Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • vive la revolution – retired footballer style
  • iDave
    Free Member

fantastic, gotta love Eric

I think I’ll remove my money the day before the revolution though…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uop5R7E314&feature=related[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s a rubbish idea imo, they would simply close the bank doors before all the money was gone.

An indefinite general strike is much more effective.

iDave
    Free Member

Close the doors? It’s years since I’ve been inside a bank to withdraw money…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I couldn’t empty my account via a cash machine.

Plus there there isn’t enough money in all the cash machines.

Plus they would just “switch off” the cash machines.

There is no way the gov or the banks themselves, would allow a run on the banks

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but if everyone went in and demanded their money, the banks couldn’t legally refuse.

And if they lock the doors, just wait outside. They’ll need food and water eventually. Just cut the leccy and water supply.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“couldn’t legally refuse”

The government would intervene and force the banks to shut and/or restrict how much each person could withdraw in any one day. That’s what happened in Argentina in 2002 when there was a run on the banks.

I’m afraid it’s gotta be Revolution old fashion style.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The government would intervene and force the banks to shut and/or restrict how much each person could withdraw in any one day

And you seriously think they could do that without massive civil unrest? People might not get out of bed for Human Rights issues, but try to stop them from buying their unnecessary toot, and they’ll tear your eyes out.

Won’t happen anyway; people are too lazy and apathetic. As Long as they’ve got their toot, they’re content.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you seriously think they could do that without massive civil unrest?

Yep. They did in Argentina no problem – obviously people weren’t very happy because they were desperate for money to buy food etc., and they were only allowed a small amount, often after waiting several days.

Do you think the British would act differently ?

Besides, the argument behind this strategy is that people can’t/won’t stage an uprising.

And also it’s worth mentioning that many people would end up bitterly regretting to agreeing to the strategy. Because of course banks don’t hold everybody’s money in vaults/safes, they lend most of it out – that’s how they make their profits. So only the first people to arrive at the banks (and iDave who got there a day early) would get their money, everyone else would be left penniless.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do you think the British would act differently ?

Actually they’d probbly just grumble a bit and blame the Darkies or Asylum Seekers or Benefit Scroungers or something. S’what they usually do…

aP
    Free Member

Didn’t they effectively close the banks when the run on Bradford & Bingley happened in 2007(?)
    Seeing as there’s effectively only 4 banks in the UK now as soon as anything started they’d shut down everything – would be interesting to see how it’d be possible to control civil unrest though as we don’t have a large conscripted arms and the Riot Act can’t be used – cavalry charges on civilians in British cities anyone?

Hairychested
    Free Member

cavalry charges on civilians in British cities anyone?

They’d be queuing for their money.

muddy@rseguy

Ah yes, have a run on the banks. Didnt this happen just before the Great Depression?

donsimon
    Free Member

you seriously think they could do that without massive civil unrest?

Yep. They did in Argentina no problem – obviously people weren’t very happy because they were desperate for money to buy food etc., and they were only allowed a small amount, often after waiting several days.

The Argentinians didn’t take it lying down, those who could, took their money and fled. Those who couldn’t were seen smashing the banks up, I remember pictures of 4x4s being used to ram them.
    I don’t think the country has fully recovered yet either!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Cantona is awesome! He has an awesome beard too!

druidh
    Free Member

Since most people in this country seem to owe more money than they have.in the bank, it would be more appropriate for the banks to come round the doors asking for some of it to be paid back.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Argentinians didn’t take it lying down, those who could, took their money and fled. Those who couldn’t were seen smashing the banks up, I remember pictures of 4x4s being used to ram them.
    I don’t think the country has fully recovered yet either!

I beg to differ. I was in Argentina at the time and clearly remember the long orderly queues outside the banks as people tried to get some of their rationed money. Sure, due to the economic chaos there were demonstrations, road blocks, etc French style, but it was all easily contained. The army certainly didn’t shoot anyone. And remember, breaking into banks would solve nothing, as all the money to pay a good 90% of customers simply isn’t there.

