Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Volvo V50 – opinions
  • unsponsored
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a Volvo V50 and am after real life opinions.

Looking at a 1.6 diesel D2 R-Design.

andyfla
    Free Member

No idea on that particular version – but we have had 3 major (over £500) repairs to the air con on our 06 one – apparently it is situated quite low down and is susceptible to stone strikes which break things !

Other than that they are great – although we have the 2.0D – 140bhp

munrobiker
    Free Member

My dad has a 2009 one (now run by my mum) which has had several issues too. 1.8 R design. Not too bad to drive but having seen all the little issues he’s had with it (and the V70 he had before and the V60 he currently runs) I’d not bother.

Rockape63
    Free Member

We’ve had an 06 2,0d sport wagon. The alternator went in 2011 at £500 and we’ve had an elec issue caused by corrosion of wires in the door. Other than that it’s a good car.

andyfla
    Free Member

Oh yes the alternator went at 110K miles (£350).

Would I buy another one ? yes unless Saab make a comeback ……

bland

They aren’t anywhere near as big as you think they are or look from the outside

andyfla
    Free Member

They aren’t anywhere near as big as you think they are or look from the outside

Couldn’t agree more – Ford focus size inside ?

TooTall
    Free Member

I had one from 05 until earlier this year. I only sold it because I left the country. It was a 2.0D. A great car, one of the most comfortable I’ve ever owned, not big inside, drives really well, gives good MPG, no serious faults.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

It is based on the Focus. hence the sizing. They share the same chassis. But I own a 2.0 D and its a great car. Much nicer than the Focus. Have driven one and thought the Volvo was leagues ahead in build quality and finish. Engine pulls well. 1.6 D is cheaper to tax but more stressed.

timber

Got an 05 2.0D, whilst it’s better than a lot of things the same size, I’m not that impressed and wouldn’t have another. I like the looks and how the seats fold down, but that is about it, the rest is a bit of a disappointment. If I keep it, the bloody DPF will be getting by-passed.
    The Mk3 Mondeo estate it replaced was quicker, handled a lot better and was far more economical. Neither do I expect the Volvo to reach 250k quite as easily.

If we get another car this size, it will either be a 3-series or one of the earlier Foresters. But the quality of bigger cars is much better and the cost not so much of an issue once a few years old.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Looking at a 1.6 diesel D2 R-Design.

Mrs BrownDog has one of these. It drives very well, nice and comfy and great build quality. Nothing gone wrong with it in 3 years and 20,000 miles. The 2.0D is the better engine ^^^, though my wife finds the 1.6 more than powerful enough. And if you have kids who like biscuits and a highly strung small hairy dog, you will be pleased to learn it will be the easiest car to clean that you have ever owned.

superdan

My girlfriend has a 2008 1.6D, I drive a Renault Trafic for putting muddy bikes and dog in. It drives well on long trips, we managed 4 + Skis/Snowboards up to Cairngorm (3 and a bit hours each way) in reasonable comfort. I like that it feels like a go-kart to drive compared with the van and the integrated dog-net thing stops it wandering about too much, but it is tiny inside for the length (her bike + lurcher is pushing it even with the seats down), there is something flapping (engine cover maybe) at 60mph. Also, the DPF, WTF? It’s all a bit razorblade/printer cartridge business model like for my tastes.

pnik

Ive a 58 1.6 DRIVe V50, done 50k ish miles in just over 2 years in it. I really like it and £30 a year tax. Not much room in the back though, but for me, my bike and a bunch of business miles its been great.
    I had a problem with the alarm randomly going off when I first got it, but dealer fixed it.
    I wanted a small volvo estate, thats what it is. Still happy and intend to run it into the ground however long that takes. Children have been told to stop growing though.

Marmoset
    Free Member

You’ll have a looong wait pnik, I sold my 2.0d to my brother when we emigrated 2 years ago, I’d only put 1 wheel bearing on it over and above regular service items and my brother had a new water pump put on it when he had the timing belt changed at 144k miles. It’s now 8 years old and still going really well.

They’re not the bigegst car but it’s probably had the comfiest seats of any car I’ve owned. 6 hour drives are no problem.

pjm84
    Free Member

Have a V70 1.6 R Design. Like the engine. Pulls well but short torque band. I’ve done 20k in 14 months. Come replacement time I might look at the D4 but happy with the D2. £30 VED / £260 insurance.

Drive hard and consumption is mid 40s. Gentle right foot and high 50s are possible. Managed 61.3mpg the other day.

Only downside is servicing at 12500miles. £250 / £400 a go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V50 – opinions’ is closed to new replies.