• This topic has 29 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Visiting 'merica… what to buy?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

So I’m off to the States for a visit.
    I hear tails of things that are ‘cheap’ in the US, so what can I buy that is a total bargain or I could even make money on by buying there & bringing back?

Anyone want a Santa Cruz? 😀

jota180
    Free Member

Guns are cheapish, you’d make loads

chewkw
    Free Member

Beef jerky?

Zoolander
    Free Member

Go pro Hd

And a second vote for beef jerkey

toby1

A house?

qwerty
    Free Member

Chewinn toobacco, crystal meth & teeth whitening.

Jerome
    Free Member

maglites – got my dad one about 20 years ago..
    I remember being there in 96 and looking at all the latest mountain bike..

andywoods
    Free Member

we went few years ago took empty suitcase inside another one, my 2 teenage kids soon filled them with clothes cost me about half the price of the uk prices and then with the good exchange rate at the time it was great, just take all the tags off first.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

LOts of legal drugs that you need a prescription for on the UK!

DezB
    Free Member

I just got back from a week out there, rate is quite good at the mo. Best bargains were clothes. Under Armour sports gesr and Oakley stuff. Oakley glasses mighht be worth a look. I’m a bit skint, so didn’t look at electronics stuff to avoid temptation!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Serious suggestions would be Enve rims and a CCDB Air.

khani
    Free Member

Peanut butter MnM’s..they sell em by the sackload…

peterfile
    Free Member

What state?

Once you add on sales tax (if applicable), and the cost of exchange, some of the “amazing” bargains aren’t so amazing.

It tends to work better for US stuff that for some reason we consider to be a premium brand, but is considered common in the US – i.e. Levis (you can pick them up for peanuts), or for expensive purchases such as Macbooks.

Problem is, the more expensive the purchase, the higher the risk of having a head-in-hands moment if you have a warranty issue. Check that you have a valid international warranty for any major purchases (and that the european warranty centre isn’t 1500 miles away in some backward country like Spain).

crotchrocket
    Free Member

£100 saving on iPads ?
    35% saving on Santa Cruz’s/intense/Transition… could post you one marked ‘gift’ 😀

Seriously “Beef Jerky”??? Who eats this stuff?

CountZero

Seriously “Beef Jerky”??? Who eats this stuff?

I do, but I buy packets in Tesco, easier that way.

atlaz
    Free Member

If you’re buying stuff to sell on ebay. Buy Carhartt jeans. It’s a work-wear brand in the US and quite cheap. Here it’s quite expensive. I brought pairs back for mates for a few years.

headfirst
    Free Member

A bought a pair of Vans for half the UK price, I were right made up!

restless
    Free Member

Twinkies 😀

Duane…
    Free Member

You can get brand new GoPro HD2s for around £200 on ebay so not really worth bringing them over (assuming they’re $300 in the US).

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Peterfile> California

willard

Jeans. My next trip to the US will involve at least one more pair of 501s.

A lot of the other stuff I have seen is not too amazingly cheaper, but I would go for a GoPro or something if the price difference made it worthwhile.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Hollywood chewing gum was always popular when I was at school,… and Razzle.

cozz
    Free Member

i buy

a USA mountain bike, treks, cannondales etc, bring it back boxed
    levi 501’s
    leathermans
    harley davidson clothes, jackets etc

molgrips
    Free Member

Not so much electronics these days, the US got shagged by exchange rates same as us. A bit cheaper but beware of different keyboards on laptops and different mobile phone tech.

Depends how much you want to spend. Oakleys are a cracking bargain, as is Chris King stuff and I think Fox last time I checked. Be careful bring bike bits back unless you fit them to a bike you’ve brought over – looks like smuggling. Also Levis are cheap jeans in the US.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

a balti ?

TiRed

I buy:
    iPods : about a 25% saving
    Levis jeans $40 per pair, even in Macys
    Abercrombie & Fitch for the kids (sale items are very cheap)
    Converse All Stars $40, cheaper in the factory shops (sizing is the same as UK)
    T Shirts for the kids.
    Kreitler Rollers (brought back two pairs before they had an importer)
    Suitcase (Macy’s again have good sales of Victorinox)

Delaware has no sales tax, if you are near.

BrickMan

25% less on apple products? Guess its the age old thing of rrp matching in different currencies.
    i.e. $99 in states = £99 in uk

Buy 6, sell 5, and end up with one free for yourself 😛

midlifecrashes

Pop into a Walmart, Clif bars by the boxload in loads of flavours, G-shock watches from $35. TJ Maxx or, cheaper still, Ross for cheap clothes. I got Converse for £15 and Nike 6.0 for £20 at Easter. Hiking gear is good too.

athgray
    Free Member

Don’t buy American cheese, it is god awful. Decent European cheese costs a fortune.

JoeG
    Free Member

Very large soft drinks!

32oz (just under a liter) self serve fountain drinks are commonplace at convenience stores and gasoline stations. Most of the plastic cups that they are served in are a smaller diameter at the bottom so that they fit in the cupholder in your car. There are larger 44oz and sometimes even 64oz versions available, too.

Edit – The Big Gulp on the left is the 32oz size. 7-eleven is a chain of convenience stores.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Visiting 'merica… what to buy?’ is closed to new replies.