Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Vitus Mountain bikes any good? Anyone got one?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

CRC discount Vitus 29ers looking tempting for the money/spec. Anyone actually ridden one? What are they like?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Vitus is now owned by crc so just take any rrp/ discount with care.
    But if the spec is good value compared to other stuff then why not

superstu
    Free Member

Was hoping for more replies myself as I’m quite intrigued too. Certainly on paper look a good option.

Mackem

I acually saw one in the flesh a couple of weeks ago. It was very nice. Looked as good as the big-name bikes. No idea how it rode though.

sync
    Free Member

Didn’t Brant have design input on these?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Lad I work with has one of their full sussers. It’s “ok” IMHO, personally I would look to the Ford brand (Giant) 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a 2013 Vitus Vee 29er. It was fun. The price has been £290-ish since they came out, so they are not discounted at all. Plus, as mentioned, Vitus is owned by CRC. As you will find out if you email Vitus direct, as you will get a response from CRC tech dept.

Anyway, it’s perfectly capable of bridleways, (flat/non-rocky) singletrack and whatnot, some say you need to change the gearing if going off road, but just stand up and stomp if needed. If you are going to use it off road, you may get sore arms, as the hi-tensile is very…well…hi-tensile 8) I found dropping tyre pressure helped a lot to smooth things a little bit.

As a short range commuter / pub bike / popping the shops tool it is fine. Everything is bolted on as well, so hopefully would deter thieves.

I did a couple of 40-50mile rides on it with no probs, though.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah the spec is good but I am wondering about the frame. crc vitus escarpe 29
    The chain stays seem looooong at 460mm compared to other similar bikes?
    Whyte T129=431mm
    Giant Trance x29 =452mm
    Spesh SJ29 = 450mm

core

You reckon you’re going to feel the difference 8-10mm makes?

z1ppy

Yes Core you do, well I can on an adjustable chainstay bike.
    Whether you want a short or long chainstay is a different thing.
    Shorter chainstay = nimbler handling, long chainstay = more stability

WhatMTB reviewed the Escarpe 29er, though these reviews are usually on there website ASAP, this one hasn’t. They said was a good spec for the money (with rrp £1900, though it appeared at a discounted £1700, so at £1200 it’s really good 😀 ), a fast machine that’s not all that nimble but will blast though anything you throw at it.
    A 140mm 29er that will charge though anything you point it at, sounds good if you have the right (lumpy/steep) terrain IMO.

I keep looking at it especially as it’s gotten cheaper, but want something with shorter travel that’s nimbler.. hense the Whyte T-129 is the current object of my desires.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Review of the Vitus Vee-1 29er here
    http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/vitus-vee-1-29/

tomaso
    Free Member

This is the 100/120mm travel Gravir 29er crc gravir and is similarly discounted and looks like good value

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

They look gash, but MBUK seems to like’em… something to do with their favours-for-mates reviewing policy*
    *possibly

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Vitus Mountain bikes any good? Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.