Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Volvo V70 D5. Reliable as a high mileage bike carrier?
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

Isn’t the D5 engine just an Audi 5 pot from the old 100 and early A6 models before they went to the V6 diesels?

singletrackmind

Dont think so . Its a Common rail, 20V twin cam . All Aluminium build with bore liners.Doesnt sound like 90’s tech to me ,but I could be wrong.
    Last tank lasted 790miles , and worked out at 55mpg . Filling up at 107.9 / ltr isnt as painful as it was .
    Tyres up to 25k now and appear about half worn . They were super cheap £37 ea new from Ebay chinese ditch finders, but have B rating for wet grip and C rating for braking iirc. Seem to steer and stop as wel as anyting else, but then Im not a dickhead who pretends / wants to be Lois Hamilton.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My old Citroen C5 though while running well is looking shaky around the hydraulic pipes. MOT of doom is just around the corner.
    Sorry to hear about the demise of the C5 – it’s a good few years since you trekked down here to MK to pick it up. Sounds like it’s done good service – hopefully you feel you got your money’s worth out of it

Dude, it passed its test with no advisories, it’s still going really well. I made three two and a half thousand mile round trips to France already this year in it. It’s provided sterling service. I foresee many more round trips to France in the next couple of years so really wanted a monster mile muncher of a car.

Once I get the new car home and the plates swapped I’ll sell it on again. There’s still a lot of life left in it as a bike carrying wagon.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Cor blimey if I could get 38-42 I’d be more than happy, I’d be getting a manual too so will likely be a higher mpg still. I had visions of it being much thirstier so that’s good to hear.

Getting to the stage now where I’m reading too much and coming across the inevitable stories of mechanical issues, but I guess you’ll always find that no matter which car. Seems the same with the passat so guess it’s just time to bite the bullet and hope for the best!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

We have a 10 plate xc60 D5 4wd Auto and on a ‘brisk’ run we can manage 36 mpg. On a cruise , I have seen 46mpg, but that was Miss Daisy driving. We just had it serviced at Volvo and was £250 all in ( fixed price servicing). That included VAT and a years european breakdown and recovery and system updates, which is pretty reasonable.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Volvo used the Audi derived 5 pot diesel until 2001 then it was discontinued after that and Volvo manufactured their own unit.

-m-
    Free Member

Dude, it passed its test with no advisories, it’s still going really well. I made three two and a half thousand mile round trips to France already this year in it. It’s provided sterling service. I foresee many more round trips to France in the next couple of years so really wanted a monster mile muncher of a car.

Hooray!

fizik
    Free Member

Comparing with a 2.0, sure, but that doesn’t make much sense. The volvo makes just a couple of bhp more than the old 2.2 tdci, but roughly half the torque, so it’s actually a bit slower, and certainly felt weaker on the road. And the claimed mpg is pretty bad too, IIRC it’s about £100 more tax per year as a result.

I am glad you like your mondeo. The old 163 made 340 Nm, I am guessing your mondeo 400Nm? Hardly double is it, besides there is more to it than sheer torque, the fact that every tdci engine I have heard sounds like a whiney bag of spanners from the outside would put me off straightaway, not to mention how quickly fords start to look dated. Besides in 10 years time a volvo will still be running, the mondeo likely wont (how many old ones do you see given how many they sold?) And if you compare like for like engines in terms of model year the D5 obviously was available in higher outputs of course up to 215bhp. Economy wise I cant argue (although I have been surprised how good it is with a heavy right foot) nor with tax but at the end of the day for me personally an engine should have character which the 5 cyl d5 has together with refinement a 4cyl cannot match… Currently have a c30 d5 180/400. Will likely get another 2nd phase V70 next, 185bhp variety with a remap. Its a shame the new d5’s are 4 bangers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Picked up the V70 on Friday and drove it back to Fife.

First impressions were pretty good. It’s a robust tank of a car.

Despite it having a new MOT the wishbone bushes seem worn, causing some wooly steering.

For those that have them and self spanner, is it worth from,acing them with genuine Volvo parts or will pattern parts suffice. Intend to keep it until it dies so perhaps the genuine parts would make financial sense.

MPG was pretty good, mostly on motorways it returned just shy of 50mpg.

Marko

Don’t bother with genuine parts.Stick to OE suppliers like Mahle,Lemforder, Mann and Hummel and TRW.

GSF are good on Volvo, but always ask for the ‘best’ or top quality.

Hth
    Marko

Northwind

fizik – Member

I am glad you like your mondeo. The old 163 made 340 Nm, I am guessing your mondeo 400Nm? Hardly double is it, besides there is more to it than sheer torque

You’re right enough though, I’d misremembered the numbers. The mondeo is 400nm but that’s without the transient overboost, so it’s more like 33% more torque, but delivered higher and for longer. The difference in performance is substantial though- bottom line is the volvo drives and feels a lot slower on the road.

And if you compare like for like engines in terms of model year the D5 obviously was available in higher outputs of course up to 215bhp.

That’s more unlike for like don’t you think? 😆

I like the volve, I like the mondeo too but I’m mostly responding to your comments on the mondeo which were frankly pretty silly. The volvo has real strengths but engine performance is not one.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This may morph into a repair blog of Stoner scaled proportions.

