Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Volunteering, giving something back, big society… what do you do?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

im all about the money money money

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did heaps in the 90s – CAB, Samaritans, training adults.

Gone a bit by the wayside with professional life, but I wants to get back into it. Done a bit of pro-bono/training mind.

TooTall
    Free Member

One is about offsetting your guilt (like corporations planting a tree for every tonne of co2 they produce) and the other is about a lifestyle choice.

Just so you know – some people in business are ethical and try to do the right thing. They like their lifestyle to extend to their business practices.

Mounty_73

I volunteer at my local mentoring organisation, mentoring local school kids.

mt
    Free Member

Junkyard As yet we have not taken any of them on though latest one has a good chance if he wants too. We have been used as references when they leave school and applying for jobs/courses. The benefits to them have been really positive, having to work with someone rather than having the teacher/parent(or guardian) us n them situation. They seem to grow in the short time they are here. Best bit has been with us, having to learn how to deal with them. Life it tough for some youngsters today no matter who the goverment is putting a tiny bit into the these kids life is no effort compared to what they have comming up.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Got to be one of the stupidist things I’ve ever read on here.

Really? I’ve read far more stupid things. Maybe you haven’t read enough on here?

Anyway, as an example, last year I received an email encouraging me to get involved in a ‘big society’ litter pick in a park in a nearby town. A little bit of investigation found out that the litter pick was organised by the local conservative party. A little bit more investigation found out that they get funded by central office for promoting big society exmplar events.
    So I now when I see the term ‘Big Society’ connected with an event, I know there’s a large chance the event is being used as a Tory policy event, and they can **** right off. That goes for any other political party too trying similar scams.
    Of course all this is a moot point, as there was no way I was going to spend the morning picking litter from a dog shit infested field that I’ve never visited in a town that I try an avoid.

speshspenner
    Free Member

I cut the grass and maintain the play equiptment at our village park, takes 2-3hrs a week. It gets me out and about….i have a good natter over the park wall to everyone who walks past and i take real pride in seeing the park in use and tidy, gives me a nice warm feeling inside knowing iv’e ‘done my bit‘ for the community.

Mrs Spesh Spenner also runs the local playgroup and fundraises for the school inbetween work and looking after the kids and me!.

Mugboo

I volunteer for these. Started off just digging, now help out with the running as well.

Very satisfying.

http://www.singletraction.co.uk/index.php

druidh
    Free Member

I spend a few years as a Volunteer Ranger in the local hills. It was a way of “giving something back”, forcing me out of my comfort zone (I’m not a social person) and also getting me back into hill-walking and such when I’d been out of it. Latterly, I’ve struggled with finding the same amount of free time but recent lifestyle changes have given me the opportunity again.

I did spend some time two years ago looking at various other options but, if I’m being honest, I was singularly unimpressed by the calibre of the folk I was having to deal with. Seemed to me that most of them didn’t know their arse from their elbow and I doubt I could have worked with them in any capacity.

gazc
    Free Member

a few of my friends/family all help out volunteering in various organisations (and have done so for years) so hopefully may give the OP some ideas. my girlfriend volunteers at the local neighbourhood park – organising events, clearing litter, raising funds for new/better signage, paths, fences etc. i’ve helped out too but struggle to do it regularly with work/other commitments. she also volunteers every now and again at a local volunteer run independent cinema/venue, as well as on ad-hoc voluntary days run by the council. i’m aiming to help out at my local bike charity a bit more but it’s proving more difficult than initially thought (it’s only open when i’m at work and there’s a waiting list!)

my nan helps out at her local community garden, she’s been given her own little plot now so she can grow her own veg to eat/trade with other folk there

my mum used to volunteer with a counselling charity, helping recently bereaved people through very traumatic times. pretty hard that one, she’s recently stopped doing it due to her work moving to evenings

one of my friends is a mentor for a local lad who’s previously got into trouble and is now back on the straight and narrow. not met him but heard that’s going well

a mate at work volunteers at the local community farm alternative weekends

Junkyard
    Free Member

Life it tough for some youngsters today no matter who the goverment is putting a tiny bit into the these kids life is no effort compared to what they have comming up.

yes it is an interesting issue as to how to best serve folk [ mainly lads] like this. Without some help they have a very low chance of success in future life.
    PP I note you did not want to use any facts to defend your view.

