Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Votes for prisoners !!!!
  • Woody
    Free Member

FFS is there nothing else remotely of interest in the world today.

I, for one , couldn’t give a monkeys chuff whether they do or they don’t, what I’m really p@ss%ed off at is the dogooding SOB’s who are now appearing on tv moaning about human rights and discussing the possibility of having to pay out £££millions in compo for breaching those human rights.

ps. I can’t imagine that voting rights is high on the agenda of most people residing at Her Majesty’s pleasure, so where did this bollox originate. No doubt some complete dickhead lawyer out to line their own pockets, or a Brussels bumpkin with nothing better to do. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 👿

Drac

Hard day at work yesterday or just in from nights?

Woody
    Free Member

Aftermath of yesterday – couple of jobs which highlighted that public funds are definitely not going in the right direction !

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

It would be quite amusing to see politicians canvassing in prisons!

I work with ex-offenders. The majority of them are utterly apathetic and in all likelihood didn’t vote pre-incarceration and won’t bother post-incarceration.

However, I’ve met exceptions.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I work with ex-offenders. The majority of them are utterly apathetic and in all likelihood didn’t vote pre-incarceration and won’t bother post-incarceration.

However, I’ve met exceptions.

+1 (apart from they’re mentally unwell ex-offenders, and the ones who seem interested enough to vote all seem to have been involved in the music industry at some point in their young life… strange coincidence i’m guessing)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can’t imagine

Seems to be a bit of a handicap, that.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s a campaign from an ex-offender. A murderer, I believe.

Torminalis
    Free Member

It has come about from an EU ruling that all prisoners have the right to vote, which they previously did not in the UK.

Hard Labour I say.

Discuss.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

haha, love it! implicit assumption i’m guessing:

“courts are always right, these people are always wrong, there’s never any chance that their incarceration is actually politically informed or motivated, etc…”

😆

Torminalis
    Free Member

“courts are always right, these people are always wrong, there’s never any chance that their incarceration is actually politically informed or motivated, etc…”

Sounds like terrorist talk to me.

Pook

The campaign to get it was led by an inmate convicted of manslaughter for killing his landlord with an act. He’s just been on the radio,

“I read the Human Rights Act, which talks about voting, and the first line says that it applies to all human beings,” said manslaughterkilledhislandlordwithanaxe, “Aren’t prisoners human beings?”

Or something.

kimbers

the eu ruling says that you cant just issue a blanket denial to all prisoners

in other countries the right to vote is determined by what crime youve committed or length of sentence etc

its fair enough after the expenses bollox we all know the mps are crooks, whats the problem with letting other crooks vote for them

MrKmkII
    Free Member

at Torminalis

really? hahahaha! oh wait, you’re serious? 😮

Junkyard
    Free Member

I suport this if the state can incarcerate you it is reasonable that you can vote – cant see it changing anything result wise as most wont vote IMHO.

No doubt some complete dickhead lawyer out to line their own pockets, or a Brussels bumpkin with nothing better to do

Yes allmost definetly NOT a principled stance by a lawyer using the courts to limit the ability of the state to oppress it’s citizens – well spotted

wwaswas

will they be offered postal votes?

(for some reason this seems to be outside the paywall…)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6207605.ece

The toughest sentence for postal-vote rigging was handed down yesterday as six men were jailed for using ghost voters to help the Conservatives to win a local election.

Mahboob Khan, 46, was jailed for 4½ years for his role in a scam that prosecutors described as part of an epidemic threatening to destroy British democracy.

Torminalis
    Free Member

principlesd stance by a lawyer

Classic.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

an inmate convicted of manslaughter for killing his landlord with an act.

Something off x-factor was it?

Woody
    Free Member

😆

its fair enough after the expenses bollox we all know the mps are crooks, whats the problem with letting other crooks vote for them

The cynical might say that it’s a Labour plot to gain a few more votes.

highclimber
    Free Member

People get jailed for different things and I believe that for a large majority of people in jail they deserve the right to vote as their crime doesn’t deem them unfit to do so. Murderers, rapists, paedofiles and other very serious criminals all waived their human rights by infringing the human rights of their victims and should have theirs revoked until such time they are fit to have them reinstated.

willard

Apparently the guy that won was in for manslaughter, and Radio 4 were touting something akin to a graduated scale for whether people could vote. i.e. In for 2+ years: No vote for you miladdo!

Sounds to me like someone got very bored doing their time and decided to annoy the government.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I think its more than reasonable that prisoners should have the legal right to vote.

Obviously however, I don’t think we need to facilitate them in exercising that right, but they’re more than welcome to turn up at the local polling booth… once they’ve managed to saw through the bars, crawl through the tunnel or climb over the wall!

chewkw
    Free Member

EU is full of shite.

All this human rights are overrated shite.

