Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Vitamin D question, and where do you buy vits/supps?
  • midlifecrashes

So I’ve decided to start popping pills to help with wintery blues. My supermarket multivitamin with minerals has 10ug Vit D. The standalone Vit D tablet has 25ug. I’m starting to take one of each.

So that’s 35 micrograms total. Too little to make a difference? Too much?

Also, in an unfashionable northern town, the choice of retailers is supermarket/Boots/Holland and Barrett. I was going to try some fibre supplement too, Psyllium. H&B sell it at £16, the web at nearer £5. Who’s a reliable brand/web seller (for supps in general, not just fibre).

Thanks

IHN

You want Vit D3 (not all Vit D is the same)

The Mrs takes these:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/solgar-vitamin-d3-1000iu-tablets-60001430?skuid=001430

I was going to try some fibre supplement too,

😐

Eat more fruit and veg?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get tested to see if your actually deficient? Then you might know how much by

midlifecrashes

Testing would seem to be a sensible way of doing things, but at £30 a pop, presumably doing test before starting supplement, choosing a dosage level, taking that for a while, then testing again so see blood level, then finding which source of info to believe what the optimum blood level should be, and adjusting dosage to suit, seems an expensive faff, given 9 months supply of tablets are less than a tenner, and a quick scan of the web seems to suggest you would have to bebe taking waaay over the level in one or two pills for any harm to be done.

darrell
    Free Member

can get tested at your Doctors if you go in complaining of tiredness and muscle aches and then mention the lack of sunlight etc

and as already said – Vit D3

tjagain

Yup – get tested as above – I did and my levels were 1/4 the mormal level. I feel better since starting it but I think its 50/50 its placebo as my symptoms were very vague and intermittant

800iu is recommended for low levels which is around 20ug. thats 400% of the recommended daily intake. IIRC

No point it taking huge doses unless you have very low levels and then only for a few months. excess is not stored but is eliminated in your urine but unlike some vitamins its not poisonous to have massive amounts in your system

You can only be tested once per year on the NHS

Medical consensus here
    https://cks.nice.org.uk/vitamin-d-deficiency-in-adults-treatment-and-prevention

tjagain

There is a school of thought that everyone in Scotland should take vit d in winter and anyone with darker skin in the UK should take it all year round

I thought we me spending a lot of time outdoors I would be fine – but actually being in Scotland its often only my face and hands that are exposed to sunlight and my GP said that as I am very active I actually need more as activity increases the rate of bone formation.

Seems to be linked with the high incidence of MS in scotland – the highest rate in the world

Murray

Don’t waste everyone’s time by getting tested, read the NHS guidelines

Just take em!

vickypea
    Free Member

I bought my D3 from Boots

wallop

Is it Vitamin D that you should accompany with Vitamin K, in order for it to be effective? Or am I thinking of something else?

tjagain

I was given just vit d by my GP

chvck
    Free Member

I have a 3000IU spray that I usually use 3 squirts of but don’t use it every day as I forget.

unlike some vitamins its not poisonous to have massive amounts in your system

Some people get megadoses injected (I think) of ~200,000IU in one go. It does promote absorption of calcium though so prolonged high usage can be harmful. I think that this is where the role of vitamin K comes into it, but I don’t know the ins and outs of that.

Seems to be linked with the high incidence of MS in scotland – the highest rate in the world

I’m not in Scotland but this is why I take a high dosage.

16stonepig
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    Is it Vitamin D that you should accompany with Vitamin K, in order for it to be effective? Or am I thinking of something else?

You are correct. Although it’s more that K is one of the rate-limiting co-factors. Magnesium is recommended as well. I got into horrible trouble taking big Vit D doses without corresponding Mg.

midlifecrashes

I’ve got Vit K and Mg covered in the A-Z Mulitivit/mineral combo pill. Only 10ug of Vit D3 in that so adding the 25 ug Vit D3 pill on top to see how I go. It’s cheap and minimal effort, and I’ll certainly mention it to the doc next time I go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Vitamin D question, and where do you buy vits/supps?’ is closed to new replies.