closed to new replies.