• This topic has 38 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by the00.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Vito Dualiner camper build
  • the00
    Free Member

It’s a few weeks late, but I’m pretty happy with progress on my van, so I thought I’d share…

I bought this:

A 2012 Mercedes Vito Dualiner ‘long’.

It wasn’t a feature I was looking for, but it has rear panel windows (that open), which makes it look like a Viano (or a bus, airport transport, private ambulance etc.)

The plan is to add a bed in to the back to make a basic camper. My design is to have a rear bulkhead so that two bikes can be kept in the back even with the bed assembled.

matt_outandabout

What have you done so far?

ads678

Very interested in this as I am also planning on converting one of these.
    I want to put a bed in the back, full width 3 seater, but also put a pop top roof on with a bed in there as well. Not bothered about cooker and other gubbins like that, but maybe put some electrics in for a couple leisure batteries.

the00
    Free Member

Background:
    I had a ’08 Renault Traffic Sport a few years ago, which I spent many hours in converting to a basic camper. Unfortunately it was written off by a bin lorry whilst parked on the side of the road (and unattended).

It’s taken a few years to complete the decision to get another van.

The Traffic was purely recreational vehicle, whereas now our circumstances have changed we couldn’t justify a third vehicle, and so decided to replace our estate car (08 Passat) with a van. Because I need to use it for driving to work, I wanted something smart and comfortable. The obvious choice was a VW Transporter T5 DSG. I would have bought a panel van and done a conversion including a RIB rock and roll bed, but the total cost looked kind of silly.

I was won over by the Vito Dualiner because it was cheaper to purchase, it was fully lined internally (full length headlining, a nice soft finish floor, and plastic panels on the sides), and it came with folding and removable rear seats.

A Transit Custom Tourneo might have had a look in, but being newer they were still more expensive than this Vito.

My Traffic had the well reported injector problems, which put me off trying one again.

The Vito is available in three lengths, and this ‘long’ is in between the SWB and LWB options from VW and Ford. It offers a crucial extra 6″ of load space, but has the wheelbase of the shorter van, and the overall length is about the same as a 5 series or E class) estate car. This is an important consideration as I often have to parallel park on a busy residential street.

It is a bit lower than a T5 or Transit, which might make difference for height restricted car parks.

the00
    Free Member

The rear seat backs recline and fold forward. All three move independently of each other.
    The whole seats also tip forward. The left hand can be done on it’s own, or all three can be tipped forward together.
    The seats are removable, either just the left one, or all three.
    It is not possible to have just the single left hand seat in place on its own, as it mounts to the double.

The rear seats wont find daily use, but they are nice to have on occasion. Having folding rear seats means I don’t need to buy an expensive rock and roll bed.

The plan is to remove the left hand single rear seat, and just have the two rear seats for occasional use. I can then use the vacated space for a storage unit / drawer which will roll forward to form part of the bed. The height of the bed will be determined by the seats when folded forward (not tipped, they are higher like that).

the00
    Free Member

I’m also not bothered about having a built in stove or sink. Bikes and a bed are the important bits. I like eating out 🙂

mick_r

Nice base vehicle!

Out of interest, what does it come registered as on the V5? It should be an M1 / MPV or “dual purpose vehicle” to come under the car speed limits. I heard some talk of Vito Dualiners sometimes coming registered as N1 / Vans and people getting stung by the reduced speed limits. If it is registered as a van, with the current build you could legitimately argue it should be changed to DPV (if unladen mass is under 2040kg which it should be)

I made a steel tube and mesh bulkhead for behind the seats of our Dispatch Combi (powder coated it looks pretty pro). Bolts to existing mounting in the body, with a shelf to take bikes with front wheel removed (leaves floor level clear for heavy boxes of food, camp stuff, bags etc). Insurance didn’t count it as a modification as it improved safety and bolted in / out without any changes to the base vehicle.

the00
    Free Member

The first job was to see how the bikes fit.

In the Traffic I could take a front wheel out, and put bikes across the width of the van. My tape measure suggested that this would also be possible in the Vito, but the dualiner comes with internal trim panels which take up a lot of space behind the rear wheel arches…

It was clear that I would have to modify these, so I bought some reasonable replacements from a breaker. This meant I could keep the good ones in case of a catastrophic error or change of heart.

With the trim panels out, I gave the bikes a test fit.

