Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Visiting Scotland in December, bad idea?
  • solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve done a few trips up to Scotland for riding but have never been much more northern than the boarders when it’s approaching winter. I’m considering using up some spare holiday with a sightseeing trip to include Isle of Skye and Aberdeen in late November or first week of December. Will it be bad weather/daylight wise or just in-time before winter really strikes?

scotroutes

Late November/early December isn’t usually too snowy. Daylight hours are short though so you need to plan your trips accordingly. We quite often get some really, really clear and cold weather so visibility can be excellent, encouraging you to get some height (either on foot or by bike).

This was mid November last year
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hqHfMf]P1000732[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry tooo much as the weather can do anything at any time in Scotland, & like the saying goes, ‘If you don’t like the Scottish weather, wait 15 minutes’.
    Mind you I did hear that Fort William once had 90 consecutive days when it rained. Just adds to the charm AFAIC. 8)

project
    Free Member

I believe some people live in scotland during winter time with no adverse effects

solamanda
    Free Member

It’s more about if it’s worth the time/cost and also being in a slightly snow inappropriate rwd/auto car on std tyres. [/fanny]

trail_rat
    Free Member

Family in aberdeen ? If not dont waste your time 🙂 much better places to see .

righog
    Free Member

Family in aberdeen ? If not dont waste your time much better places to see .

This 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Family in aberdeen?

Close and well guessed. I have a good friend who lives 40 mins away, so not quite the glory of Aberdeen.

CountZero

No midges = win! 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

40 mins away ….dundee , huntly or ballater

bruneep

could be Dyce or Westhill

cyclistm
    Free Member

That picture is stunning

solamanda
    Free Member

or Torphins…

user-removed
    Free Member

We go to Skye every other Christmas to visit my folks. Leaving the house is almost always a bad idea. Sideways sleet and freezing rain are pretty much the norm. They more or less hibernate from November until March.

scotroutes

19th November last year.

Looks crap – don’t come

vorlich
    Free Member

Colin, I demand to know where that second pic was taken! 🙂

matt_outandabout

19th November this year I will be in Elgin. The weather better be that nice or I want my (employers) money back…

scotroutes

Seriously??

Would it be too much of a clue to say I can see that exact spot from my bedroom window?

vorlich
    Free Member

Yes!

The Cairngorms obvs, I’m guessing Lairig Ghru.

scotroutes

Ka-Ching!

That’s at the top of the track from Rothiemurchus Lodge, just about to start the descent down the “good” bit of the LG path.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m tempted.. is accommodation harder to find in the depths of winter? Do most places close up?

vorlich
    Free Member

Ta! I’ve not done that trail…yet.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

molgrips – Yes and yes, just plan ahead and organise accomodation. That said, it’s often cheaper out of season.
    Ski-ing areas are open but busy
    Bleak, stark and beautiful in winter though
    oh and places might be open but roads to them might not be. Bear that in mind as well – coast outes are usully good

bruneep

Yup scotland closes up once the clocks change 🙄

scotroutes

Yep.. everything in Aviemore and area closes when it’s the ski season. 🙄

Nah – you have a point. Many of the more “out of the way” places do close up but those that remain open usually do OK. Lots of folk really do prefer it at this time of year. There’s nothing like a nice malt whisky in front of a cosy fire at a hotel bar after scoffing some decent food, then go out for a wee walk in the evening to see the stars

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dWU2Mk]P1050278[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

There’s nothing like a nice malt whisky in front of a cosy fire at a hotel bar after scoffing some decent food, then go out for a wee walk in the evening to see the stars

especially if you get lucky with a light show

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish people wouldn’t pour scorn on others for asking honest questions.

piemonster

I believe some people live in scotland during winter time with no adverse effects

#notconvincedfaedundee

trail_rat
    Free Member

Torphins…. If the snows not set in solid d please drive via glenshee and braemar.

Lovely road . Not quite glencoe but much better than the a90

zigzag69
    Free Member

Ft William, 26th November, 3 years ago:

December should be fine

onehundredthidiot

It depends. Pick a location and look up the sunrise sunset times for when you plan to be there. Think where you want to go and call B&B/hotels about accomodation.
    As for the weather well be sensible if it throws the snow down don’t head there go somewhere else if the roads are passable then crack on. A couple of years ago i spent the night in a carpark outside Perth because the A9 was closed. That was the first weekend in December, luckily I had a lot of kit in the van so my stay was warm and comfy. Not so long ago a German couple spent 4 or 5 weeks in Glen Lyon because their camper got snowed in. It’s probably not going to be that exciting for you though.
    Look at forecasts, take advice, be responsible.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha zigzag – that could quite easily be fort william – 26th july any year 😀

i should clarify lovely with regard to the glenshee road – i mean a non dualered , scenic road with some amaizing hills and small towns/villages to pass through as oppose to the a90 dualer passing through nothing – if you dont have time for the a90 , try the coast road – it aint much slower between arbroath and aberdeen at quiet times but comes right up the east coast line from st cyrus on.

maccruiskeen

molgrips » I’m tempted.. is accommodation harder to find in the depths of winter? Do most places close up?

Its not a bad question actually – the busier corners of the highlands aren’t problem, the towns, obviously, and Cairngorms etc areas are fine. If you want to get properly away from it all then some areas do shut down significantly. I was around Loch Ewe / Little Loch Broom working for a couple of months and from mid september onwards things pretty much shut down and the places that were open only stayed open pretty much for us (we were a crew of 40 or so) and similarly cafes / restaurants would open up for us if we agreed our food order in advance.

You should manage to find accommodation anywhere but things-to-do might be in short supply.

If the snows not set in solid d please drive via glenshee and braemar.

hmmmmm super luxurious – last time I drove that route in the winter I was practically driving on a carpet of squashed arctic hares 🙂

unknown
    Free Member

Torphins for a holiday?! Good grief, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Just wave to your family as you pass and keep driving.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ach torphins not so bad.

platform 22 is worth a visit for a coffee and its in very nice surroundings/riding – if you can get a bike in the TT 😀

i mean its not quite hounslow or colchester but i can think of worse places to be.

unknown
    Free Member

,20 years of torphins was quite enough for me, not set foot in it since i left. In December you’ll be bored stupid inside half a day, unless you get out in the car and see the rest of deeside.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i didnt say there was lots in torphins but as far as places to go he could do alot worse. its in a nice location.

bit like i did 25 years in arbroath – cant imagine why folks would go there on hols – but they do.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Visiting Scotland in December, bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.