Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Volvo V60 D4 / D5 – Small Estate but is it too small……
  • harrytoo
    Free Member

Looking at a Volvo V60 in either the D4 or D5 flavour prefer the look of the r-design spec.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Looking at something a couple of years old, probably 3 or 4 years old, lowish milage.

It is obviously smaller than a Mondeo; also smaller than the equivalent 3 series or A4, but is it too small? bike will mainly be put on the roof but there are times when it needs to go inside.

Any experiences good or bad??

mrjmt
    Free Member

My wife has just swapped her company car with a colleague and now has a V60 D4.

Not put the bike in yet, but will be on saturday, large 29er but I reckon it’ll go in fine.

I used to have an old V40, seems a similar size and that could take a bike with both wheels on or two bikes with front wheels off.

Reckon it’ll be fine.

To drive, however is a different story. I’ve only taken it out a couple of times and I drive a 3.0 Z4 so its a bit different to what i’m used to but the D4 doesn’t feel particularly quick, and the gear throw is mental, like mentally mental. Its like changing gear in an old van!

Comfy though, and seems to be more solid than her previous passat / A3 / Golf, the interior is deffo better built.

Ben_H

I had a V60 D5 in SE Lux spec, from 2012-14, as a company car.

Very grunty once on the move; easily the equal of 2.0 turbo’d petrol hatches that I’d previously had. Slightly squidgy turn-in, but a tidy handler overall (chassis was developed by Volvo for the S/V/XC60/70/80 and nicked for the Mondeo, rather than the other way around).

Ace interior with much higher quality touch/feel bits than A4/C-Class etc. Mine had a lovely tan trim, massive spec and integrated booster seats. Unfortunately, my wife wouldn’t drive it (“too big) and so it went when we downsized to a single car.

We’re a family of 4 and subsequently had a Golf R32, which had 285 litres of boot space. If we could cope with that, then you can definitely cope with a V60’s slightly smaller-than-average boot!!

Bikes were fine on the roof and fine inside the boot, with wheels off.

fionap

Currently have a V60 D5 R-design, acquired when it was a year old. It goes more than quickly enough and we haven’t noticed any issues with the gears as above. Great car overall and bikes go in easily enough, though it’s easier if the front wheels are removed.
    The best bit is that it isn’t a 3-series so people don’t treat you like you’re scum and there aren’t many on the roads.

db

Mine is a 63 plate D4 (so has the new low c02 4 cyl engine). Company car from new with about 50k miles on it now.

Love it, not noticed any issue with the gearbox throw but last car was a Berlingo. MORE than fast enough for me and get into license loosing 3 figure speeds very quickly with only a bit of wind noise.

Seems well made, comfortable (mine has 16 inch wheels I think the r-design has bigger).

Long service intervals and I will consider another next time I swap.

Bikes for me go on the roof as need to keep the inside nice.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Hmm, perhaps I’ll tell my wife to mention the throw on the shifter next time its in the garage! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V60 D4 / D5 – Small Estate but is it too small……’ is closed to new replies.