Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Visiting a stage of the TdF
  • Ponny
    Free Member

I’m on hols in France in 2 weeks, staying about 40mins west of Limoges, which is the start town for Stage 10 of this year’s Tour de France. Its a family holiday, I didn’t plan to visit the tour per se.

Anyway…since I’m there… anyone got any tips for visiting and viewing the start of a stage? I imagine the town will be f*** heaving, and if I’m not prepared I won’t actually see very much. I’ll have my 5yr old son with me so beers will be capped 🙁 At best I only expect to see a blur of peloton as it shoots past followed by the caravan (assuming my son doesn’t need the loo at the time).

Any tips or suggestions gratefully received.

John

kennyp
    Free Member

Pro-cycling isn’t the most spectator friendly of sports. It’s more about soaking up the atmosphere than anything else. The actual racing is better viewed on telly. That said, it is very impressive watching the peleton go by.

I’d get there an hour or two before the stage start, stick your son on your shoulders and just stroll about.

rich_tee
    Free Member

I’m doing my first one this year in Perpignan.

In this area, all traffic is being stopped on the route 4 hours before the passing of the peleton, so get there early. Looking forward to the atmosphere more than anything.

Ponny
    Free Member

Good stuff, thank you.

Where’s the best place for me to find out the exact details of the stage; start time, traffic restrictions, location of start, etc?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Smug mode]

I’ve been on a TDF podium

[/Smug mode]

To obtain the above, I highly recommend boffing the daughter of the Mayor of a town that has a stage finish!

MrOvershoot

Well I have to say it CFH but my sister wasn’t that impressed with your performance 😉

colnagokid

Flashy wins!
    You wont see much of the cyclist-ists, too fast. But the publicity caravan is fun.
    Dont do what I did and took a photo of every thing, just for the camera battery to go flat as the first bike came into view!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Oi **** John!
    So how come you’re on holiday 40 mins west of Limoges and you ain’t been in touch??????

That makes me feel just great! Like a billy no mates! ….. or maybe you’re scared that I’ll take you out for a ride and rip your legs of!!!!
    Yeah, that’s it!!!

So, are you doin’ the Mandragore on Sunday? Or do you fancy an afternoon with the FFC boys nexy Wednesday.

I’m near St Junien BTW.

SB
    PS Details of the TDF route out of Limoges are here….
    http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/us/1000/etape_par_etape.html

Any one of those points along the way to Gueret would be a great place to see the race.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

CF,
    did you finish 1st,2nd or…………… 3rd?

RoterStern
    Free Member

CF,
    did you finish 1st,2nd or…………… 3rd?

I think he CAME first. 😉

Ponny
    Free Member

SB you fecker!
    LOL! I’ll be in Chabanais. You nailed it BTW – I heard you’d rip my legs off! I’m no roadie 🙂 Also when I said “family holiday”, that’s exactly what it is, no one else cycles. Numpties… Thanks for the ride offer. Keep trying though, you may yet convince me.
    Ponnymeister

Pigface
    Free Member

I saw a stage 4 years ago going through Leon, just fantastic. The caravan before the peloton is great loads of stuff gets thrown to the hordes, then a bunch of police and Tour motor bikes then whoosh a 3 man breakaway going like the clappers. 10 minutes later here come the rest cruising along, one guy was scratching his arse. Went to a Le Clerc to watch the finish and the breakaway got swallowed up 10 km before the end.

A really fabulous experience stole one of the direction arrows as well as a momento, everyone was afterone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Visiting a stage of the TdF’ is closed to new replies.