Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Volvo V50 any owners on here?
  • renton
    Free Member

My old dear is looking at selling her old Honda accord tourer for a Volvo V50.

Has anyone on here got one of driven one that can give me some pointers on things to look out for on them.

thanks

Steve

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

What engine would she be looking for? I have a 2008 1.6 diesel and it’s been pretty faultless, apart from the diesel particulate filter (DPF). They’re a pain on many cars, but mine went and cost me £650. On the smaller engines, an additive for it needs topping up every 30k or so. I’d make sure that’s been maintained. Cam belt not needed until 150k on mine, so little need to worry about that. Otherwise AFAIA all good. They’re a solid, if boring a 2 b car. I plan to put interstellar mileage on mine.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I have one. but I know nothing about cars. Soz

MoreCashThanDash

Mate had the estate. Nice, comfy, dull, boot smaller than you’d think or want

renton
    Free Member

Thanks trailrider Jim.

I think they are looking at a diesel but iirc they are the same engines that are in the same age ford’s. I had a 2.0 tdci which gave me loads of dpf and egr problems.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Yep, the whole car up to 2008 (and slightly beyond?) was built on the Focus estate platform, so essentially the same car.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

2 ltr V50 owner here. People say its boring? Well, its no rocket ship, but I was on the point of suicide with the Accord CTDi we had previously, so in my eyes is much nicer to drive. Based on the Focus platform, uses a lot of Ford bits. Means rear pads are 20 quid. Does not drive like the focus. Drove a works one and it was woeful. Nice to drive, lots of gadgets. DPF is propbably its only weakness and dealer prices for bits. Just been quoted £333.13 for a new alloy wheel 🙄 They wont be selling one to me, believe me. Engines are the psa diesels. If you can find one, go for the 5 cyl diesel. Its a Volvo based engine and is better, although the 2 ltr is quite torquey and does pick up its heals when needed. We like ours a lot and is ideal for our carrying needs, although bikes go on the towbar.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Got an 06 2.0d with 18 in wheels which looks good and goes well. Not got anything like the build quality of my Audi and the DMF packed up at 88k miles £1200 🙁

But a decent motor overall

turbo1397
    Free Member

Ive got an S40 (essentially the same but with a boot). As peeps said above its a focus with a volvo body.. but some of the 2.0D dont share the same engines as the focus.. parts are cheap if you dont buy from the stealers. Usual problems if its a diesel- dmf’s.. dpf’s, egr valves etc. You can get them without a DPF.. just few and far between.. I managed to track one down without a dpf, roadtax is a bit higher but i dont mind as it saves a world of problems with the dpf. head over to http://www.volvoforums.org.uk for a wealth of info. 😀

Mugboo

Thrustsjust, what’s wrong with the Accord?

Renton, which Accord & how much?

renton
    Free Member

Mugboo.

It’s an 03 plate executive nice motor but has done 200k now.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mugboo, we got it as an ex deme with 3k miles on it. We just didn’t like it. Don’t get me wrong, Hondas are great cars, but it was just so bland. The engine wasn’t that great. It got you from a to b, but it was so bland. The boot wasn’t tall enough to put bikes in, unless you put seats down and laid them out or stripped them of seatposts and bars etc. The boot has an electric motor for closure, which brings the roof space on the lhs down and always snagged things. We lost the clutch at 20 k miles, which was a master cylinder issue, which let the clutch slip, although you never felt it. All sorted by Honda, although was 4 months out of warranty, so we had to pay £450 towards it 🙄 . Wheels , we got through about a dozen , all under warranty again from corrosion. Driver seat was showing scuffs very early in life. Fuel economy was better with our 2.5 V6 Audi. We wanted to like it, but it just didn’t do it for us. Others will love it, but we were glad to see it go.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m a bit late replying to this topic, but my input still might be relevant.

I have a 2006 pre-facelift, 2.0D SE with 103,000 miles on the clock, 5 years of family use by us, and it still looks fresh. It hasn’t been without issues, but I cleaned the EGR myself to fix the starting problems, the alternator went, some wishbone things needed replacing, a wheel bearing, but most of that is general maintenance stuff and to be expected from most cars. I’m waiting for the turbo and the DMF to fail, but no signs of it happening yet, so who knows how long I’ve got? Again, normal stuff for a diesel car of that age, and I can’t blame Volvo for that.

Strange thing is, I got an itch to replace it recently, and took myself off to the local Alfa Romeo and Skoda dealer to look at couple of cars. I’ve always loved the idea of an Afla, and tested a Giulietta MultiAir with 170bhp. Really underwhelmed to be honest – didn’t feel fast, not inspiring to drive, had no real confidence in the brakes, and terrible seats for me. Got back in the V50 and it felt fast, comfy, handled and stopped well and felt solid as a rock. You don’t know what you’ve got till you lose it, as they say.

I liked the Skoda Yeti, but the amount of money I’d have to fork out for it made little sense as the V50 was just as good in many areas.

The V50 is a good car; not the best, I know, but it’s like a Honda VFR – does most things well. It doesn’t handle like a sports car, but I enjoy driving it on B-Roads, as the supple suspension and meaty steering inspire confidence. I think it handles well, but perhaps anything above 8 tenths shows up the limits of the set up. No bad thing really for a family car! It’s fairly economical, it’s very comfy, with the best array of seat and wheel positions in any car I’ve sat in – electric memory seats help! I like to sit fairly far back as I have long legs, but also like the wheel close to me. I can do that in the V50, and no other car, apart from a Focus (strange that) and other Volvos have come close. Boot isn’t massive, but it’s a good shape and, with the seats down is usefully long. It feels fairly quick, especially compared to the Alfa, although I know it isn’t, and I think I’ll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future, and will fix anything that goes wrong.

If I’d replied two weeks ago I might have said it was a bit dull, but I think the other qualities outshine that. sometimes, it’s good to be able to relax and cruise around without stress, especially after a long ride!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve had a V50 T5R on a 58 and now have an Accord Estate on a 54 so the other way round!

The Volvo was great, the Honda is great. Not much help I’ll grant you but if they like the Volvo they will be fine it’s a lovely car. Really good seats BTW dead comfy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V50 any owners on here?’ is closed to new replies.