Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 261 total)
  • Vorsprung Luftkappe
  • mahalo

i have found a couple of places now where i can take it if i make a disaster of it, but for what they charge its definitely worth attempting it myself first…

mahalo

just watched a couple of videos, feeling pretty confident.

only thing i dont have is any circlip pliers for removing the airspring – is there a bodge for this?

P-Jay
    Free Member

just watched a couple of videos, feeling pretty confident.

only thing i dont have is any circlip pliers for removing the airspring – is there a bodge for this?

TBH removing it is one thing, getting the swine back in afterwards is ever harder even with the correct tool.

BoardinBob

No excuse when they’re this cheap

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/circlip-plier-set-a45qw

I’ve used them on the airspring clip

mahalo

blimey! £1.35 i bought some earlier for £2.50!

DrP

I’ve had the cheaper circlip pliers in the past, and the QC on mine were so poor they didn’t grip/fit in the clips…

Decent ones are about a tenner for a pair set, and worth it..

DrP

willv

Will this help me with my pike rc?

Had the compression tuned so not as harsh but after a few months feel rubbish again. Just back from tf and I just can’t get em feeling right. 75psi, 1 token, 5 from full slow rebound, few clicks of lsc and I’m 13st.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

willv depends what/how you ride. I run 2 tokens and 65psi 68kg. I specifically want more support in the last bit of travel for jumps/downs etc. Works a treat. Havent felt the Pike to be harsh in the last 4 years 🙂 Id try some more adjustments/less air before blowing more money.

Try 6-clicks of low-speed compression, and 13-clicks of rebound (clicks are from closed). Then drop the air pressure 5psi would be my starting point.

BoardinBob

Will this help me with my pike rc?

Had the compression tuned so not as harsh but after a few months feel rubbish again. Just back from tf and I just can’t get em feeling right. 75psi, 1 token, 5 from full slow rebound, few clicks of lsc and I’m 13st.

Totally sorted my Pike RC out. Simply could not get it feeling right. Way too divey and spikey.

Now settled on the luftkappe and 1 token. Feels superb. Very plush with great small bump compliance and no dive. I’m 90kgs but not sure on air pressure. Wish I’d fitted it ages ago

mahalo

all set to install mine this weekend, just one stupid question…

slick honey grease, slickoleum and sram butter all appear to be the same thing and can be used to do job? but i dont have any… i do have a little tub of rockshox dynamic seal grease they recommend using to service the shocks however – but no mention of using this stuff on the forks…

the dynamic stuff appears to be slickoleum with added teflon? can i not use teflon grease in the fork??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’ll be fine, go for it.

mahalo

Ok cheers. What about the loctite – will nail polish do?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I didn’t bother with any loctite, and had the airshaft back out on Sunday for a wee lower leg service, still rock solid.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I used nail polish, fine so far.

mahalo

Ffs I just butchered my airshaft trying to release the piston!! Shaft was rotating freely in the rubber golf shaft clamp, so wrapped an old inner tube round it and clamped with some molgrips – bolt came straight out but I’ve got some substantial scuffs of the shaft…

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone used the Luftkappe on a 120mm 29er Pike?

Have been quite happy with it, but it needs a full service anyway so considering getting one fitted at same time.

Leku
    Free Member

Fitted mine Thursday. Golf camp worked just fine for me (I camped it along the shaft which worked better).
    Circlip was worst bit but now have bought proper pliers.

Rode Cwncairn on Friday and notice an improvement already (but need to play with air pressure etc).

jamesoz

Happy to pay more for a set of forks than some do entire bikes and you won’t stretch to a little bottle of thread lock, which will also help stop bits falling off your bike, if you ever ride anywhere a bit mountainous, at any kind of speed.

Odd.

RicB

Happy to pay more for a set of forks than some do entire bikes and you won’t stretch to a little bottle of thread lock, which will also help stop bits falling off your bike, if you ever ride anywhere a bit mountainous, at any kind of speed.

Odd.

I thought the same! Couple of quid for some blue loctite that’ll last years and be useful elsewhere. I think it’s very unlikely the screw would ever come loose but if it does it’ll probably destroy the inside of the air chamber. I’m sure SRAM use loctite for a reason!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Odd.

Not at all, bottle of the stuff sitting on the shelf when I fitted mine, just decided not to use it, as I don’t use it anywhere else on my bike. Correct torque and some lubrication on the threads has always worked for me, and my engineering judgement indicates to me that the luftkappe bolt is not under any more stresses than any other bolt on said bike.

