Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • VITUS Sommet 2018. Anyone ridden?
  • dskelly81
    Free Member

Just ordered one of these & wondered if anyone has one or has tried one. The numbers look great on paper but how do they ride?

spokey
    Free Member

Hi dskelly 81. How are you getting on with your sommet? I’m thinking of ordering one but would feel more confident from seeing a review of two, but there aren’t any yet.
    I’m also a little concerned about CRC and dealing with them in the event of a problem. Looks like the geo is better this year than 2017.

dskelly81
    Free Member

Only had a couple rides so far but really starting to find flow on it. Weighed it including DMR vaults at 13.9kgs with aftermarket stem & carbon bar so well under 14.2 kgs book weight.
    Paint unsurprisingly (notorious weak point) isn’t brill as already wearing right through on left seat stay.
    Loving the 2018 Lyrik. Feels a lot more solid than my old 2015 160mm Pike in the rough stuff.
    Not had any reason to deal with CRC but i suspect it would be easier than chasing up an outfit in germany WRT after sales support.
    It feels very solidly made & ready to get pointed at natural steep trails, steep rock gardens hard & fast which is exactly what i give it. Would be rude not to…right

spokey
    Free Member

Absolutely!
    Does it pedal well going back up? I would naturally plump for the extra travel, but am still wondering whether the Escarpe is a better all rounder?
    did you consider this one at all?

riklegge

spokey, I had an escarpe and changed it for a Sommet. To be honest, I didn’t find any disadvantages on the flatter or uphill trails, but there was a bit more travel to get you out of trouble in rougher ground.
    Having said that, the escarpe was very composed and confidence inspiring for a shorter travel bike.

spokey
    Free Member

That’s interesting and reassuring to hear that you changed from escarpe to sommet. Well, after deliberating, I have ordered a sommet. I got 10% off with the British cycling membership, and a further 2% going through top cash back. I need to sell my spesh pitch now!

dskelly81
    Free Member

TBH it pedals back up okay. However i wouldn’t fancy it without a 50t or at least a 46t 1st gear. Previous bike was a full carbon cube stereo so much lighter but the sommet seems quite supportive at the back so able to winch up no bother.

An Escarpe just wouldn’t be enough bike for my local trails. 160mm buke is widely regarded as a minimum u’d want.

Which model did you order?

spokey
    Free Member

I ordered the VR SLX equipped model. Just sold my old bike to part fund it!

what model did you get?

dskelly81
    Free Member

Went for the VRS. Was considering the mid-level Carbon model but it was 300 quid more for no weight saving (according to Vitus website) & a cheaper Yari fork as opposed to the Lyrik.  Otherwise I think componentry was the same.  Besides my old bike was full carbon so I fancied a change.

Feels confidence inspiring but I really need dry trails to properly pin it unleash full potential

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘VITUS Sommet 2018. Anyone ridden?’ is closed to new replies.