Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Vulcan!
  • davetrave
    Free Member

Agree Tornado is a bit dull but then I hear them all the time as they do their bombing and low flying around here.

Unless you’re on the receiving end of a “show of force”… The missus’ Families Day at Lossiemouth last year featured a simulated ambush on ground troops followed by a show of force by 2 circling Tornadoes. Having experienced shows of force before in Afg I knew what was coming so had ear plugs for me, missus and nipper, the other wives and kids didn’t – cue deafened, screaming children and angry, deafened wives when the aircraft tore over at 50ft on reheat…

Otherwise, yes they are quite dull, especially when you have to put up with the sound day in, day out.

zokes
    Free Member

Nope, still boring compared to the tin triangle and its four Olympus at full chat.

Gunz
    Free Member

Saw a Typhoon cause every child watching Dartmouth Regatta to cry a couple of years ago, awesome air and bowel ripping sound.
    However, not quite as amazing as this thread making it to page 2 without someone taking the moral high ground over others admiring military equipment.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That angle of climb from take-off is amazing! Virtually stood on its tail!

Anyone got any film of a Lightning doing the same….?

Edit: found some!

Boom!

curvature
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Djd1pPQZ_LE[/video]

This my favourite Vulcan video!

twoniner
    Free Member

F111’s never held the same appeal to me!

I loved the F111’s, used to get the A10’s over us a lot too.

I’ve not seen the Vulcan fly since I was a kid, RAF Valley, North Wales. I remeber it going vertical as it took off, the whole place shook, kids screaming and peoples picnics going everywhere. It also felt like your chest was going to implode!

I look forward to seeing it at Rhyl airshow in August.

curvature
    Free Member

The Vulcan is also displaying at Welshpool on Sunday.

twoniner
    Free Member

Really? might have to pop down for that one. Thanks.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve not seen the Vulcan fly since I was a kid, RAF Valley, North Wales. I remember it going vertical as it took off, the whole place shook, kids screaming and peoples picnics going everywhere. It also felt like your chest was going to implode!

So, further to my previous about a four plane scramble, can you begin to imagine what it was like when four of the buggers were taking off more or less together, flat out?
    Nuts, that’s what.

Airshows ain’t what they used to be though, don’t care what you say. Health & Safety along with budget constraints have made the airshow a pretty dull affair in comparison to when I was a regular attendee in the late 70’s & 80’s.

twoniner
    Free Member

I went to Waddington last year and to be honest it was quite dissapointing. On the grouund was more like a fairground and carboot sale.

I can’t imagine what 4 of those beasts taking off together would sound like.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

We got a full on airshow last week. Was blasting around for about 40 minutes. Awesome noise and scary as it whines and banks round to have another run on the house!

flip
    Free Member

I will see this at Cosford on Sunday!

singletrackmind

Any airshow fans who want to get abit nearer to the air dispaly should go to Totterdown farm near RIAT Fairford,
    The display axis runs directly overhead, plus you are approx 150ft higher than the runway , so can see into the canopies of aircraft doing fast and low fly pasts.
    The danger being death if a mechanical failure or pilot error occured as they are very close and overhead alot of the time.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

My dad an ex waddington pilot took me to that show when I was 4 I still remember holding on to the tin fence as it, my entire body and everything else vibrated away. Old man thought I would be bawling as I turned round. I had the biggest smile on my face ever. We still go every year and it still chokes me up every time she flies

nickc

Never could get excited about Vulcans, slow old things outdated the moment they hit the flight line

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Vulcan!’ is closed to new replies.