Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • VoIP Forum
    Free Member

Morning! 😉

Just a quick one really, i’ve googled for some VoIP forums as I need some thoughts on a proposed idea i’ve got, and there appear to be plenty of forums, and I wondered whether anyone here had any suggestions as to which may be a better one?

cheers,
    Jonathan

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You could try Tek-tips or a vendor specific forum – you’ll probably get better answers from a vendor specific one

Free Member

Cheesyfeet 😉 cheers, have posted on the asterisk forum as I sort of summed this would probably be the best option.

cheers 😉

Jonathan

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I’ve been running Asterisk for about 4 years now, 20+ users. Some based in the office some based at home and one (chairman) based in France. I even use it to link offices together for “Free” inter office calls.

I switched over to Trixbox a couple of years ago just to simplify the setup process, FreePBX is great.

The handsets can make a big difference to the call quality, but i’m using the Grandstream GXP2000 (£60) and they’ve been fine.

Also they work far better with ISDN than with POTS.

If you’ve got a specific question, i’ll try and answer.

Free Member

Hi rossendalelemming,

I’d like to be able to answer a call on a desk phone, then, get in the car and (automatically/seamlessly) transfer to the call to my mobile.

The idea came through my understanding that asterisk has the facility to connect a bluetooth dongle, connecting to your mobile, so when the user/me walk away from the desk, we can somehow get the call to transfer across to the mobile with little involvement from either person on the phone.

why? errr.. because it would be pretty cool and, err, thats about it 😉

jt 😉

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

you can set up a “follow me”, so if you don’t answer your desk phone after x number of rings it will dial your mobile or any other phone you’d like.

This solution uses up two of your phone lines, one for the incoming call and one for the outgoing call to your mobile. We use this for certain extensions within the business and it works well.

edit – you could transfer the call to your mobile and then get in the car.

Russell96

Google “Fixed Mobile Convergence” and have a look at all the different ways people are going about it.

One big challenge is that for example you receive an internal call on your desk phone so there are no call charges involved, you then walk away from your desk so you want to continue the call on your mobile, in effect you are doing a call forward onto your mobile phone which means your softswitch/PBX is generating an outgoing call to a mobile number and generating outgoing call charges to a mobile.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

i re read what you’d posted and you are after the holy grail (we seem to have a religous theme today). BT were developing the “blue phone” i think it was called. It was to supposed to be an all in one phone that would be your home phone that would allow you to walk out of the house and automatically switch over to a mobile network or wifi network to continue with your call.

Russell96

Oh it can work I’ve seen it demonstrated, most elegant way it to use normal GSM phones that register to the network via a pico/femto cell deployed in your home/office so they utilise your broadband connection/WAN for VoIP, then use GSM roaming when you are out of range of your cell so you get seamless handover.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘VoIP Forum’ is closed to new replies.