I service my forks regularly, so I’ll notice if there is any indication of it coming loose.

So, not really odd.

jamesoz

Fair enough, off the top of my head I tend to use it on pedal pins and the b screw as vibration seems to cause it to wind out.
    I’d be surprised if there’s no threadlock on your bike unless you re-built it with new fasteners throughout. 🙂

As for the Luftkappe, I’m very pleased with it. The Pike is my first modern fork and I was pretty underwhelmed by it in every area except weight. It feels better now, just wish I’d fitted it before the summer.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you lubricate threads and then torque them – it isn’t the correct torque.
    But then with your engineering judgment you should know that…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, okay then.

jamesoz

Lubricating the threads will affect the torque but so will the Loctite, not sure it’ll make much difference.
    Pretty much every bike part I’ve bought recently has turned up with a Loctite type substance on every bolt. Hence my comment, whether it’s necessary or not I couldn’t say as I don’t design bike parts.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stop bickering about loctite and someone tell me how these with on short travel pikes.

Leku
    Free Member

Anyone would think some were discussing the Space Shuttle.

I used Loctite (purple). 140mm 29er Pike here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Should still be a good upgrade chaka, the symptoms it addressed in my pike were a slight lack of support, diving if you will, and that initial first 10mm of travel feeling a bit sticky.

If these are traits you notice on your pike, then I’d suggest the luftkappe will help.

Vortexracing

Stop bickering about loctite and someone tell me how these with on short travel pikes

my thought as well, I’m interested in this conversion for the same fork/travel

chakaping
    Free Member

Someone PMed me with positive feedback on that. I’m gonna give it a try.

However Luftkappes are no longer on the Bounce website, so I’ll have to give them a bell and see what the score is.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate of mine is setting up as a supplier, gimme a shout if ye want one Chaka.

Vortexracing

However Luftkappes are no longer on the Bounce website, so I’ll have to give them a bell and see what the score is

Bugger !!, that’s where I was going for them as well 🙁

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Aware that the Luftkappe and the MRP don’t work with DP Pikes, are there any upgrades that do? I like the lower setting for longer climbs…

mtbrog
    Free Member

Chakaping, I have fitted the luftkappe to a 120mm travel 29er fork, it’s worth doing, I found that the fork was either to firm or I used the travel too easily……..until I fitted the luftkappe, now all is good. I weigh about 161lb in the raw, 2 tokens fitted, 72psi, 10 clicks from fast rebound, and 0 LSC…works for me now.

smokinsnakes
    Free Member

If anyone is still looking for the best way to remove your piston bolt, I’ve posted a 60 second guide here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/vorsprung-luftkappe-upgrade-solo-air-piston-kit-rockshox-pike-lyrik-1029014-5.html#post13433331

Been reading up on everyone’s frustrations and hacks and thought I’d share my own experience.

kimbers

well as Im tight I sawwped the luftkappe from my old Pikes to my new Yaris

(Yaris seemed good so far, much stiffer, but definitely not as controlled as the charger/luftkappe pikes on fast DHs)

Anyway, brief spin on the Yaris yesterday and wow they are plush!, made a big difference to feel straight away, might put a token back in (took out the 2 it had factory fitted) –
    was worried that sealed moco damper would make them too progressive but seem good so far

I will say that the brand new Yaris appeared to have less than 10ml of fluid in each leg and that there was a big blob of grease on top of the air spring, but hardly any on the seals as recommended in servicing video, so plushness may just be lubrication!

chakaping
    Free Member

Had one fitted in my Pike @ 120mm along with a much-needed full service and damper rebuild.

First ride today was a good test as a lot of the ground was frozen. I am impressed. Yes it’s plusher but it also seems to give more composure as the fork is less “bouncy” than even a fully functioning normal Pike.

So have any Lyrik owners on here fitted one and how’s it gone? Saw a positive report on here before I think.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Have one sat on the side ready to go into my Lyrik next week.

Will post how it goes next week.

superfli
    Free Member

How’s are people’s rebound damping after fitting these?
    I fitted mine to a new set of Pikes, so not sure what they would be like before fitting. rebound and comp damping completely open and no tokens. Rebound is not quite fast enough for my liking, but it’s not bad.

DrP

My rebound damping was fine.probably a click or so changed, but not at the end of the range by any means..

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘Vorsprung Luftkappe’ is closed to new replies.