Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Voodoo Wazoo upgrades
  • dahedd
    Free Member

I’m not long in so nothing ordered yet. I’m totally in the dark with regards to fattie innertubes. Any recommendations which to get?

I was probably just going to get the On-Ones.

edit…. Just noticed none of those tubes seen to be fattie specific ie don’t go too 4″ in size. Does that mean I can use normal 26″ innertubes? I still have a few from my old full suss.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m no skinny rake at ~85Kg, I have an SV13F on my rear wheel (simply because I did that wheel first and it inflated fine) and an SV13J on the front (because the seam split on the second SV13F after just three strokes of my track pump). So ~600g total innertube weight.

Two On One fatty tubes would be ~1100g, if my memory on weights is correct.

The Vottorias are complete unknowns, the only version with no claimed weight is the fatty tube, I’d hazzard a guess of at least 400g per tube going on ~192g for the 26×1.9-2.1 variant.

~£11.50 for a weight saving of ~700g is the cheapest weight you will lose off the default bike, if you don’t want anything else from PX to get over £50 free postage then the tubes will cost ~£9.50 using TCB. 😉

The SV13F seems to inflate fine to 4″ tyres in most cases, with the odd failure like one of mine, despite officially being 2.1-3.0″ range. I would not recommend using a normal small 26″ tubes, these Fs are designed for robust riding.

dahedd
    Free Member

Nobody….

Got the new bits fitted yesterday, there’s a noticeable difference in the weight up front. The tyres must be a fair bit lighter than the originals. As are the stem & bars.the new bits really improve my ride position.

Kinda wish I’d seen the forks for sale but probably best for my wallet that I did not. They are back up to full price now.

Btw do you heave a recommendation on the best headset? I need to tinker with my one, I think mine is knackered, too much play in it now I’ve swapped parts over.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Did you weight the new tyres (Floaters)? People were reporting them as ~1400g earlier in the year, my pair of default Mission Commands are ~1500/1550g. Bars and stem will be ~300g lighter too and put the grips ~25mm higher.

Shame about the carbon fork raising up a “sales step” to £144, still got to get mine installed, struggling to get the lower crown race off the default fork (without proper tools). Might end up getting it sorted by LBS, swapping forks is something I’ve not done myself before.

Regarding headset, did you adjust spacers so at least ~3mm of spacers/stem was above the steerer, then tighten the headset topcap before tightening the two stem bolts to the steerer? I’ve never bought headsets as separates to date.

Did you decide on which inner tubes to get yet?

dahedd
    Free Member

I actually needed another spacer/shim, the El Gupo (or whatever its called) is shorter than the default stem. Pinched one of my old commuting bike. Stuck them all under the stem, raised the height up just perfectly. Should I have left one above the stem then?

Didn’t weigh the tyres, not really that fussed, I did notice an immediate improvement in the steering though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I think having no spacers above the stem is ok (it’s how I have my Corto and how I had other stem on the Wazoo fork). It’s another aspect I’m not so sure on for the swap to the carbon fork, because some googling has suggested there should be a spacer between the stem and the topcap, but given how the carbon fork will raise the front end by ~10cm this is not going to be an issue for my back!

dahedd
    Free Member

Headsets definitely fubbard. Doesn’t appear too have any bearings in it at all, just plastic washers that slide on each other. Now I’ve loosened the whole thing off when putting on the new stem it won’t go beck together probably.

So I’ll need to figure out Wyatt is compatible with the bike.

jameso

Nobody, killing time in a hotel here rather than being particularly interested in your saddle height just before it looks odd pitching in with this, but 87cm bb to top at 5ft 10? I’m a bit over 6ft and 77 cm is right for me on the mtb. That could sort your low front end issue.. your saddle may be way too high.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@dahedd Headset is apparently an FSA no.11N http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/voodoo-wazoo-whats-in-the-headset

If it is shot, take it back to the store and get them to sort it, the bike is only months old! They are ~£15 new, but a direct replacement ought to be free in your situation.

@jameso 87cm is pedal axle to saddle height, ~69.5cm BB to saddle (175mm cranks), for my short ~31″ legs for someone 5’10” 😉

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ll fIsh out the paper work that came with it once I’m home from work tonight & give the Elgin store a buzz see what they say. If not I’ll get the guys at the LBS to check it out.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Has anyone got around the spacing issue when fitting the onone carbon fatty fork to the Wazoo.? I got one in the sale and re-space the axle by a few mm then re-dished the wheel slightly. Seems to work OK up to now.

jameso

That makes a lot more sense : ) ‘BB to Top’ mentioned on last page and I did think no wonder you have a bad back.. !

