Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Volatile chilli sauce
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

I have made about a litre of chilli sauce and bottled it in a glass bottle with one of them Grolsch bottle type tops.
    The sauce is made up of scotch bonnet chillis, garlic, onion, tomato puree, pinch of smoked paprika, a slug of olive oil and a pinch of salt and a drop of white wine vinegar, basically all the above in a hot pan to boiling, cool and blend then bottle.

The sauce is superb……….however it has a tendency to gas up in the bottle, this has resulted in a decent sized dollop ending up on the kitchen ceiling and in my hair, anyone out there any knowledge or experience as to what may be causing this ?

scaredypants

fermenting, presumably

z1ppy

😀 wanna expand on the specifics of your recipe? ( or is that it for all intents & purpose)

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve made similar sauces, but stored them in standard plastic sauce bottles. No such issues.

cdoc
    Free Member

Hmm, had this happen once with a chilli sauce. Turned out to be fermentation due to too low an acidity and/or salinity, I was told by a chef friend.

MoreCashThanDash

I suspect that if you post the recipe, the anti terrorist unit will be knocking on your door….

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, sounds like something’s living in there…

shermer75
    Free Member

Things that might stop that happening are:
    More vinegar
    Lots of sugar
    Cooling it faster after the boiling

shermer75
    Free Member

The sugar option will make it into a very different beast of course, more like a Thai style chilli sauce…

CountZero

Mmmmm, sounds yummy!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I made something similar but with a lot of vinegar. It’s a tabasco-type sauce.

Surely, the bubbling means it’s ‘working’ (fermenting) and won’t do your stomach any good.

I keep mine in a water bottle in the fridge.

Things that can naturally stop food going off are;

acid / alkaline (pickling)

sugar (jams)

salt (cod, ham etc)

keeping the air out with oil or in a sealed tin (olives)

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s some tablets you can get for home brewing to stop fermentation. I had some chilli sauce I mixed with mango puree to take the edge off and needed to use one of these

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you boil it thoroughly and sterlilize the bottles there shouldn’t be anything to ferment. If it were me I’d be getting it on a full rolling boil for a few minutes, then fill the bottles with boiling water and stick them in a big pan of boiling water, drain them carefully and fill with the boiling chilli sauce. Works for my beer and Chutney (although the beer is full of yeast, the barrels/bottles need to be sterlile of anything else that might grow in there).

But yea, more vinegar too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Volatile chilli sauce’ is closed to new replies.