Someone does or says something you don’t like, so for no other reason than that, you are ‘much less inclined to do it now’.
    Seems childish to me.

Yes I should be mature and when someone does or says something I disagree with I should go and do it more often.

LHS
    Free Member

Do explain why ?
    I assume you recall how succesful the big society campaign was ? Cancelled due to people attacking them for cuts etc
    Whist i agree that volunteering is a good thing politicising will not/has not made more people volunteer.
    If you wish to call it stupid why not explain why you think it will be succesful? Even dave seesm to have given up but I am sure between the two of you “apoliticals” you can put forward a great case against my stupidity. The success of Big Society would be a good place to start your argument

I will keep this very simple for you:

You are stating that you are less inclined to do something that you agree with just because a political party seem to be forcing it down your throat.

I peronally couldn’t give two hoots about the big society endeavour and in fact have not referenced it in my post, just simply the fact that because Dave says its a good idea to do something, you’ve now changed your moral compass in the opposite direction out of what? Spite? Issue with authority?

If the government told you that you need to ride your bike more and local council got incentives to get you on your bike, would you stick a single digit in the air and say screw you Dave, i’m giving up cycling?

IanMunro
    Free Member

If the government told you that you need to ride your bike more and local council got incentives to get you on your bike, would you stick a single digit in the air and say screw you Dave, i’m giving up cycling?

Or to provide a correct analogy to my point.
    Would I turn up to a cycle event organised by the local conservative party called the ‘Big Ride’ ?
    No.

LHS
    Free Member

Or to provide a correct alternative analogy to my point

Fixed it for you.

You are too focussed on government initiatives, remove them from the picture. Volunteering goes a lot further than a government agenda.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay… to get this away from the political debate…

The key part of the Big Society ideology that is being missed in this debate was getting us all to take responsibility for providing local services so that the Government didn’t have to. Placing responisbility for the failure of Society on ‘us’ rather than the Govt. That is utter shite IMO.

I can understand not wishing to volunteer as a way of opposing cuts to public service funding, if ideologically you believe in a larger State. It’s black and white, I see no point in debating it.

So let’s talk about the Voluntary work that we do, or would like to do, eh?

nickf
    Free Member

I’d go so far as to say that anything – anything at all – that in any way worked to the benefit of this government is something I’d avoid. I simply detest Cameron and his cronies, and so if a scheme is labelled Big Society I’ll be running as hard as I can to get away from it.

The key part of the Big Society ideology that is being missed in this debate was getting us all to take responsibility for providing local services so that the Government didn’t have to. Placing responisbility for the failure of Society on ‘us’ rather than the Govt. That is utter shite IMO.

Actually, it’s not. I have no problem with individuals providing some local services, and relying on the government a little less. But the current Tory view seems to be increasing taxation whilst reducing services, which really is utter shite.

grum
    Free Member

Anyway, as an example, last year I received an email encouraging me to get involved in a ‘big society’ litter pick in a park in a nearby town. A little bit of investigation found out that the litter pick was organised by the local conservative party. A little bit more investigation found out that they get funded by central office for promoting big society exmplar events.
    So I now when I see the term ‘Big Society’ connected with an event, I know there’s a large chance the event is being used as a Tory policy event, and they can **** right off. That goes for any other political party too trying similar scams.

This.

PP – your project sounds great and good on you for doing it, but can’t you see how people don’t want to feel manipulated for political gain by a party they fundamentally disagree with?

I’ve done a lot of volunteering in my time, but I don’t like to talk about it of course. 😉

Don’t do so much at the moment as I can only work limited hours due to health issues.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I’m the local Snow Warden.

soobalias
    Free Member

i just wanna make the world dance

forget about the price tag

IanMunro
    Free Member

Or to provide a correct alternative analogy to my point

Fixed it for you.
    No, not really. You were providing a straw man.