Two bikes (large 29ers), with front wheels off only.

And measurement suggested I could fit a 1.9m bed between the bikes and the front seats 🙂

the00
    Free Member

Over a few days I modified and re-fit the panels, and bolted some timber to the rear body to form a frame for the bed.

I had an Ikea matress topper which I liad on the frame to visualize the concept.

nosedive
    Free Member

Interesting. I have a Long vito dualiner. I think it is probably the ideal compromise for a daily driver. I regularly park in multi story car parks and sometimes the barrier is very close, I wouldn’t want a van that is any taller.

MoreCashThanDash

Must stop looking at van threads 👿

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does that leave you no space to get changed etc though?.

legend
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Does that leave you no space to get changed etc though?.

My thoughts too. Would prefer a rock n roll bed so you there’s still useful van space in the back

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a LWB Transporter, and I keep looking at ways to get a bed in there, but putting something as you have limits my options too much tbh. So I’ll just stick with the super comfy campbed and mattress on top.

And I have an irrational hatred of disassembling bikes to go in a van! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

And I have an irrational hatred of disassembling bikes to go in a van!

Just get rid of the estate car then an get a van then 🙂 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just get rid of the estate car then an get a van then

I have a van, just not interested in a bin lorry like yours… 😆 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Post bus I’ll have you know….As my mates have christened it.

the00
    Free Member

There are four seats, and space in between. That’s plenty of space for getting changed during the day.

If you mean at night with the bed assembled, then yes there is less space, but more than a tent for example.

There would be way less stowage space with a rock and roll bed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool, it’s all about what works for you, just my tuppenceworth.

There’s lots of folks will have really good ideas, but there’s also lots of folks that will give their opinion on what suits them, not you.

Nice van btw.

eskay

Bookmarked with interest, I have a Dualiner Long and intend to convert it once the kids no longer need to be taken to races every weekend!

Edit:

mick_r – Member

Nice base vehicle!

Out of interest, what does it come registered as on the V5? It should be an M1 / MPV or “dual purpose vehicle” to come under the car speed limits. I heard some talk of Vito Dualiners sometimes coming registered as N1 / Vans and people getting stung by the reduced speed limits. If it is registered as a van, with the current build you could legitimately argue it should be changed to DPV (if unladen mass is under 2040kg which it should be)

My Dualiner is classed as a van (2010).

the00
    Free Member

Just checked, and just it is registered as N1 panel van. Will want to get that changed. Anyone here done that?

the00
    Free Member

Swivels fitted to the front seats:

These are FASP swivels, which seem a bit better than the RIB swivels I installed in my Renault.

the00
    Free Member

I have cut some 8mm ply for the top of the frame and the bulkhead/ headboard. This is the top half of the bed.

I have divided the deck into three hatches. The front one is easily accessed from the front when the cushions and bedding are on top.

The rear one is for access from the rear, or accessed when kneeling on top on the bed.

And the bulkhead / headboard is hinged to allow loading access from the rear, or should I need to carry a sheet of 8×4 home from the diy store.

The space beneath the hatches is one big open space, and I’ve put a couple of plastic storage boxes to keep stuff separated and in place.

mick_r

A work colleague got a Citroen Relay changed from panel van to motorhome without any issues – filled in the form and sent proof (photos etc) showing it met the criteria (bed, cooker etc). For motorhome it also had to be visually not just a plain panel van outside (his had windows, graphics, alloys etc).

Not sure if yours would class as a motorhome. If not it probably meets dual purpose vehicle requirements. I was part way through doing DPV for our old Scudo when it got written off (replaced it with an M1 combi so no hassles). I was going to send a written report with weighbridge ticket, photos showing seats / windows and all dimensions required to meet DPV requirements (glazed area of side / rear windows, distances to rear seat back etc). Not sure what it does to RFL cost.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

i hate these threads..(out of pure jealousy)

Andy

Im currently doing a SWB panel van to camper conversion (will sleep 2 plus 2 bikes inside) so will reclassify as a motorhome when done.

Looking at the T5 forum there are lots of sample application letters, and advice. There is some comment that the exterior has to look like a camper as well, and some vans have been rejected because it didnt. It seems to be a bit of a lottery recently. Maybe new guidelines on interpreting the requirments.

I’ll be sticking some big gawdy stripes down the side then, and painting “Camper” on the side in white paint… Cant find a link to the thread on there, but will look later.

