Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Volvo replacement car keys
  • teenrat

Ive got a 2003 V40 and ive lost my car key. I hate only having the one key left. I went to Timpsons but they couldnt copy the key due to it being locked!?!. Ive since looked on the web and it seems that it could be a dealer only job at a cost of £200 or so!!! Is this the case? Has anyone had to replace volvo keys and has anyone got any ideas about any cheaper ways to get a working key that will start the car

bencooper
    Free Member

A common thing with modern car keys I think – a friend had to get a new key for her second-hand Merc A-Class, and it ended up costing around £500!

Problem is it’s not just a mechanical key, it also has a RFID chip which communicates with the car. That was the problem with hers at least.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Not sure if it works for all cars but some you can get two keys cut without the fob, so just a normal key, then tape the original somewhere inside the steering column. The transponder in your key should communicate with the car whhile the normal keys you got cut will unlock the doors and start the ignition.

Waderider
    Free Member

I lost a key on a 2008 Mitsubishi recently. Local auto locksmith had no bother cutting me a key and programming a chip for about 1/3 of the dealer price.

I’m pretty sure there is pointless panic here 🙂

teenrat

Just an update to anyone who owns a volvo from the early 2000’s, it is £270 to get a replacement key!! These keys can only be programmed by the dealer

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hum. I need a new key for my car as one has stopped working. I shudder to think what the bill will be.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Had to get a replacement key for the missus’ 05 V70. From memory one part of the key was about £70, the other was about a ton and then it had to go in to the stealer to programme it and that was about another £70. I seem to recall there was a cheaper option if you didn’t have a full remote.

wwaswas

*reported*

teenrat

wwaswas – why?

matt_outandabout

Hum. I need a new key for my car as one has stopped working.

Battery?

bigdaddy

Agree with Matt, sounds like the battery – even ford charge me £11 for new batteries, any way to rip you off…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Open the key and have a look at the battery, you can probably buy one online. After changing batteries you may need to rematch the battery to the car, have a Google. FYI I needed two new batteries for my keys, the dealer just gave me them as I think the official cost was £6 each.

cp

Does anyone bother looking at posting dates?!

teenrat

I know, i dont know why wwaswas dredged it up again

matt_outandabout

Does anyone bother looking at posting dates?!

May I refer you to the lazy thread?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Volvo replacement car keys’ is closed to new replies.