Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Vitus Zenium Sl !! Bloody Lovely
  • plus-one

I’ve been dithering over either a Bowman Palace or Kinesis Aethin for a while now .. I was having another trawl round the Internet and found this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-zenium-sl-pro-road-frameset-2015/rp-prod125555

Not as fancy/loud as the other 2(which I like) and very similar weight I figured worth a punt .. It turned up yesterday and I’m stunned by quality/finish 😯

I’m throwing bling at it for 15lb ish build 😀

Vitus Zenium sl

chakaping
    Free Member

*likes*

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thats a very similar colour scheme to my Giant TCR SL 1 and a very good price if the ride is anything like the current crop of light weight quality alloy frames.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the ACTUAL weight?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite like that. Couple of quick questions. Can’t see the geo on the CRC site, do they print it anywhere? (found it on the vitus website.) Does it have mounts for guards?

stevio

Got a good write up in Cycling Active a few months ago; full ultegra and a decent looking frame…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Buys cheap heavy mail order own brand frame and fork. Fits expensive bits to get down to a decent weight.

Just to offer a bit of balance from the love-in, like.

fasthaggis

That Vitus needs polished up a bit 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Buys cheap heavy mail order own brand frame and fork.

Eh? Did you look at the link?

It’s not cheap or heavy for alu.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It is fairly cheap. It’s not especially light.

Does it have mounts for guards?

plus-one

1180g 54 on my luggage scales .. Not too shabby and the finish really is lush .. I might buy another as a spare 😀

Just to cable/tape mine up I’ll add photo sometime Saturday after shake down ride ..

No guard mounts it’s a speed rig 😉

My early weigh in suggests just over 15lbs with pedals/cages/garmin mount 8)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice enough, let me know how it rides. Guess I could stick some PDW fenders on there.

chakaping
    Free Member

It is fairly cheap. It’s not especially light.

It’s reasonably priced. Cheap would be £150. Fairly cheap would be £250.

The claimed frame weight is lighter than either the Bowman Palace or Kinesis Aethin mentioned in the OP – and which both often get trotted out as lightweight alu frames on here and other internet talking shops.

Not as trendy as those of course.

😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It is cheap compared to Kinesis, Bowman, CAAD, Emonda AL frames and with a comparable weight. Not quite the kudos though.

Its a competitive weight to all those as well.

So long as it rides ok….

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And why is the first question people ask about an aluminium frame is

Does it have mounts for guards?

🙄

I don’t want mudguard mounts anywhere near my alloy frame race bikes, thanks 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Eh? Did you look at the link?

I get the OP was shopping for alloy but my point was that a ~1200gram frame and a 450grm fork is not the basis of a light build, so highlighting he’s achieved 15lb (6.8kg, so better than many light full-carbon builds) must be relying on some expensive lightweight kit (or typical STW scales…..) and isn’t a testament to the frame.

Not a fan of the Bowman but I do think the CAAD12 in that lemony colour is a thing of beauty.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I like that. Any moar pics?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Have you noticed how they don’t generally publish the weights of cheap carbon frames?? I think I saw somewhere that the cheapest Madone carbon frame weighs ~1300g.

My Giant TCR SL is about 16.5lb with a similar frame weight as the starting point, Ultegra and a 1500g wheelset. Could have saved half a pound easily with a SRAM Force or Red groupset and a lighter saddle than the Madison one currently on there.

And weighing it with out the pedals like all good manufacturers do 😉

Light weight builds are about attention to detail, not necessarily super fancy kit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

And why is the first question people ask about an aluminium frame is

Nothing to do with the frame material. More the price, the geometry and that I’m sort of looking for a new training bike.

Love a nice racey alu frame (and have started a few threads on that very topic.)

plus-one

Yes it has some very light parts on 🙂

Vitus Zenium sl

Final weigh in morn with cables/cages/chain fitted etc .. 15lbs would be great but most likely pushing 15.5

Proper pics morn

TiRed

“Hello, this is Giant calling, we want our 2007 TCR back please.”

Lovely frame. Gave it to a junior in the club when I went to the Propel.

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these for some time. How do they size up? What size did you go for?

plus-one

I’m on 54(53) actual top tube 54 effective

Maiden ride this morning rides similar to my tcr which is a compliment but stiffer at front and more stable .. Tapered head tube and 5mm longer back end over giant .. Giant climbed well with tight back end but could get bit skittery at high speed .. This rides very well I’d say neutral .. No nasty surprises just confidence in corners and does what you want 😀

Build as pictured 15.6lbs which is quite impressive .. I have standard shimano skewers(couldn’t stand creaking from Ti ones) and normal inner tubes and chunky bar tape ..

Sans pedals(as companies weigh) it’s comfortably under 15lbs

Light inner tubes/nokon cables/Ti skewers and some Ti bolts would get it close to 15lbs but it’s really nice planted ride as is 8)

Some pics fully built

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmTBqLh

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thats nice!

rob2
    Free Member

How tall are you mr plus one? I’m 5,7 and think I might be too small for the 54

chakaping
    Free Member

*still likes*

plus-one

I’m 5’11 and all legs .. No 52’s left ?

fenred
    Free Member

Nice build OP! 8)

Looks like the size guide on the Vitus website could be a little out Im 6′ and usually ride 56 road bikes and they advise a 58!?
    😕
    CRC are claiming it comes with headset and seat clamp, can you confirm please?

plus-one

Cheers

Yes seat clamp and nice quality token headset .. Top cap and bolt were awol though ? Have spares so not a deal breaker 😀

fenred
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers. Tempted! 😀

rob2
    Free Member

I succumbed and got one. Missed the extra £10 off which has just come on these making them £339. As above finish is really good. Pretty light too.

As above mine didn’t come with a top cap or star nut (or expander). You do get frame protection patches though.

Seat post is ever so slightly bigger than 27.2mm I think – or my post is ever so slightly small.

90 percent built so far swapping parts from a defy 0.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Damn you, I’m now looking in my garage and thinking “well I do have a spare set of wheels”.

I get the OP was shopping for alloy but my point was that a ~1200gram frame and a 450grm fork is not the basis of a light build, so highlighting he’s achieved 15lb (6.8kg, so better than many light full-carbon builds) must be relying on some expensive lightweight kit (or typical STW scales…..) and isn’t a testament to the frame.

Depends how light you want to go. 15lb isn’t that light, and presuming by “full carbon” you’re referring to frames, <1200g isn’t bad by carbon standards (not good, but it’d not be the worst amongst <£2k bikes). Even my bike is only 16lb and that cost significantly under a grand to build, and it still has an aluminium steerer tube.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I was thinking how on earth did you get that to weigh 15.5lbs….then I saw the build, very nice!

woodster

That looks awesome. really nice looking frame.

I love my 7.5kg alu roadie so I’d happily stick with the unfashionable material if I ever fancy an upgrade.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Vitus Zenium Sl !! Bloody Lovely’ is closed to new replies.