I swapped the wishbones and ball joints and it restored the handling. I’ve fitted two new tyres and it feels sharper still. I’ll give it a few miles to settle in, I may replace the track rod ends too and possibly a four wheel realignment.

RustyNissanPrairie

Don’t get too excited about the handling-its a massively heavy car with a million bits soft squidgy bits of rubber between the wheels and you.
    Polybushing is supposed to make a big difference but at the expense of comfort

DaveP

Friend has XC70, 03 plate with something like 140k miles.
    He has had it from new.
    He loves it, gets it serviced by the main dealer. Has had minor things go wrong with it.

I am tempted by one purely based on his experiences.

And he gets up to 45mpg.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Quick update

Never one to trust service histories I took the precaution of changing the timing belt and water pump. Code reader said it had low turbo pressure. A turbo boost solenoid and turbo boost sensor revived it to full power. I changed all the fluids and filters and all seems tickety boo.

Half way on a road trip to France. Fife to Dover on a little more than £50’s worth of diesel with no real determination to drive economicaly. Im astonished to get that out of a 185bhp six speed manual tank.

MrOvershoot

So about 51mpg?
    I know its a bit of a weighty car but that is about right if I have done my sums right for a good motorway run.

mildred

They’re good cars; the naysayers will also be those who won’t needlessly pay for genuine Volvo parts, then moan that this that & the other has gone wrong. Along with landrover discovery 4’s I drive them every day of the year; I love the discos but each and every one of them has had numerous engines & gearboxes whereas the vilvos keep on plodding away. As far as I know all of the vilvos are on their originals.

We originally had them chipped for performance but this caused issues of over-fuelling and forcing diesel past the Pistons into the sump, requiring a 6-weekly sump drain (these cars run around the clock and are thrashed well beyond anything anyone on here will ever do with their own vehicle). The ecu’a were re-programmes by Volvo and have been fine since.

Compared to the old shape v70 t5’s they replaced, they have the turning circles of a taxi cab. I don’t like the weird floating dash th by where the radio is situated – waste of space – but they’re comfy, tough, carry shit loads and go on & on & on (if you use Volvo original parts).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Five or so months of V70 ownership and I’m convinced it’s the best value for money high mileage estate you can buy, with the caveat that you have a decent Volvo savvy mechanic nearby. I’ve made a couple of return trips to France from Scotland without complaint. If anything my only complaint is that the journeys weren’t longer.

I got caught out in some unexpected snow which freaked me out a bit on summer rubber. Serendipitously some winter tyres on steel rims appeared over on the classifieds, they’ve transformed the handling on the white stuff immeasurably. When it dies I’ll have no hesitation in replacing it with another.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/volvo-for-sale-3

They’re pretty good when trees fall on them.

hora
    Free Member

Mcmoonter geatronic or avoid? The V70 is on my ‘to own at some point list’. They are sublime cool. Whereas Audi’s are mass market look at ‘meh’

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I get 47 average (brim to brim calc not computer on d5)

Well know in the trade to be a real mixed bag.

Three d5s here. I love them but would not want to own one if I could not work on them myself.

Injectors fail
    Intercoolers made of cheese
    Dmfs made of putty
    Hoses made of Bath sealant
    Turbo good for 100k
    Torque steer kills front tyres unless you drive like Mrs daisy
    Dual pulley cam / Aux belt design – really bad!

boblo
    Free Member

Mine’s geartronic but it buggers up the fuel consumption compared to what McMoonter is reporting.

singletrackmind

my door control ecu has just packed up. I left it in bargain basement off site airport parking and think it was moved around a yard alot as it had a flat battery on return.
    I guess they jumped it wrongly and a surge borked the door cotrol unit as I have losr drivers window up / down, drivers door central locking , and drivers door mirror heating and movement
    Volvo , in their infinate wisdom fitted a one time flash memory chip in the door that is coded to the car. Scrapyard ons do not work.
    Its £500 to get it fixed. which is a more than I am prepared to pay.
    McM .- Change your pas fluid as well , they dont like running on old fluid , if you havent already , supposed to make the rack last longer as well

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Make sure you remove dead leaves from the scuttle boards and unblock the drain holes. My S60 (2005 model) died after the entire engine management system corroded after water ingressed through the plennum gasket.
    Volvo wouldnt warranty it either…barstewards.

euain

the naysayers will also be those who won’t needlessly pay for genuine Volvo parts, then moan that this that & the other has gone wrong.

er.. no.. try again. Volvo owned before we got it and dealer serviced since.

I’m glad others are getting on better than we have been – but Volvo’s not where I’m looking for my next car. That said, if I need to be in a car and have a tree fall on it – the Volvo’s going to be near the top of the list of cars to do it in. Glad you’re OK CFH!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Hora, mine is a six speed manual. A friend had a geartronic which self destructed whilst overtaking a truck on the A9. That put me off, my mechanic says the manuals are more reliable. I did change the gear oil as a precaution though. I changed the power steering fluid too.

I think the best mpg I’ve seen on the dash was 54mpg at a cruise controlled sixty in sixth gear all the way up the A9.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V70 D5. Reliable as a high mileage bike carrier?’ is closed to new replies.