Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)
  • Virtual regatta
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Just joined, although accidentally started the solar one first!!!!

bigG
    Free Member

i think its a combo of good sails and an almost religious dedication verging on addiction.

worried that ocrider is being distracted by the babes on the beaches, he’s about ready to run aground

carbon337
    Free Member

Well this mornings weather wasn’t what was forecast for the Gibraltar area…..**** **** ****

Think im getting addicted!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Bugger…. been seen off by by the forecasters. That is OCR, Carbon and me stuffed.

We can only hope that the forecast is equally as fickle for the Western crowd too.

ocrider

179° today. Should be catching the gust coming out of Gibraltar this evening.
    I’m aiming to check my course twice a day and no more. This could get far too antiproductive if not!

Doug
    Free Member

20 knots due South. Ridin’ the low baby!

I think Rusty Floater must be off to visit some Yank relatives.

ocrider

There’s a non upgrades ranking Here and a satellite image of all the competitors here green on the map for honest hardworking folk like myself and red for those who think that victory is simply bought.

bigG
    Free Member

heading west to catch the southerly from that low, hoping i’ve not left it too late,

doing 7 knots and watching those others skelping down at 20knots + is a bit disheartening. Wishing i’d packed a carronade now that’d slow em down a little.

Doug
    Free Member

Cheers for those links. Sat image is nearest 10000 boats to Cape Town. Atm all the ones sitting around twiddling they’re thumbs.

Jerome
    Free Member

does not seem to work on ipad..

Doug
    Free Member

doing 7 knots and watching those others skelping down at 20knots + is a bit disheartening.

Chuck me a bungy cord and I’ll give you a tow.

stevomcd
    Free Member

20 knots due South. Ridin’ the low baby!

That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

Woooooooosh!

Really not too far west either, currently on a heading of 180° and not going to pass that far west of West Africa at this rate.

ocrider

Its the boys following the orange line who are in trouble at the mo.
    Dazzlingboy is head on into the wind with a spinnaker

Andy

Yup next 12 hours are going to be dull, dull, dull cantral course. And a wait to see if CMG/VMG beats the western speedsters and the eastern gamblers!

Still you can see who the Asymetric boys are in the fleet 🙄 😆

(parkerknollrecliner)

EDIT:

Dazzlingboy is head on into the wind with a spinnaker

Not anymore he isn’t, and I was hoping to sneak past 👿 😀

Daniel
    Free Member

Late starter. Currently doing 6.5 knots and hoping the 24/36 hr weather forecast proves correct 😕

warton
    Free Member

after bottling going far west I went south, just west of the line now I see a way to get west into the big winds in 24 hours. if it comes off I’ll be flying..

rodderz
    Free Member

cruising slowly at the mo, it is a bit of a lull and minor course correction. Just trying to get in to the depression. I was cruising early on.

its pretty unlucky to be near Gibraltar.

You have done well to get in to that low far in to the Atlantic then bring it back in…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Looking at the latest forecasts I think there is only “rusty Floater” I have a chance of beating to Cape Town.

spooky_b329

What time does the weather update? Does it just switch every 12 hours or does it change all the time?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Forecast are updated twice a day. Twelve hours apart. 10 ish souns about right but I guess you would need to look on the virtualregatta site.

Doug
    Free Member

Changes at 7am and 7pm i.e 10 mins time.

bigG
    Free Member

finally made it to some decent wind, regretting not heading west and following bogillou when I had him in my sights,

seem to be making decent headway now 13knots with a 14knot tailwind is not bad but I’ve got some serious work to do to catch Stevo,

spooky_b329

thanks re. forecast times 🙂

Doug
    Free Member

Come in xcgb (Rusty Floater) your time is up!

Maybe he is off to sail round the Bahamas for a couple of months hoping he won’t be missed then sneakily rejoin just in front of the leading group as they head up from El Salvador to Charleston 😉

bigG
    Free Member

Do we get extra bonus points for sailing north to rescue the lost skipper? maybe scurvy has set in already.

Hoping to catch some decent southerly breezes soon and doing some serious catching up.

Doug
    Free Member

Hoping to catch some decent southerly breezes soon and doing some serious catching up.

Reckon you’ll be in the fast air in an hour or so.

We are about the same distance as the current leaders to Cape Verde and will hopefully have much better winds over the next couple of days so should get there well ahead. I’m gaining 150 ish places every 10 mins or so atm.

(My names Doug and I’m a Virtual Regattaholic)

ocrider

Maybe he is off to sail round the Bahamas for a couple of months hoping he won’t be missed then sneakily rejoin just in front of the leading group as they head up from El Salvador to Charleston

He’ll be in Charleston before I get to Cape Verde at this rate.
    Still, 630th for now, although I’m guessing back up to around 1200 before breakfast. I’m going to have a very still day tomorrow.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’m gaining 150 ish places every 10 mins or so atm.

Don’t even think about drafting me. I’m getting ready to repel boarders! 😉

Doug
    Free Member

Don’t even think about drafting me. I’m getting ready to repel boarders!

I’ve got one hand on your Camelback strap 😉

See you all tomorrow.

bigG
    Free Member

finally got a decent breeze, heading south now

fair winds and happy dreams all

warton
    Free Member

I’ve blown it, went from 9000 to 19000 overnight

Daniel
    Free Member

I dropped a load of places too. My aim is to try and keep the rest of you guys in sight

bigG
    Free Member

starting to catch up on stevo & doug, but starting to wonder how far west I can follow this breeze. I’ll need to turn east at some point.

carbon337
    Free Member

Still not all lost yet.. I wont be beaten – I WONT BE BEATEN

Even if it means getting up through the night.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I gained nearly 2000 places overnight, but still not telling the whole story – all of you in-shore guys are still ranked ahead of me!

Easy enough today, looks like interesting times tomorrow. Decisions to be made!

Doug
    Free Member

I’m heading pretty much straight for Cape Verde for the next few days. I’ll tack back east at the 7pm wind change. Don’t want to be too close to Africa when I get there though as there’s usually a headwind coming up the west coast once you pass the equator.

dazzlingboy

Bah! Blown up overnight – falling well back and now stuck square in the middle of the low!! 🙁

Doug
    Free Member

Looks like ‘Tortoise’ is off to rescue ‘Rusty Floater’.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Rusty’s currently doing 0 knots so at least he’s not actually going any further the wrong way!

Maybe some massive North-westerly is going to blow up in a couple of days and we’ll all be laughing on the other side of our faces…

bigG
    Free Member

Been very quiet here today, everyone keeping their cards close to the chest? or did we all break out the rum rations early?

I’m now tacking in the strong sou’westerlys making up as much ground as I can, a steady 16 / 17 knots should see me well out into the atlantic.

Not sure how soon to turn and make the run down into the southern ocean but it looks like a busy 36 hours ahead with tacking into some strong winds.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘Virtual regatta’ is closed to new replies.