“I don’t think the country has fully recovered yet either! “[/b]

It is this almost total news blackout of Latin America which makes the neo-liberals so incredibly successful with their utterly false claims of TINA (there is no alternative)

Argentina has more than recovered, since 2002 it has been one of the best preforming economies in the world with an annual growth rate of about 7%. This year it is expected to grow by 8.5% …….. compare that with us.

How did they manage to do that ? Well quite simply, by doing the complete reverse of what the neo-liberals claimed was necessary, ie, they said no to austerity and no the IMF, and they had massive government spending programmes.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Difference is though Onion; things like mortgages/loans are over an agreed period, whereas money in bank accounts must be made accessible at the request of the customer.

I had a to-do in Abbey National once; the stroppy bloke behind the counter wouldn’t let me sort out something simple, can’t remember what it was. So I asked to close my account and withdraw my money. He refused. I said I wasn’t going until they gave me MY money. Police were called. Police told them to give me my money. They gave me my money.

Banks can’t just do what they want. Well, too often they do, but they shouldn’t be able to.

druidh
    Free Member

Tee hee. Bank tellers around the country will have stories of that “special” customer who comes in occasionally to see their money – as if it’s all held in some sort of discrete box.

donsimon
    Free Member

I beg to differ. I was in Argentina at the time and clearly remember the long orderly queues outside the banks as people tried to get some of their rationed money. Sure, due to the economic chaos there were demonstrations, road blocks, etc French style, but it was all easily contained. The army certainly didn’t shoot anyone. And remember, breaking into banks would solve nothing, as all the money to pay a good 90% of customers simply isn’t there.

I’m clearly wrong then, the pictures I saw of people attacking banks and businesses clearly didn’t happen.

Argentina has more than recovered, since 2002 it has been one of the best preforming economies in the world with an annual growth rate of about 7%. This year it is expected to grow by 8.5% …….. compare that with us.

So the %growth YoY is impressive, but by how much did the economy shrink in the first place? If the economy shrank by, say, 50%, then 8% growth YoY still wouldn’t put the economy at size it was, in real terms, before the crisis. But, of course, you knew that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I saw of people attacking banks and businesses

Yes, as I said, there was some unrest. Nothing that couldn’t be contained. The headquarters of the ruling party was attacked by an angry mob here in the UK recently. We have not had a revolution.

So the %growth YoY is impressive, but by how much did the economy shrink in the first place?

Yes the Argentine economy has grown for many years now under social-democratic economic policies, after many crippling previous years of neo-liberalism. What’s your point ?

Mine was, that it is completely false to claim ‘the country hasn’t fully recovered’. It has fully recovered from the banking crises of 2002.

donsimon
    Free Member

Mine was, that it is completely false to claim ‘the country hasn’t fully recovered’. It has fully recovered from the banking crises of 2002.

My point is that your statement may not be true based on % growth figures.
    If you start off at 100kg and lose 50kg, even with an average of 8% growth per year you’ll still only weigh, after 8 years 92.54kg, a little less than the original 100kg you started with. That doesn’t take into account that global economies are generally growing year on year. So, in spite of growth, the economy may not be at prvious levels. Comprende?

Pretty much what Spain is learning/about to learn. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Comprende?

No I don’t. Argentina has fully recovered from the crises of 2002. Despite your comment “I don’t think the country has fully recovered yet either” it has paid off all it’s debts, slashed poverty, unemployment, etc to levels well below those of 2002.

Of course Argentina is nowhere near where it was in 1920 when it was the 7th richest country in the world, but it has reversed many decades of the failed neo-liberal experiment, and it has certainly fully recovered from crises of 2002.

And btw, Argentina’s GDP growth of 8.8% in 2003, 9.0% in 2004, 9.2% in 2005, 8.5% in 2006 and 8.7% in 2007, more than makes up the negative growth of the 1999-2002 recession.

Olly
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Comprende?

No I don’t.

That’s evident. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yup, I haven’t a clue what you’re rabbiting on about

…….although I suspect you haven’t either 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

…..although I suspect you haven’t either

Ya think so? 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

convinced 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

You like getting the last word in, don’t you?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Absolutely………….you best give up 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You are ton and I claim my fiver !

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘vive la revolution – retired footballer style’ is closed to new replies.