Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Vouching for someone, what does it count for?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not talking about a guarantor for a loan or something, but when for example, someone in here says, “I’ll vouch for him”. So what? There’s no come back is there? Looks like someone has been scammed in the classifieds again but someone “vouched” for them.

Discuss.

maccruiskeen

It can depend – its not clear from the thread (yet) whether the the guy doing the ‘vouching’ was making an honest ‘vouch’ for the ‘vouchee’ (and just happens not to have been ripped off by them personally), or whether they are a shill.

In an anonymous situation like a web forum someone anonymous vouching for someone else anonymous offers very little security. Being vouched for carries weight if the person doing the vouching jeopardises a genuine friendship or reputation.

scaredypants

If one trader on the classifieds vouched for another, I’d not even buy the pinch of salt via PPgift

If a “proper” forum memnber vouched for somebody, all they’ve remotely got to lose is some credibility so I’d look at who they are & what sort of a person they seem to be

If I vouched for a mate who wasn’t a big user of this place (unlikely, I only know 1 occasional user really well, and a couple of others “a bit”) I’d be pretty bloody cross if he then let somebody down but I’d not go offering refunds myself or anything

zilog6128

but I’d not go offering refunds myself or anything

obviously not, that would defeat the point of transporter13 someone creating a new account, vouching for it, then using said new account to scam people! 🙂

nickdavies

If you vouch for someone you just say they’re a good risk – I get asked for references etc and I treat it as if I was dealing with them. I.e. If someone said is joe blogs and co ok for a grand of stock, I’d only vouch for them if I’d be happy giving them a grand of my stock. If they don’t pay their bill it’s not my problem, I’ve just said I’d give them the stock if I was asked. Likewise if I took on a risk based on a reference – I wouldn’t expect the referee to do anything if it went tits up.

On here I’d totally ignore it and look at posting history.

Northwind

It just means “I trust them”. It’s a step up from a total random but it doesn’t mean you can trust them.

tomd
    Free Member

It’s only worth something if you know / know of / trust the person doing the vouching. There are a few people on here that I know or know someone who knows them so it would mean something then.

bearnecessities

I’d vouch for maccruiskeen being trustworthy enough to pay by PayPal gift.

Yes, I’m a gift voucher.

transporter13
    Free Member

Right…ive just spoken to Rob…he is saying that he refunded people and that he cant log in…Im trying to get him on here to answer for himself

piemonster

I wouldn’t vouch for Bear. He’s a slippery one!

wwaswas

I even let myself down.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

obviously not, that would defeat the point of transporter13 someone creating a new account, vouching for it, then using said new account to scam people!

That’s quite a serious accusation. You’ve assumedly done your detective work, so in the spirit of protecting the STW community:

1. How many new accounts does transporter13 have?
    2. Which one is he/she using in attempts to scam us?

transporter13
    Free Member

For me..vouching means that should anything ever go wrong within a transaction I would do my upmost to make sure things were sorted.
    If that meant giving out all his details to a unhappy buyer then so be it.
    You stand up for your friends when its needed, you are also willing to give them a kick up the arse when they are being a cock too 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

Having read both threads, I’m very pleased to hear what vouching for someone means to transporter13.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good work transporter13

maccruiskeen

I’d vouch for maccruiskeen being trustworthy enough to pay by PayPal gift.

Yes, I’m a gift voucher.

Paypal Infallibility.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would vouch for bear after our shifter shenanigans very trustworthy and a good guy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Vouching for someone, what does it count for?’ is closed to new replies.