Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Vitoria Open Pave or Panaracer Gravel King?
  • Kryton57

I find myself riding the Tour of Flanders sportive this year, plus the occasional foray down a gritty canal path with jnr so want either of these on my “winter” Defy.

Anyone got experience of either?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do it properly, Kryters!

Of those, however, Panaracer are always excellent value for money. Don’t think they do a skinwall, sadly…..

schmiken

I absolutely love my Paves, but they may be a touch fragile for canal paths. Fantastically grippy and reasonable wear for a decent tyre though.

Kryton57

How much cfh!

kilo

The Mrs has paves on her road bike since Flanders two or three years ago, great road tyres but not sure about canal paths, tbh whilst Mrs kilo used open paves for Flanders I just used whatever was on the bike imho it’s not that technical a surface that you need special tyres

TiRed

My 27 mm Open Paves handled the Tour of Flanders route on my Defy fine. Not so sure about canal paths, but they are great on the cobbles. Mine also completed Paris Roubaix last year on someone else’s bike too.

Teen1 rode the climbs on 23 mm Ultremos, so as above really 😉

aP
    Free Member

Flanders is perfectly possible to ride on 23s, you don’t need gravel tyres. Just make sure they’re relatively new and no cuts.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

As an alternative, I recently put Schwalbe S-One 30c tubeless tyres on my cross bike as winter road / mild/dry-ish trail tyres. They seem like a good option so far.

Kryton57

I may just stick with the 25mm Lithions I have then. I just don’t trust them on towpath gravel!

dknwhy

I’ve got 28mm gravel kings on my cx. Use them mainly on road but have been on the odd patch of gravel. They’ve been alright.

eshershore
    Free Member

Pave are good but unfortunately cut up quickly and top off (wear out) even quicker. however, as a special event / bad conditions racing tire I really enjoyed using them on gravel track, canal paths, cobbles or just UK roads.

the new Corsa G+ (graphene) are seriously impressive. very grippy, roll very fast and have cut resistance and wear resistance way beyond my previous Pave / Corsa / GP4000’s. I heard all their hype about graphene but there is definitely something true about their claims.

I’ve been using a pair for 3 months including 150km per week commuting through London – which is a great way to kill any race tire – and they are showing very little wear, few cuts and I’ve only had 1 rear puncture in 3 months which has been really impressive.

I’ve ridden them on the same terrain as my Pave and they work just fine “off road”

Kryton57

25’s too, handy…

dknwhy

Damn you Kryton57. I posted and then went out to the garage to find a flat on my cx bike with Panaracer tyres. Coincidence? I think not 😆
    You are the puncture fairy and I claim my £5.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Vitoria Open Pave or Panaracer Gravel King?’ is closed to new replies.