Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vivid air R2C on a DH bike?
  • jackal
    Free Member

Anybody running (or ridden) a DH bike with an R2C air shock on their downhill bike?
    I’ve got the chance to fit one and was wondering if they’re now comparable to a coil shock? Do they still suffer reliability problems?
    Bike will be used for usual UK dh stuff and the odd trip to the Alps..
    The weight saving and tunability would be nice but I don’t want it to deteriorate mid run.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my Liteville 601 (not a DH bike but 190mm travel) and it’s very good. I have tried the Vivid coil which was a little smoother, especially on the initial starting stroke, but for the saving in weight I was happy to go back to the air.
    Went to Whistler last year and took both shocks. Started on the coil but put the air on for the last few days and it was faultless.
    By far the best air shock I’ve used.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers stevied, how long have you been running it for?

stevied
    Free Member

About 18 months now.
    1st one had a little knock at the top of the stroke after about 6 months so sent it back and got a brand new one in return.
    No problems at all since.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mate runs one on his Status and likes it; the body gets properly warm after a run at Stiniog though.

Personally I’m in the camp that you can’t beat coil suspension, especially on a big bike.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Plus the newer coil dampers are coming down in weight, so when you combine them with a ti spring the weight savings going to air is never more than 200g.

Who cares about 200g, unless your bike has a poor (read linear) leverage ratio – go with the coil – it won’t leak air, it will track a bit better and it will have more midstroke support.

chakaping
    Free Member

Been riding one for a few months on 170mm enduro bike.

Feels pretty coil-like and no problems with it yet. Done some long, rough descents in the Lakes and it’s not played up at all.

Getting a bit long in the tooth as a model now though, I’d only buy one aftermarket if it was cheap.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vivid air R2C on a DH bike?’ is closed to new replies.