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@neilsonheels I purposely bought Fatty front wheel for £34 in current PX sale because it is Rear Disc Spaced, just like the carbon fatty fork. Kyak23 got round the spacing issue by lathing the disc mount.

How did you sort out a crown race for the carbon Fatty fork? I might end up asking Halfords to sort a race out for me, the 6 month service is due in September, the chaps who did the pdi were pretty decent.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How did you sort out a crown race for the carbon Fatty fork?

I’m the resident mechanic at my local Halfords so I had access to a park tool crown race remover. To be honest it was proper tight.

dahedd
    Free Member

Got the headset issue sorted, wasn’t bust, just me being dumb. Needed another washer/spacer under the new stem, wasn’t high enough too clamp properly.

So next upgrade (Xmas time or next year)….

Dropper post? http://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Plummet-Remote-Dropper-Seat-Post_70234.htm

Or

Suspension seat post? http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cane-Creek-Thudbuster-LT-Suspension-Seatpost_44793.htm

I’m thinking dropper post given what I’m most likely to be riding.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Check the base of your default post, from memory I think mine was/is 31.6mm.

Good to hear the headset was not shot already, I keep meaning to check up on 49OD straight steerer alternatives to the FSA 11N.

dahedd
    Free Member

The dropper on the link should fit fine. Plus it’s external so I can ziptie it onto the rear brake cable & route it that way.

holdsteady

Would be interested in seeing photos of your upgraded wazoos

dahedd
    Free Member

Tbf mine is fairly basic. I just swapped the stem, bars & tyres. Seen lovely green carbon forks on eBay though.

I’m still trying to decide about a seat post. Was in my FLB on thursday getting my full suss worked on. Guy there’s had fatties for years, think he’s got 3. He’s telling me just to get a carbon post & ignore the dropper, says the inherent flex in a carbon post is all i’ll need.

kayak23

holdsteady – Member
    Would be interested in seeing photos of your upgraded wazoos

On-One fatty carbon forks, carbon Raleigh DH bars, SDG I-Beam seat and post, funky DMR plastic pedals and ODI grips. Also ghetto tubeless. Lost a fair bit of weight from all that.

motomania
    Free Member

Hi Folks.
    My first post, apologies for not introducing myself as it is a bit of an emergency.
    Just bought a Wazoo Frame on Ebay.
    Can someone please tell me what size of hubs it would take or better give me the measurements of the original hubs ?

Thanks

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

135 front and 170 rear.

If it came with default fork, you want FDS front hub, unless you buy an RDS to FDS converter for ~£20.

motomania
    Free Member

Thanks, Nobody

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, Wazoo is QR front and rear, but you probably spotted that.

You fancy using http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-custom-mtb-disc-front-wheel/rp-prod63716 (and the rear option too) to get a set of wheels made up using Hope Fatsno hubs.

I’d go RDS front hub because it can be converted to FDS using http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/frame-fork-spares-c152/problem-solvers-fat-fork-disc-adaptor-p11825/s33072?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=problem-solvers-fat-fork-disc-adaptor-bdps0360&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CjwKEAjww9O3BRDp1tq0jIP023YSJAB0-j1SU_dsTW89rhaEqSptKAfBf-stt_eqsta-Bkx8U5jlQhoCLzTw_wcB , enabling you to fit the wheels to FDS forks like the default or RDS forks like the Fatty Carbon Fork at PX.

motomania
    Free Member

again Thanks Nobody.
    So I pulled the trigger on the frame believing that I had a set of good wheels lined up but it turned out the wheels where 150 front.

I’m looking at the link you gave me, is there other option for a set of wheels at a reasonable price ? I’m ok with all other components.

kayak23

Don’t on-one do wheels that fit the fatty?
    I’m considering selling mine complete. Shame as you’ve just bought the frame.

motomania
    Free Member

Kayak, on one do wheels alright but the price is a bit high as of today.
    what size is yours ? do you have upgrades ?
    thanks

kayak23

It’s a medium. No it’ll be put back to near stock as I want to take my carbon forks and bars over to my next fatty.
    It’s set up ghetto tubeless zero issues if that’s considered an upgrade…

motomania
    Free Member

Hi Folks, apologies for the probably silly question. Would the wazoo take a 1x 11 ? also I’m a bit unfit but I also do not expect to climb the alps in Ireland, would the 1×11 be enough for my legs ? thanks for any suggestion

dahedd
    Free Member

I’m looking to upgrade my set as well. Looking for suggestions.

dahedd
    Free Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but Kayak23 could you talk me through the way you did your Ghetto tubeless conversion. I take it you were using the default wheels that came with the bike.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Interested in this as well.

kayak23

No problem. There’s a few videos knocking about but basically;

*Removed all the rim tape.

