Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Visa for Indonesia
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m off to Indonesia in July for just under a month. Never got a visa for anywhere before…..should I sort in advance or just do it when I land in Indonesia? I’m landing pretty late as it is, so would rather minimize faff so that I can get to my digs pronto.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m landing pretty late as it is, so would rather minimize faff so that I can get to my digs pronto.

I think you’ve just answered your own question. 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep! Seemingly, you get a free 30 day one on arrival now……only there for 26 days, so should be good.

globalti
    Free Member

I always try to get visas in advance, just to save time at the arrival airport and hassle with check-in agents who want to know why you haven’t got a visa for your destination country.

Going to Ethiopia on Sunday and I’m dreading the queue.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Free on arrival that would be cool – check if you need a photo. I used to visit a lot from Singapore and they always tried to charge us for the long term visa and not the short stay one. Visas are common requirement is Asia often alongside a modest “fee” (illegal) at smaller border crossings

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You get them on arrival mate. Just try to avoid the hoardes of people who offer to carry your luggage to the taxi. You’ll get mobbed.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Will I need a spare passport photo?

globalti
    Free Member

Take a few, just in case.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was there a few weeks ago. No need to apply for visa in advance if less than 30 days and not for business – though business meetings are allowed under the 30 day visa. If you send off for a visa in advance you’re looking at surrendering your passport for the best part of a week or so. You purchase at a kiosk next to passport control – there is an ATM just next to the kiosk as they only take cash. It costs US$35 or the equivalent in Indonesian Rhupia – about IDR 465,000.

Also if you’re jumping into a taxi from the airport and heading into Jakarta you will need some coinage for the toll roads – the taxi drivers don’t seem to cover than in their charge – and although the taxi’s are supposed to accept credit cards, in my experience they don’t or their machines hardly ever work – though if you are going straight to a hotel often you can get your hotel to pay and add it onto your room bill, which is what I do as it is more conveneint for claiming expenses – though probably wise to check with your hotel in advance that they are happy to do this.

EDIT – no need for a passport photo for the visa.

ferrals
    Free Member

DOnt think you can get the 30 day visa in advance, only the 2monther.

Just remember ‘ti-dak dri-ma-kas-ee’ (my phonetics), for when people are trying to grab your luggage – means no thankyou

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Usd on arrival, 35 I think don’t bother with local for that. You need to join the line for the visa application then the queue to get it stamped… It’s a little screwed but that’s a taste of the country. If your in Jakarta then book silver bird from the airport (if your in a good hotel then they will charge it to your room) about 30 quid to the middle of town.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Flying Heathrow to Jakarta, then Jakarta to Bali. So, some conflicting advice seemingly……pretty sure that a 30 day tourist visa is free from what I’ve read.

Will keep the Jakarta suggestions in mind for the return trip chaps as I’ve got a 12 hour layover!

-m-
    Free Member

Bali has* different visa arrangements (because of tourism). The USD35 visa-on-arrival is definitely correct for UK passport holders if you are immigrating in Jakarta. I honestly don’t know what happens if you’re connecting in Jakarta to Bali as I’ve never done it. Somone on a travel forum somewhere will know, even if no-one on here does.

* EDIT: looking on-line this may not be the case any more. But definitely the USD35 for 30 day visa is correct when immigrating in Jakarta.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will keep the Jakarta suggestions in mind for the return trip chaps as I’ve got a 12 hour layover!

The airport is a shit hole, so is the city… It can take 2hrs each way to the city also. There are a few big posh malls near the airport which would be comfortable but probably not with luggage. I wouldn’t trust leaving luggage at the airport. Have a look at the airport hotels and just grab some kip.
    From what I remember last year international will arrive and do immigration, 30day tourist visa is normal, you need 6 months on your passport. They do have card machines now but take the usd. Don’t loose the arrival card as you need it to get out again.
    There may also be a cash departure tax out of Jakarta and ball so check that out before you go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also who did you piss off to get a flight combo like that? Nothing in and out of Singapore? Also check the volcanic activity and your travel insurance as some were not paying up if you flew out while it was going on.
    Also have a read
    http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/asia/south-east/Pages/indonesia.aspx

ferrals
    Free Member

Used to be a lot cheaper to fly to jakarta and then on rather than straight to Bali. Of course you did have to trust a rust bucket 25% crash rate indo airline for the transfer but worth to to save a few hundred quid.

What was not worth it was the time I took the bus from Bali to Sumbawa to save £20. What I was told was 12hrs on the bus was close to three days surrounded in vomit.

God I’d like to go back!

molgrips
    Free Member

Visa for Indonesia
    Passport for Stockport
    Ticket for Nantucket

globalti
    Free Member

This thread gives a small insight into what I have to put up with while travelling around Africa. I hate African airports and getting to and from them; the only good ones are in South Africa.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheapest flight that I could get! Flying with Garuda…..haven’t braved googling them yet 😯

stewartc
    Free Member

There is big scam, or scamola, at Bali where they close a lot of the immigration desks and try to charge you an additional 25USD to put you through the express queue, this is usually in operation when its very busy.
    Took over an hour to clear.the queue last time I went there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Garuda…..haven’t braved googling them yet

Not that bad, sort of easyjet with food included. The locals will be at the exit before the seat belt sign goes off. The food is interesting (fish/chicken maybe)
    This is also a reason for cheapest not being best.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Visa for Indonesia’ is closed to new replies.