Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Virgin wheel builder needs hand holding (some lefty content)
  • dale
    Free Member

hi wheel building hero's a few questions going to build my first wheelset just need confirmationon on my spoke sizes so….front Omega si hub, 32 hole 819 rim:14mm nips with 256 and 260mm spokes.Rear hope pro 2,32 hole 819 rim :258mm spokes for both sides.Are these ok?Next, the dish on the front wheel, got a 321 truing adapter can you take the dishing from the ends of it ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which spoke calculator are you using? I find the wheelpro version more accurate than the DT one. As for dishing a lefty hub, I'd be tempted to do it by eye on the bike as that's where it matters most.

dale
    Free Member

used the wheelpro where do people get spokes the front need 2 sizes can you split an order from crc ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Personally, I'd be tempter to get 32 x 258 and 32 x 260

16 x 260 & 16 x 258 on the front
    16 x 258 drive side rear & 260 disc side rear.

Obviously, there's the risk on bottoming out some of the spokes but I'm pretty sure the last Pro II I built was 258/260

dale
    Free Member

yeah buying the wrong spokes is what i wanted to avoid.Thanks for the advice

dale
    Free Member

would 16mm nips help?
    (shameless bump)

rob1984p
    Free Member

not really, 12mm are the norm and proven

dale
    Free Member

dont think the 12mm is any good for the 819 as the nipple cups need a minimum of 14mm

rob1984p
    Free Member

dale, you may be right but im pretty sure that i built my old 823s with 12mm and all the nipple inserts are teh same i think

dale
    Free Member

Roger musson used 14mm as its easier to get a key on the nips this being my first build I wanted easy, though the lefty and 819's probably not the easiest :roll:to start on
    can you remember the spoke tension ? does 80-90 kgf sound about right

taka
    Free Member

dale you want to buy some nice red dtswiss spokes? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

80-90 sounds way too low. Stans rims build to a low tension and they say 100-110 for Flow (I normally find I need to build toghter than that). I don't know about the UST Mavics but normal ones usually need something closer to 130 kgf.

How are you measuring it? I've got a park tool and I've not found it very good for measuring absoloute tension. Better for relative tension.

dale
    Free Member

Its the Park tool,hopeing you get a reasonable absoloute tension reading as this is my reference.Will try to check tension.Decided to go one size spoke for the back and two for the front.This being my first build wanted to keep it as simple as possible.Onzadog if you read this then thank you for youre help and I owe you a pint.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Virgin wheel builder needs hand holding (some lefty content)’ is closed to new replies.