Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Volvo V70 "anti skid service" light
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Keeps coming on if i park with wheels not straight! then says “temporarily turned off”

What is the “anti skid service”
    should i be worried
    is it a “normal issue” when the wheels aren’t straight as it never shows when i park with straight wheels!!

zokes
    Free Member

What is the “anti skid service”

Keeps your grundies clean?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends on what model year and what platform (V70 or V70II).
    But it could be steering angle sensor fault, wheel speed sensor fault, software reflash or faulty ABS module.
    You’d need to get fault codes read to see which it is. Any one with VIDA should be able to pull those off and tell you the most likely problem. (Check connectors too!)

If it’s the ABS module (which is expensive to replace) i’ve heard that it *can* be repaired, you’ll probably have to google and DIY though. As a garage is unlikely to want to muck around with it.

iamanobody
    Free Member

dead helpful 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it for sale?

thenorthwind

Get a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader? Might help you narrow down what might be an expensive problem if you start throwing parts at it.

wwaswas

Is it for sale?

Step right up, step right up, step right up
    You got it buddy: the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Davesport

Had this recently with wife’s XC70 after the WB’s were replaced. The code reader identified an error on the NS wheel speed sensor. Easy fix but you need to narrow it down before replacing anything. All of the ABS faults I’ve looked at were either wheel sensors/wiring or corroded ABS rings.

wwaswas

My guess is that as it’s wheel position sensitive it’ll be a connection issue to one of the front wheels.

iamanobody
    Free Member

not for sale no – why do you ask??

wwaswas

just out of interest, I expect.

iamanobody
    Free Member

2005 v70 btw
    2.4 td

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had the same thing on an XC90 but it kicked in while just driving along. It was a cracked ABS ring. Cost £40ish for a new one off a chap on eBay plus fitting by my local indy garage.

Dolcered

had that on my C30 (long rest its soul) turned out to be a warranty issue, that I was just out of. Volvo did a 50:50 good will gesture on the brake control module.

littlerob

Been getting that for a while on an XC-90. Volvo main dealer said it was a wheel angle sensor ~ £500 to replace. This raises 2 questions:

a) Do I really need one? (I’ve no idea what it does, or when).

b) Might a local place do it more cheaply?

To clarify (b) I’ve rather fallen out with the main dealer over a previous repair issue and have been using a local chap. I’ve not asked for a quote (yet) and it is on my list of things to do (before we take the car to the Alps in Feb!)

Rob

mrjmt
    Free Member

Where are you OP? I’m in York and have the Volvo VIDA code reader if you’d like your codes read?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve had this on several volvos and it can be a multitude of things unfortunately as many things control the Antiskid/ABS.

In my cases it usually turned out to be an ABS sensor (x 3) which is relatively easy and cheap to fix, £80ish for the sensor and an hour or so of swearing threading it in to the engine bay. On one occasion it was a brake pressure sensor which was slightly more.

iamanobody
    Free Member

i’m in sheffield

Legoman
    Free Member

I’ve been getting the same on my wife’s 2010 XC90 – does anyone know what functions it’s disabling when it say’s ‘temporarily turned off’?

Is it the ABS (in which case I need to get it fixed pronto), or something else related to traction control etc?

Cheers

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Usually it’s that ABS function which forms part of the anti-skid function from what I understand.

If it’s an XC90 the first thing I would check is that the drive shaft bolts are tight / actually still there as they are notorious for coming loose / escaping. This then causes a ABS sensor error which in turn throws up the Brake system service / Anti-Skid system service errors.

CHB

I had this on my 2005 model year XC90. I also had something like “brake system service”. I was convinced it was likely due to cracked ABS ring. My local friendly Motosave in Hunslet, Leeds did a scan for me. It turned out to be the ABS controller…. eek! these are £500 and need coding to the car.
    I removed the controller myself and with judicious use of dremel, a soldering iron, silicone sealant and some contact cleaner I “repaired” the module. The point being that there are a number of things on Volvos that can throw an ABS fault. ABS controllers are a common one, but so are stearing angle sensors and ABS rings! Car is now fixed and it cost me only half a day and £6 for some industrial silicone sealant.
    Motosave in Leeds are brilliant. I always keep them well supplied with biscuits every time I visit as they always go above and beyond.

CountZero

Is it for sale?

Step right up, step right up, step right up
    You got it buddy: the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Waderider
    Free Member

I have Vida/DICE dealer software here at postcode PH34. Happy to read your codes for a bottle of red. Doubt an OBDII reader will cope.

Mind you PH34 is in the Highlands and you probably live miles away. Some of the guesses above sound intelligent.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve had this twice on my P2 / 2004 V70.
    First time was cracked ABS rings-few quid off eBay and a few hours fitting them myself. Fault only occurred at +30/40mph.
    2nd time was the CV stub axle bolt had come loose as mentioned above. The bolts are a stretch fit and must be replaced when undone. A Volvo service bulletin is to replace them with XC90 bolts. The tightening procedure is to a torque setting followed by an angle amount.

Check the bolts first as it’s the easiest, yours does sound like it’s the clock spring though in the steering column – I’d absolutely double check it occurs as you said it does as the clock spring is fairly expensive.

There is a fairly decent DIY level ODB/Volvo specific code reader – mine was ~£60 that has been invaluable with mine

muzz
    Free Member

Front ABS ring

iamanobody
    Free Member

Had the codes read and came back as an abs pressure sensor – mechanic said not an issue as such just “annoying”
    anyone add to it?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V70 "anti skid service" light’ is closed to new replies.