DickBarton

That last picture you have posted looking at the back of the van – that is a properly installed flat-screen tv in that shot! 😉

the00
    Free Member

I was wondering about changing it to M1, rather than motorhome. It won’t qualify as a motor home without a sink and a stove.

Saying that, I don’t think the speed limit relies on the v5 classification anyway – I’ll have to check.

Also, not sure if motorhome classification needs external decals anymore, I’d heard that had changed. Doesn’t concern me, but those above may want to check.

wilburt
    Free Member

No insulation?

mark90
    Free Member

Re-classifying a van as a motorhome will change the body type (D.5 on the V5C) to “Motor Caravan” the vehicle category (J on the V5C) will stay the same at N1 for a commercial vehicle. Similarly the taxation class remains unchanged. I don’t think that vehicle category can be changed as it relates to the original type approval for the vehicle.

Apparently* the T5 shuttles use a slightly different chassis to the vans, with all the seatbelts mounts in from the factory (you can get plates to rivet into the C-pillar of vans to fit the seat belts) and possibly other differences too. These shuttle chassis where type approved as M1 and the basic vans as N1. The kombi was based on the shuttle chassis and as such could get a M1 type approval. However this may have been a bit of a loop hole and ceased with the T5.1 kombis which are all N1.

* I say apparently as this is just my findings reading up on the subject from various sources including forums etc.

I believe the Vito dualiners and Renault Traffic dual cabs etc are N1. Though I expect the equivalent minibuses / Traveliners are M1.

Nice looking van though 🙂

the00
    Free Member

Great picture quality, crap programming.

the00
    Free Member

No insulation yet, might add it later. I spent ages insulating and lining my Renault. It worked really well, but one advantage of the Vito is that it already fully lined. The headlining is pretty thick, so I think it might be ok.

spooky_b329

Looks great…I remember getting a lift in one of those, can’t remember the engine but it was the fast one and just a little bit mental.

Your FASP swivels…I bought the Iveco variants…they are better/more heavily built, but when tightened down the sliders twist slightly, which jams the seat. Filed the drivers side to fix it but not done passenger yet. Also, they wobble…2p coins under each ‘bumper’ stops it so I plan to use epoxy glue and make them permanent! Also, my swivels were not marked left/right or the italian equivalent…I installed them so the orange levers are on the bottom plate and do not rotate with the seat…is that right?

the00
    Free Member

Hmmm, mine were labeled, so they’ve been installed with the lever pointing to the centre of the van, and the lever rotates with the seats. Yours would be upside down, and mounted on the other side of the van compared to mine. Can’t see that it’d be a problem though.

The FASP swivels use a better, bigger diameter bearing than the RIB swivels. They’re stiffer, have a shorter stack height, and rattle a bit less.

One interesting observation of the Vito is the foot operated parking brake, often commented upon in reviews. It has taken some getting used to in operation, but it means that the space between the front seats is completely clear, which works very well with the swivels.

the00
    Free Member

The rear seats fold down and support the bottom half of the bed, but the seat backs are not flat. I investigated the seats to see if I could attache something to them, like the Amdro VW combi bed, but it was far from straightforward because each seat has it’s own three point seat belt. Instead I have made this interlocking board which pulls out over the folded seats.

It slides back…

Lifts up…

And then drops down behind the seats, in front of the bed frame…

The seats can than the raised and declined if desired…

spooky_b329

Very neat way of doing the bed slats!

welshfarmer

Tres chic. I think I will be pinching some of your ideas :-). Was going to go with interlocking slats but liking the one piece plywood approach

the00
    Free Member

Thanks for the interest – it’s a bit different to what is popular, which is why I wanted to share.

I’ve now lined the bike compartment in the rear. It’s 2mm polypropylene sheet, from which I made a tray for the floor and some panels for the bulkhead. The bulkhead has a couple of flaps to maintain access to the storage area, whilst still being pretty mud proof. I’ve run some sealant around the seams.

The D-rings in the floor were there before (standard), which I removed and re-mounted above the tray.

the00
    Free Member

Painted the wood in the back to protect it from wet and muddy bikes.

Just some floor paint I had already, but not sure of the color.
    I need to add some more tie down points and then the ‘garage’ will be finished.

Has anyone seen a towbar mounted maintenance stand?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Vito Dualiner camper build’ is closed to new replies.