Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Visa Verisign and the like, a good thing or a pain in the preverbial??
  • Marmite
    Free Member

Increased security online has to be a good thing right?

How many of you hate it though and would put you off using a site?

nickc

hmmmmm, a while back I bought on line one weekend, a Dell PC, they use a Barclaycard run verification process, jumped through the various hoops, all done. Later the same day, get a call from Barclaycard asking whether I could confirm a purchase of the computer, Yes, that was me, Well says the women, we've cancelled the order, here's a telephone number for Dell to call on Monday to re-order the PC. Hang on, I say, I used your own verification process, the supa-doopa secure one…Yes, says the woman we cancel as a matter of course all Dell purchases made on Sundays…

Spoke to the man at Dell on Monday, yep, Barclaycard do this all the time, and, yes they spend most of Monday re-inputting orders…

Secure? Barclaycard themselves don't trust it….

Oggles
    Free Member

I have used the Mastercard/Meastro one before. One time when paying my uni accommodation online I couldn't remember the password I had previously set. So I put an incorrect password in three times and it still went through. That was for a £1200 payment. Waste of time!! Secure my arse.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixie

Bloody annoying rubbish rushed to market. Integrating its a pita and using its is just annoying.

stumpy01

I sometimes get stuck & have to use Mastercard Securecode….what a pita that is…….

Not sure how it is anymore secure? Anyone know?

I tried to help my Dad set his Securecode thing up last week & even though all the details we were putting in were correct it wouldn't accept it and the payment didn't go through.

toby1

VBV and SecureCode Mastercard, the original plan was your CV2 number would ensure you were the card holder and the password input would suggest you were the cardholder and had set the password. Thing is this doesn't really prevent people with key loggers from collecting all this information. So although it was considered a secure option at the time it's clearly no longer as good as it was hoped to be.

This however has not stopped a mandate from Card Schemes forcing people into using it for Maestro at the very least – although no one can quite work out why given that most issuers are in the process of phasing out Maestro.

Integration, hah, this has been my life for the last few months/longer. Welcome to my world.

ps – keep an eye out for Visa's new one-time password security mechanism.

nickc

I tend to use a password once…Mostly 'cause I can never remember what I've set it as, and have to re-set it every time… 😳

Sandwich

Not very secure according to Schneier and others in the know. 8 character security and no special characters (@,& etc.). Even my password generator flags that up as poor.
    More here

Marmite
    Free Member

Interesting, never had issue myself, maybe just lucky.

Always assumed they worked well, maybe I'm blissfully ignorant?!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Visa Verisign and the like, a good thing or a pain in the preverbial??’ is closed to new replies.