Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Visiting Perth for the day – what to see/do?
  • thenorthwind

Partly inspired by the recent love-in thread about living in Perth, and by odd stops in the town on the way to the Cairngorms, me and Miss TNW are going to spend the day poking around there on the way to visit a relative tomorrow.

What do the locals/knowledgeable folk of STW recommend we see while there? Any good spots for lunch/coffee?

No bikes will be harmed in the making of this trip. Oh, and we’ll have the dog with us.

stevious

Kinnoul Hill is an awesome place to walk the dog.

I can’t think of anywhere outstanding for coffee/lunch but there are a few places near the cathedral and a couple of places at the river end of the high st that are all pretty decent.

thenorthwind

I think there was a picture of Kinnoul Hill in the other thread and it looked great – thanks for the reminder!

alanl
    Free Member

Perth Town Centre?
    Not really a great town (City?) centre. The Ferguson Gallery is worth a visit, as is the Museum/Art gallery.Take a walk down the main shopping street and get a picture with the Fair Lady.And that’s about it.
    Dunkeld would be on my itinery. Walk round the new/old Cathedral, a few nice cafes, a walk along the Tay in the remains of Birnam forest to see the Birnam Oak.

Also Pitlochry, a nice ’round the town’ walk going over the Dam, down the river and back over the swingy bridge to sample a pint back in town.If you are lucky you’ll see some fish in the viewing chamber on the dam.

robbie
    Free Member

Scone Palace might be worth a visit? I say that but having lived in Perth for 30+ years I’ve never been ha ha. Kinnoul is worth a stroll up with the dog just watch it near the cliff edge. A friends dog decided to chase a rabbit over the edge

thenorthwind

Hmmm, sad to hear that there’s not much to the town centre – that was the plan.

Considered Scone Palace – it’s £12 in and while I don’t mind a mooch round a stately home, it’s not worth that much to me. You have to pay even to get into the grounds (except in the winter).

The dog will be on the lead anyway since she’s recovering from a car accident a few weeks ago, but thanks for the tip off. She’s the sort that would do that!

stevious

Scone Palace is pretty good, but I’ve never got over the disappointment of the fact that it’s not a palace made of Scones.

Also agree that Dunkeld & Pitlochry are much nicer places to spend an afternoon if you’re in the area, and both are probably more dog friendly.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Come and see us at the Bike Station 🙂

(Morrisons end of the High Street, lots of classic bikes, plus some antique Apollos…)

Otherwise there are some nice cafés at the river end of the High Street including a French place which I can’t remember the name of. The black watch museum is good, Scone Palace opens for the season tomorrow as does Blair Castle just north of pitlochry.

geoffj

Breizh, Reid’s or Cafe Duo for a decent lunch. Kinnoull hill is a 5 min drive from the centre or there are the north and south inches to stretch the dogs legs. The Ferguson gallery is worth a look as is the museum next to the concert hall (good fallback option for lunch).
    Dunked is ok, but the food options are poor. Have a walk through the hermitage/Creag vinean or just down by the river.
    If you turn on the satellite view on google maps, you’ll see that Pitlochry is tartan 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Visiting Perth for the day – what to see/do?’ is closed to new replies.