You are too focussed on government initiatives, remove them from the picture. Volunteering goes a lot further than a government agenda.

No, you are too focussed on making assumptions about other peoples thought processes. I’m not interested in supporting a political scam. I’m quite happy to carry on doing the very small amount of volunteering, none of which isn’t being jumped on a re-branded by the government.

Junkyard
    Free Member

to get this away from the political debate

no now you know who we feel with your constant me me me on other threads 😉
    last post in deference to OP

I will keep this very simple for you:

Do you often find that patronising people helps them see the validity of your view ?

You are stating that you are less inclined to do something that you agree with just because a political party seem to be forcing it down your throat.

Yes

I peronally couldn’t give two hoots about the big society endeavour and in fact have not referenced it in my post, just simply the fact that because Dave says its a good idea to do something, you’ve now changed your moral compass in the opposite direction out of what? Spite? Issue with authority?

Who said I had changed my view/compass? I have changed my likelyhood to act. Before big society I did not like the idea of volunteering being politicised and use to fuel an agenda of small government. I still do not.

No, nor have I stopped going to the Doctor either and I suspect he thinks that is a good idea.
    Crap example tbh.
    Volunteering is a good thing, people giving to their communities is a good thing. State sponsored volunteering designed to offset the effects on cuts by a politically motivated govt is not a good thing. Given the failure of big society and the cancelling of the meetings it would seem my stupid anti authority view is quite prevalent.

LHS
    Free Member

No, you are too focussed on making assumptions about other peoples thought processes.

Calm down.

I said that I made no mention or have any interest whatsoever in political manipulation of what you should or shouldn’t do regarding volunteering. You should be able to make your own mind up about that.

Very simply if you want to volunteer then do so, don’t let the governments policies sway your compass.

Junkyard, why are you so angry?

I made no reference to the big society and don’t need to. Thats why I tried to simplify it down for you, something you’ve obviously missed.

Lets just move on, your missing the point entirely.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As an aside to Junky… 😐

Just because I struggle with keeping to the topic of the thread, doesn’t mean I’m talking about me…

grum
    Free Member

Calm down….

I made no reference to the big society and don’t need to. Thats why I tried to simplify it down for you, something you’ve obviously missed.

Sounds pretty calm to me – but being a patronising arse generally doesn’t help. Just ignoring all his points of view and telling him he’s wrong isn’t very helpful either.

Some people see first hand the damage being done to the vulnerable in society by this government, and yes it makes people angry. Not caring about that isn’t something you should feel smug and superior about.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I am an advisory board member (volunteer) for a social enterprise in Brazil who are working on fair trade, ethical business and sustainability-related projects.

There are thousands and thousands of projects out in the world that need volunteers, I am sure that you will find something that matches your own interests and time available.

cinnamon_girl

I’m currently spending a lot of time at a large hospital. A volunteer from the hospital radio service introduced himself and told us about how the service works.

There is naturally a hospital shop run by volunteers.

I suspect these volunteers have been volunteering for many years so fail to see how they could be influenced by whoever is in Government.

Just public-spirited people giving something back to Society.

Get down from your soap boxes people please. 🙄

instanthit
    Free Member

let’s face it Cameron’s “big society” is a cop out for the government and is just a way to try and get the gaps filled for all the cuts they have made. So finger up to that.
    However i firmly believe that you should put something back if you can, “what you give out you get back”. So if you have something you can do for someone else great, makes the world a better place.
    I have done various bits in the past;from offering my time to help adults learn to read to supporting people when they are struggling with their health.
    Forget the govts. crap and do something nice for someone else.

LHS
    Free Member

but being a patronising arse generally doesn’t help. Just ignoring all his points of view and telling him he’s wrong isn’t very helpful either.

May be you should all start a thread titled

“Why the governments big society scheme is a bunch of arse” because we seem to be talking about 2 separate things.

grum
    Free Member

Well the term ‘big society’ is in the thread title. I don’t see why it’s hard to understand why people would feel uncomfortable about the volunteering they’ve been doing for years now being spun as part of a cynical Tory smoke and mirrors policy.

