Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Voting question
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Why can’t we vote the the party that we want to sit in government directly.

I live in a guaranteed Labour seat area, so what’s the point in me voting for any other party?

poly
    Free Member

Why can’t we vote the the party that we want to sit in government directly.

Because proportional representation wasn’t in the Conservative’s interests they made the Lib Dems settle on an AV referendum which was doomed because nobody really wanted AV. You should perhaps cast your “protest” vote to a party that has PR / STV as an clear wish.

I live in a guaranteed Labour seat area,

these is no such thing. What you need is a candidate with a very strong voice, or a credible alternative position and suddenly the apple cart looks unsteady. Ask most Scottish Labour MP’s if they honestly feel safe… voter apathy has as much to do with safe seats as the strength of the opinion FOR the candidate …you could always stand yourself if you don’t think any of the candidates are credible!

so what’s the point in me voting for any other party?

Well even if you don’t think there is any prospect of winning there are still good reasons to vote for a candidate:
    – it sends a message that you didn’t want the incumbent
    – it may help with the national “who deserves” to form the government discussion if it is not clear from seats alone
    – it adds credence to parties which support STV/AV/PR systems
    – if it is a “smaller party” it helps them gain credibility

At least you don’t live in a marginal seat where you feel you have to vote for someone you dislike just to help keep out someone you hate!

kayla1
    Free Member

Vote for who you believe in. It will not be a ‘wasted’ vote.

gordimhor

Kayla has it. Then we need to dump fptp.

MoreCashThanDash

Or vote for someone standing for a party who want to dump fptp?

allthegear
    Free Member

If everyone suddenly started voting for the party we actually want in power, we might actually end up with the party we want in power…

And if you don’t like any of the candidates, stand!

Rachel

convert

I know what you mean. I live in an constituency with a massive conservative majority. If I was a tory voter I could roll out of bed in the morning of the 7th and know if I turn up or not the chances of my chosen candidate getting in are rock solid. As a supporter of any other party I’d like to say I’ll turn up and vote but I can guarantee it will have no significance one way or the other. The size of the majority is effectively irrelevant but the chances of something other than a tory win are tiny to the point of being irrelevant.

I am pretty informed about current affairs, have a reasonable understanding of the policies of all the main parties and could argue the logic behind my chosen political allegiances with anyone I cared to. Apparently the country needs more people like me – engaged with politics. But what infuriates me is that my vote and millions like me who will put their cross down with some knowledge and understanding count for nothing in comparison to some dimwit who choses his vote like Jeremy Clarkson chooses cars, just because of our postal codes.

I simply have no idea how will ever engage the young with politics with our current voting system.

poly
    Free Member

The puzzling thing is that “everyone” thinks its wrong, but given the opportunity to change it (albeit to a still flawed system) the electorate did what they were told by the politicians the current system props up.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Well even if you don’t think there is any prospect of winning there are still good reasons to vote for a candidate:

Just to add to poly’s excellent list:

– a serious reduction in the incumbent’s majority will likely lead the challenger to focus more resources on winning the seat next time around.

poly
    Free Member

Just to add to poly’s excellent list:
    – a serious reduction in the incumbent’s majority will likely lead the challenger to focus more resources on winning the seat next time around.

Oh and another, you help the guy who is bothering to stand against the person you don’t want get there deposit back!

And of course if you DO want the “inevitable” candidate then you should still vote for them. There is nothing certain and you’ll have none to blame but yourself if some body steals the seat because everyone assumed it was safe.

One thing I noticed in Scottish referendum was people who really wanted change (or really didn’t want it) didn’t rely just on their little X on the ballot paper, they got up and went campaigning so even if you don’t want to stand you can help someone who is. If you haven’t supported them with what you believe in, it’s hard to complain that everyone always votes the same way.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Why can’t we vote the the party that we I want to sit in government directly.

Waaaaa!!!

mogrim

Then we need to dump fptp.

Wish we had fptp instead of PR here, awful system. Although all systems are flawed IMO STV would be the best. Or FPTP for the lower chamber, and PR for upper.

luketracey

This is probably an idiotic thing to say but, I have no idea who my MP is, or even what colour, I always vote with the party I agree most with, for all I know I’m their only vote.

ahwiles
    Free Member

JohnClimber – Member

I live in a guaranteed Labour seat area, so what’s the point in me voting for any other party?

easy, vote for a party you like, because:

A) you might help them keep their deposit.

B) it supports their principles.

ollybus
    Free Member

I’m pretty disillusioned with the election. I happen to live in a Conservative safe seat. I’ve realized the inevitability of it. Everyone round here wants the Tories to win, and they probably will. I have to just suck it up, or move.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Voting question’ is closed to new replies.