Tell that to Dear Leader …

Prisoner and criminals … I say use them as fertiliser. 😈

br
    Free Member

So irrelevent of the crime, if you go to jail you can’t vote – but with any other sentence you can?

Hmm.

chewkw
    Free Member

Keep it simple.

If you hang the prisoners/criminals you have:

1) extra body parts for donation.
    2) extra fertiliser for plants.
    3) reduce green house carbon emission.
    4) reduce unnecessary news. The news will read … “Another prisoner. Dead!”
    5) more human parts for medical research.

😈

skidartist
    Free Member

cant see it changing anything result wise as most wont vote IMHO.

It wouldn’t change results here as there just aren’t all that many people in prison.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Woody – Member

“The cynical might say that it’s a Labour plot to gain a few more votes. “

Because Tory MPs weren’t also implicated in the “expenses bollox” ? They didn’t claim off the taxpayer for things such as ‘ornamental duck houses’ or cleaning out the moat in their ancestral homes ?

What exactly are you on about Woody ?………….do you in fact even know ?

“FFS is there nothing else remotely of interest in the world today.”

Well it has certainly attracted your attention Woody.

Makes you wonder why the government only relented with the utmost reluctance then.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

QUOTE: Makes you wonder why the government only relented with the utmost reluctance then. UNQUOTE.

Pretty simple really, the majority of the public (regardless of party affiliation) have bought into the ideas that prisons are holiday camps etc etc

It’ll be an unpopular move and no government would enter into it voluntarily.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’ll be an unpopular move …..

I never realised that. Why would it be ‘an unpopular move’ ?

I can understand the holiday camp stuff, but I have never voted whilst on holiday.

Nor can I recall ever having a ‘good laugh with me mates down the polling station’.

Is voting considered to be a ‘fun thing’ by those who believe prisons are like holiday camps then ?

Woody
    Free Member

Oh Ernie…..tut tut..

I would have thought it was obvious, even to you, that the majority of prison inmates would technically be working class and therefore Labour voters 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So why did you link that comment with the “expenses bollox” then ?

Looks like I was right when I suggested that you might not even know yourself, what you were on about.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Ernie, not like you to be a contrarian, something wrong? 😀

You must realise that most members of the public object to the idea of prisoners being allowed the right to vote. If you don’t then you either live in Hampstead or on Mars!

FWIW, the only ex-offenders I’ve ever heard enthusing about politics have tended to be Tories. I don’t believe that it necessarily follows that this would lead to a vote bonanza for Labour.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How am I being contrary bravohotel ? ……..I’m not disagreeing with – I said I didn’t realise that.

And I don’t live in Hampstead or on Mars. Is everyone discussing it down your road then ?

I can honestly say that I haven’t heard anyone talk about it.

So what’s the objection based on then ?

Woody
    Free Member

Ernie, as you only appear to read and draw inferences from comments to accommodate your perceived political bias in others, I would point out (again) that my comment was linked to the ‘crook’ aspect and the probable voting bias towards Labour.

It had NOTHING to do with MP’s expenses ‘irregularities’, merely a comment on the fact that MP’s, of any political persuasion, will do anything to gain votes! In this case, it would happen to benefit Labour.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, as you only appear to read and draw inferences from comments to accommodate your perceived political bias

I copied and pasted, there was no editing.

Here, I’ll do it again if it helps ……. in it’s entirety :

#
    Woody – Member

😆

The cynical might say that it’s a Labour plot to gain a few more votes.

Posted 8 hours ago # Report-Post

So there you have it in black and white.

Now explain to me the connection between the “expenses bollox” and prisoner/Labour connection ?

BTW you do know that the decision was made by a Tory government so it can’t be a “Labour plot” don’t you ?

Woody
    Free Member

I really can’t be bothered Ernie as you obviously do not understand how a ‘plot’ works.

ton

another one bored beaten into submission……….. 😆

Waderider
    Free Member

Remove the vote from thick uneducated militant antisocial people I say. I mean, look at the USA. Democracy is not the answer, just probably the best we currently have.

Three strikes, and then you’re off to a anarchistic penal colony for life, with no welfare or health care, never mind voting. A sci-fi sub society if you like.

A bit harsh maybe, but I’m 37 and haven’t had one strike yet……..

Liberal namby pamby rubbish, let the good folk evolve and the dregs sink to the bottom.

(Some of this post might be motivated and amplified by a headache).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I really can’t be bothered Ernie

I’m not surprised. You obviously hadn’t thought through what you had posted. A knee-jerk reaction which probably bypassed your brain I dare say.

A bit like the “FFS is there nothing else remotely of interest in the world today” comment you made after dedicating a thread on the subject.

Woody
    Free Member

I can’t argue with that sort of logic. You win

ton

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Votes for prisoners !!!!’ is closed to new replies.