I don’t think that should put anyone off really, but it’s easy to see why they would be. I would certainly steer clear of anything labelled ‘big society’

Forget the govts. crap and do something nice for someone else.

Agreed.

tim41
    Free Member

I take a weeks holiday from my paid employment every summer to work for
    RIAT
    the main fundraising event for the RAF Charitable Trust.
    I work on the trading team, selling all the airshow merchandising. Usually 5 days build up, 2 days trading and 1 day packing up. Volunteers get looked after very well, but you are expected to put the hours in! An annual highlight for me, I absolutely love doing it 🙂

BigJohn

I’m very sorry but the Big Society thing is all my fault. I gave Callmedave the idea. Well, I’m pretty sure I did.

I live on a main road, and there are some grass verges on the pavement outside my house. I like to keep it all looking nice, so when we come to sell, people will think “That’s the house we always think looks nice”. The council make a right mess of trimming the verges and the hedges so I do them myself.

Way back in 1997, Cameron was standing for the Tories in Stafford, where I live. He got beat by a local Labour guy, but I’m pretty sure he must have been going past one day, seen me mowing the verge and thought “that’s a good idea – if ever I’m in power I’ll call it the “Big John Society”. Obviously over the years he forgot the John bit, but never mind, I still know he named it after me.

True.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard, why are you so angry?

Lets just move on, your missing the point entirely.

I am not angry and why do you think that by constantly patronising me* [and others] that we are going to be convinced by your argument? I mean just how stupid are you?

May be you should all start a thread titled

“Why the governments big society scheme is a bunch of arse” because we seem to be talking about 2 separate things.

Perhaps you could just read this thread title and see why it may be relevant to mention Big Society in a thread about volunteering and big society.. or am I just being stuid again?
    * I am impressed by your patronise per line quota though. Sadly when removed there is nothing left though 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*hangs head*

I’ll volunteer myself as the culprit for the misunderstanding. Unwittingly it seems my thread title was a bit of a troll.

LHS
    Free Member

* I am impressed by your patronise per line quota though. Sadly when removed there is nothing left though

Until you just beat it! – people in glass houses! Nice try though.

Unwittingly it seems my thread title was a bit of a troll.

Not really, just a few looking for a fight. Must be the warm weather.

chewkw
    Free Member

To OP.

I volunteer to stop myself being greedy.

🙂

somouk
    Free Member

I do quite a lot of ‘Volunteering’ on the basis that I am part of the ATC or air cadets as most will know it.

I run a local unit which is in quite a deprived area so good things for the kids to do are few and far between.

12 hours a week minimum normally with most weekend during the summer being taken up in one form or another.

Have met some people in the organisation that I will be in touch with forever, apart from maybe being out on the bike I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

chewkw – I volunteer to stamp on you maggots.

TooTall
    Free Member

I am part of the ATC or air cadets as most will know it

Paramilitary youth organisations shouldn’t be allowed! 😡

(I was in the Scouts)

Philby

I have been Chair of the board of trustees in a large urban Citizens Advice Bureau for the last 9 years. I also provide training on a monthly basis to groups of young people looking to set up in business as part of the Prince’s Trust Business Development programme.

Prior to volunteering with the CAB I was trustee and chair of a organisation providing accommodation, support and training for young people at risk of homelessness for 4 years. And in the past I have done volunteering work for both Oxfam and Greenpeace.

I have done all of this before the concept of “Big Society” was even invented, and the current debates about Big Society are in my view a huge distraction from the work that myself and many others on here do voluntarily and often with little thanks.

Citizens Advice Bureaux for example have existed for decades providing a valuable and independent service, largely delivered by trained volunteer advisers, to anyone with a problem relating to welfare benefits, debt and money advice, employment, immigration, family and consumer issues. How many threads on here suggest visiting you local CAB as a solution.

If anything “Big Society” is detracting from the work that thousands of volunteer led organisations have been successfully doing for years.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

White-slave chav children.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Volunteering, giving something back, big society… what do you do?’ is closed to new replies.