*made fancy coloured rim tape by using some coloured duck tape which I wrapped around the rim sticky side out, secured with little bits of tape.

*Bought a camping mat for £5 from Argos and cut a continuous strip off it just wide enough to fill the ‘valley’ of the rim. Wrapped it around putting a tiny bit of stretch into it, cut it to length and taped the join.

*Got a 24″ inner tube and cut it with scissors all the way down the outermost seam. Cleaned it up of chalk.

*pushed the valve through the rim and secured it, then opened the tube out over the rim edges.

*mounted the tyre and wiped a bit of Stans along the tyre beads to help it pop easily then tried to move the tyre beads outwards as best I could.

*Put in about two little red cups of Stans.

*Put a luggage strap around the tyre to help keep it on the rim during the initial pop. An inner tube would probably do the same but this step is not always required.

*Connected my compressor, lifted the wheel slightly to take the weight, and gave it a quick blast. Mine popped into the rim very easily actually but you may need to mess about a bit to get it seated.

*Shake it about like a mofo.

*Trim excess split tube from rim.

*Go be radical.

I’ve not touched mine since. Been faultless.
    I’ve since put the Wazoo up for sale and got myself a Dune which I prefer so am going to try the same technique on that soon.

Good luck.

Edit. I think this is the main one I looked at before having a go.

[video]http://youtu.be/I_sUCYFmncw[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

i used v wide electical tape such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-BLACK-ELECTRICAL-PVC-INSULATION-TAPE-3-75mm-33m-EXTRA-LONG-SUPER-WIDE-BS3924-/162230796204?hash=item25c5b57fac:g:pvYAAOSwubRXMFiI
    twi wraps, tubelss valve and a bonty flash charger and they seem to work. very old battered rolling darryl rims here

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Decided to buy one of those DFS £56 cheesy rim and handsome hub rear 170mm q/r fat wheels. Knowing my luck, they will no doubt be reduced in the “cake number” sale to £42.

Should be a step-up from the default Wazoo rear and could well be a bit lighter too, figured it was worth getting to fit and keep default as an emergency backup.

Having deliberated for ages on what else to buy to qualify for free postage on orders over £100, given a lot of bits I wanted went up in price in this “lazy caterer” sale, I then discovered they have excluded wheel orders from this “offer!” No such issues back in the summer when I bought my FatNoFat set, plus I got cashback back then and that is gone too now. 👿

dahedd
    Free Member

Looking at getting a fat not fat 29er wheel set for mine, using it for a bit of commuting along a cycle path. Any ideas where I might find such a thing?

On-One did them I believe but I can’t seem to find them on the PX website

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I don’t think PX have produced any more since I grabbed the second to last set back in the summer. 🙁

ChainReaction do custom Hope wheels, but they don’t seem to stock the correct 170mm q/r rear Fatsno hub the Wazoo needs, while getting a front wheel built is going to set you back north of £150.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wheels?f=2258

PX do have 135mm q/r front hubs, but no rear 170mm q/r hubs that I can see, which at £21 might be worth having as a spare if not built into a wheel.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HUELFATF/el-guapo-fat-hub-32-hole-front

Might be worth keeping your eyes peeled on the classified here, UK Fat Bike and Ebay etc. I have some across PX FatNotfat wheelsets being for sale earlier in 2016, but I’ve not seen anything recently.

dahedd
    Free Member

Oh well nvm. Might get some slicks then instead. That our just splash out on a hybrid. Looking at coming in to Aberdeen along the old railway line.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sometimes I do wonder if I should have been more sensible instead of leftfield and gone with a Voodoo Marasa or similar, perhaps upgrading to a carbon fork. For £300, it’s a very decent spec bike, espcially if you get a nicer set of tyres.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx?search=26%20FAT have the Vee Speedsters (wish i had bought a set of the PX 26″ BSC Type1s now for ~£10, now got a set of the 29×2.3s) and more weighty Chicanes for ~£50 each.

I’ve not looked at bike bits that much recently, but I’m still waiting to spot the new Vee Apache fatty Slicks to buy in the UK, which might just fit our bikes… And then possibly faint at the asking price! 😆

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at this

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-3-2017-hybrid-bike-EV275573

but that Voodoo looks pretty good. I’d be doing about 60 miles a week in & out an old railway line. I was hoping to avoid getting another bike but its as cheap to get that as building new wheels would be.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Voodoo Wazoo upgrades’ is closed to new replies.