Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Volvo V50 thoughts and what to look for?
  • pguy78
    Free Member

Going to look at a volvo v50 it’s a 2008 with low mileage, basic spec anything I should be on the look out for? Looks like a good price having had a nose around autotrader and the like. It’s a 1.8 petrol by the way.

curvature
    Free Member

I had a 60 plate V50 Drive.

We’ll made but not that big inside. They are vey narrow but I took 4 bikes on the roof and a small kids bike in the boot along with my wife and 2 kids to France and back without any issues.

I did have one problem and that was that the 12v socket in the boot is permanently live so managed to drain the battery in France with a cooler box running overnight.

The aircon compressor is located low down as my wife managed to destroy it on a rather large speed bump a relatively low speed.

timber

Got a 2.0D and whilst it looks good to me and is better put together than most things the same size, I’m looking for a Mk3 Mondeo like I had before or a Legacy to replace it. Pain to work on too, but if you’re not the one that fixes it, that don’t matter I guess. Not one for enthusiastic driving either.
    Not as bad as I make it sound, just too sensible a car for me right now.

pguy78
    Free Member

Need something bigger than my mk5 golf. This one looks a good buy for the price. Not sure about about the 1.8 petrol as going from a 2.0 diesel gt. Will take it out for a spun to see.

grim168
    Free Member

I test drove a 1.8 petrol v50 but found it too small in the boot and for legroom in the back. Was a nice enough car just too small. I bought a passat.

astormatt
    Free Member

I have a 2005 V50 so the pre-facelift. I genuinely love it to be honest. I mean it does handle like a barge and I get around 220 miles to a tank (I have the T5) but it does everything I want and in comfort.
    Things to look out for are the air con compressor as they are low down like curvature has said. The suspension components seem to be made of cheese so it is worth looking at what has been replaced as could be costly to fix if you have multiple items that need replacing.
    Interior wise it seems to be holding up well considering its on 121k now with no annoying rattles or squeaks.
    I would definitely recommend a test drive of one. People on the owners club seem to like the 1.8 petrol if you are not doing big miles that might warrant a diesel.

Inbred456
    Free Member

If you’re going from a decent diesel to a 1.8 petrol you’ll never forgive yourself after a month or so and you’ll probably sell it within a year. They are as flat as a f@rt the petrols especially if it’s the old ford petrol. If its the GDI Mitsubishi version only slightly better but costly to fix. Buy a higher mileage diesel or a big petrol and use some of the cash saved to pay for injectors later on or toward fuel bills. You will hate it !!!!!

T5 sounds good!

timber

Should add that mine is also pre-facelift like astormatt and that it is really comfy car for long motorway journeys, just not for making progress on country roads. 150k and nothing but service parts so far

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has one. Comfy, reliable, but smaller than you think. In stereotypical stw mode, I reckon our Octavia estate has more practical space, which was our main reason for looking at medium sized estates. Your priorities may be different.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My T5R was very quick, very thirsty and very small. I loved it but it didn’t really have the space for a proper family holiday. Nice car but more lifestyle than load lugger. I suppose it depends on what you need but even getting a bike in meant wheels off and seats down.

porter_jamie

Its a focus with fancy clothes on.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

blocked sunroof drains = wet carpets

passtherizla
    Free Member

FYI it’s the same size as a golf estate.

porter_jamie

or exactly the same as a focus…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V50 thoughts and what to look for?’ is closed to new replies.