Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Visiting Cuba
  • allyharp

Tell me about it. I’m in the middle of planning a self-booked trip, with probably 5, maybe 6 full days in Cuba. Havana is the main attraction.
    – How long to spend in Havana?
    – Is anywhere else worth going (considering the amount of time we have). I’ve heard mixed reports about Varadero.
    – What’s a reliable way to book accommodation? I’ve heard Casas are the way to go, and hotels look very expensive

zippykona

When you change money at the airport make sure you get small denominations as everyone wants a tip.

onandon
    Free Member

I went for a month last year and toured the whole island. I had 5 night in Havana and wanted to leave after 2. I didn’t really like the place and it’s a total tourist trap. Get ready to get pestered like you’ve never been pestered before.

I thought Trinidad in Cuba was far nicer but ultimately Cuba was the most disappointing place I have ever been. Nothing like I expected and the trip cost around 10k for me and my wife.

Also , don’t change your money at the air port. You get totally screwed on the rate. The cash points gave me around 15/20% better in match last year.

Take everything with you as the shops only sell pringles, cigars and rum. Not a bad diet for a day but it gets old real quick.

RustySpanner

DrJ

Hmm – I spent a couple of weeks in Cuba last year and absolutely loved every minute. Havana was amazing (also saw the Stones concert and saw Air Force One at the airport :-). I was only there 3-4 days and I could have spent much more time. Didn’t get pestered at all.

Arranging the trip yourself could be a pain – we spoke to an agent (latinamericajourneys) who fixed it all up for us including rental car. Not terribly expensive apart from the plane ticket. Apart from Havana we drove around to a few different places and stayed at “casas”. None of them were luxurious but they were clean and comfortable. Not speaking Spanish was a nuisance some times but we managed fine.

Holiday pics here: http://www.autresdirections.co.uk/PHOTOS/2016_Cuba/index.html

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Great place great experiences

Philby

I went a few years ago and loved it. Vinales and the national park around is lovely, Trindidad really colourful and vibrant, and Santa Clara interesting because of its link to the revolution. Havana also has lots of history and is amazing to walk around. If you can also try and visit some of the smaller towns / villages away from the main tourist route for a sense of the real Cuba.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Head out East to Santiago de Cuba and beyond. Not sure what it’s like now but 25 years ago it wasn’t touristy like Havana. Varadero is like any other hot resort close to Canada. Baracoa is a worth the trip past Guantanamo and up through the mountains.
    If you’re going to Trinidad stay a couple of days so you can see it before and after every road is clogged with tour buses.
    Take Dollars. They will buy you anything.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wouldn’t spend more than a couple of days in Havana. As others have said, Trinidad is interesting – some great photography inspiration. Santa Clara good too.

We did a cycling trip with Explore holiday company. Cycling was pretty slow and sedate, but a nice way to get around…

flashes
    Free Member

Don’t rent a car. The roads are “interesting”. I went quite a few years ago and loved it. Havana was great, Trinidad and the south coast awesome. Came away with q mixed feelings as we met some “normal” people in a small village. Go with an open mind, you’ll love it. Oh and the comedy scrap plane collection as you come in to land was novel….

RustySpanner

Moses

We went as a family a dozen years ago, loved it all except for the tourist food. That’s improved now, by all accounts.
    Don’t miss the Bay of Pigs museum, where pride of place goes to a British Sea Fury, one of the planes that enabled the Cubans to defeat the US / CIA-funded invaders.
    Cuba used to be a British Colony. We swapped it for Florida.

100mphplus
    Free Member

If you can speak Spanish then you’ll be fine sorting things on your own, if not you may struggle as not a lot of English is spoken as it was illegal to learn until a relatively short time ago.

Lots of B&B’s, (casa particular), wherever you go.

Fantastic country to visit and actually learn about the truth and not the American propaganda version!

I recommend a visit to the Buena Vista Social Club, (café Taberna), in Havana for some old school top entertainment.

There’s a great market down in the old Havana railway station to buy souvenirs, paintings, leather goods, trinket boxes and puzzles.

We loved the island, but the food got a bit boring as basically the same with just a choice of meat really.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Visiting Cuba’ is closed to new replies.