Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Visa debit? Same cover as a credit card?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We bought a new dining table and chairs and a small chest of drawers from a reputable company we’ve used before. The table and chairs were delivered OK, but we were waiting on the drawers (£120 worth IIRC)
    I got an answer phone message last week to say the drawers were in for delivery, and tried to call back the same day. No answer. Mrs PP tried 3 times, I tried again, still no answer. So we went along to find the place looking normal, but closed. Website still operating….But now the website says this:

http://www.easylivingfurniture.co.uk/

So, we should still be OK, as we paid in full…. Maybe…..

We paid with Visa debit. If we don’t get our goods, are we still covered to the same level as a Visa credit card if it all goes wrong?

Thanks in advance!

(Thank GOD we’ve got the expensive bit of the order already!)

thehustler
    Free Member

In a word no…as its a debit card not a credit card 🙁

geoffj

We paid with Visa debit. If we don’t get our goods, are we still covered to the same level as a Visa credit card if it all goes wrong?

I don’t think so. Credit cards come under the consumer credit act which is where the protection is IIRC.

EDIT: Just read the link 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

The Visa chargeback system allows you to claim from the receiving bank within 120 days of you finding out you’ve been done

Not as robust as the section 75 credit card law but there all the same

EDIT: here

Visa Debit Chargeback – The Facts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys, that should help. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In a word no…as its a debit card not a credit card

It’s a right bugger. When you actually have the money to pay for something and not use credit that is…..

clubber
    Free Member

Silly isn’t it PP? I make a point of using a credit card for anything either expensive or if I’m not very familar with the website for the protection alone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Clubber – Oh yeah. And that’s a fair and good point.

It’s annoying becasue we’re playing the credit card game and bought a new kitchen on 0% cards when we have the money sitting (Earning a small amount of interest) ready to pay it off when the offer runs out. So our cards are nearly maxed out at 0% leaving us not enough credit to pay for furniture!!!!

Arse.

Still, the website seems hopeful I suppose………and worse things happen at sea!

thehustler
    Free Member

I totally agree PP those that can afford to pay get shafted more than those that borrow the money, great eh!!

5lab

just buy everything on a cc and pay it off each month

The protection on ccs is an interesting by-product of other credit legislation which means, essentially, you’re actually buying the bike/chairs/food etc from the cc company, not from the vendor (they sell the item to the cc company who provide the credit to sell it to you, or something) which is why, if the company goes under, your contract of sale is still valid

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Visa debit? Same cover as a credit card?’ is closed to new replies.