Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Volvo Trucks – Emergency braking at its best!
  • manciman
    Free Member

Awesome engineering

d4
    Free Member

Surely can’t be loaded to stop that quick?

manciman
    Free Member

Not sure the vehicle behind the Volvo would stop.

Kuco

According to the comments the trailer is loaded to 40 tons

cardo

That’s impressive…

smatkins1
    Free Member

That’s very impressive! Volvo comment on vid says fully loaded to 40tonnes!!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I saw something on Top Gear many years ago (back when it used to be a serious programme) that was very sobering. It was the unveiling of the first HGV with ABS. At the end of the section the presenter did caution that despite being very good, the ABS braked HGV could still not out-brake an average family car without ABS!

Remember that next time you’re being followed by an HGV, especially one that’s never heard of the 2 second gap rule.

franksinatra

I reckon they need a mahossive air bag to go on the back of the trailer for the car that will inevitably rear end it.

Impressive stuff.

Brycey
    Free Member

“Remember that next time you’re being followed by an HGV, especially one that’s never heard of the 2 second gap rule.”

Unless of course it’s a Volvo FH, then you’re ‘laughing’.

downshep

Seriously impressive. Wonder if they can factor in coupling angles to this system and the ABS to allow auto braking on bends without jackknifing. Absolute life saver.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Very impressive indeed but there are a few ‘buts’ here…….

40t isn’t fully loaded. 44t is fully loaded.
    The one behind the white car was only doing 36-37 mph. (60km/h on the speedo)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post

Brycey
    Free Member

Without wanting to pedantic PP, it’s a 4×2 unit so 40t is maximum gvw in UK at least. Bloody impressive engineering.

Elmo
    Free Member

The final sentence is about collision control.
    So i’d imagine its when the truck senses that your approaching on something to fast and takes over. Sorting the 2 second rule for you!
    Also being fully loaded may be what helps it stop so quickly, plenty of weight to hold the tyres firm and not lose traction.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Hmmm – wonder if it’s a volvo trailer too…

Surely the quality of the brakes on the trailer would make a huge difference.

fisha
    Free Member

Very impressive.

From experience , truck brakes are powerful. I locked up all 4 axles of a loaded tipper to stop for a kid a few years back.

Olly
    Free Member

That is mad. wonder how it handles on the corners… though tbh a lorry would likely be taking the corners more gingerly anyway, this is for a dozey driver on the boring motorway bits i guess!

if im ever in the market for a new car, it will be a volvo. They seem to be the company doing the most to protect the people around them, not just the occupants. Love the cyclist air bags being fitted on the new air bags from may this year!

Pigface
    Free Member

Wow does this mean that truckers can pay less attention to the road. Very impressive though. That vid also shows how limited the view is of things close to the front of the truck.

Elmo
    Free Member

A brand new fully bias balanced trailer i’d imagine!

My truck will happily lock up if you get a bit foot happy in the wet.
    Drives and feels a lot better with a load on, but it is a world away in age and technology from that Volvo!

br
    Free Member

5th Gear did a test with cars (Polo, Volvo and big Merc) with this kinda tech fitted.

The Merc failed pretty comprehensively.

pjm84
    Free Member

My Volvo V70 has a similar system. Not sure I really want to leave it that late to see if the brakes are applied automatically.

Marge
    Free Member

I’ve spent quite some days working at that place.
    At the top of the hill, there’s a marksman ready to take out errant wildlife….

footflaps

Impressive braking for 40 Tonnes!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

It’ll no doubt be an optional extra that will get overlooked in favour of big roof mounted spot lights by our supposed hard up haulage industry

manciman
    Free Member
    mikey-simmo
    Free Member

You’d need it to follow the average Volvo driver. Random stopping/slowing/parking signaling come as standard.

Davesport

They’ve got a similar system fitted to the cars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eChAKm1t3U 😯

JAG

I may have said this before but I design car brakes for a living.

For the last thirty years cars have been able to stop like that truck or faster!

Biggest problem designing brakes for trucks is allowing for the weight change between empty and fully loaded.

Although the biggest ‘issue’ with stopping any vehicle is getting the driver to realise he needs to stop – hence we’ve spent a lot of time trying to overcome the weak link (the driver) by fitting systems like this one.

dibboid
    Free Member

I can honestly say as a class 1 truck driver of 11 yrs I’ve never known a truck generally drive as well as a volvo. The company I work for changes their units every 2 yes for new ones and we’ve had volvo fh13 460’s For 4 years now, and you don’t even need the foot brake on them, the engine/exhaust brake combined can bring you to a stop fully loaded.
    Yes 5 axle combo is 40 tons as I drive a 6 axle combo at 44t which is the usual uk standard.

if im ever in the market for a new car, it will be a volvo.

Pointless as volvo trucks is volvo, but volvo cars are owned by a chinese company called Geely Automobile Holdings.

wayniac
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that these auto collision avoidance systems become mandatory by EU law for all trucks from 2015 onwards. You can the little camera that does the object detection in the bottom right just above the dash.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Volvo Trucks – Emergency braking at its best!’ is closed to new replies.