Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Virgin Trains RANT!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So apparently you NEED bike reservations on Virgin trains. Ok, fine, I didn’t know this and it was my mistake. You haven’t needed them for years on any of the other networks I’ve been on subject to space.

So I’m changing trains in Tamworth, trying to get the last train to Preston. The guard would not let me on, despite knowing full well it wa the last strain, thereby stranding me in the middle of nowhere.

Fortunately I’m on business so I called Amex to get me a hotel in Tamworth and cancel my one in Preston. But I’m distinctly unimpressed that she cared not a tiny bit that I might be in real trouble.

jam-bo

thereby stranding me in the middle of nowhere

err, you had a bike….

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, it’s rather a long way to Preston from Tamworth, at 9.30pm…

transapp
    Free Member

But in fairness, 100 miles is a bit of an long ride to get to where you’ve got digs for the night

edit: molgrips – snap!

brakes
    Free Member

they are total jobsworths, the Virgin trains managers, they think they’re in charge of Air Force One or something.
    I once managed to plead ignorance and get my bike on, but that was at the start of the line so there were no time issues related to finding the right guy with the key to open the door.
    I was once on a train with my bike and two others had been let on without tickets for their bikes, the train manager was going mental at them spouting a load of toss about health and safety despite the fact that there was loads of room and they were only going one stop.
    shower of arseholes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Train was bloody empty too. I’ve never been denied in those circumstances even when you did need reservations. Wtf? What have they got to lose?

I was quite excited about going on one of those nice trains too, esp in first class, but now I’m just annoyed at them. I’m going to complain.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

why did nt u just get on ?

Especially if it was empty I’d have just got on.

I know the rules are stupid but did you not got get on so you could complain ?

If it had been your money not your companies would you have just got on ?

Duggan

Utterly stupid, especially so as it was the last train. I’d be complaining.

Also, as someone who originally comes from Tamworth I can sympathise with you there too 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

why did nt u just get on ?

It did occur to me afterwards that I could’ve just got on. Or just stood with my bike half in the door and force her to open the bike door. They are locked btw on these trains, hence the issue.

Also, as someone who originally comes from Tamworth I can sympathise with you there too

Whilst trundling around looking for the Holiday Inn Express I thought it was quite nice actually. The hotel is right next to the famous snowdome too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

had this with virgin [ at preston FWIW] when my bike was booked but they had let 2 on without tickets. i stood in the doorway till the police turned up and they put my bike on the train.
    It was years ago and the bike rack was behind the driver and would have fitted about 50 bikes

Garry_Lager

If the guards standing in the way of the bike place then I doubt just pushing past and telling her to do one is going to work.

Harsh that – could leave you totally bolloxed if you hadn’t the means for a hotel.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stiff letter of complaint on eaded paper.

donsimon
    Free Member

Train was bloody empty too. I’ve never been denied in those circumstances even when you did need reservations. Wtf? What have they got to lose?

It’s not what you do, it’s the way that you do it.

druidh
    Free Member

There seems to have been a change with all the rail companies recently as regards un-booked bikes. I did wonder if it has something to do with the Olympics.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

[/quote]If the guards standing in the way of the bike place then I doubt just pushing past and telling her to do one is going to work.

No ones suggesting do this if its empty just get on another carriage. Try and get the bike in the right carriage at the next station, if not repeat ?

Garry_Lager

No ones suggesting do this if its empty just get on another carriage. Try and get the bike in the right carriage at the next station, if not repeat ?

Try and sneak it in under the nose of the gatekeeper? Tricky.

I guess it’s true that once you’re on and the train is moving you might be in a stronger position to get away without the reservation. Then again, it might be a face-off at the next station, big-man style.

AlasdairMc

I dunno Druidh. Scotrail last month let four of us on at Fort William last month without a reservation between us. Or is this more recent?

cheburashka
    Free Member

Asking very politely to bend the rules before boarding is the only realistic option. Or travelling a bit earlier and travelling by London Midland / Northern (changing at Crewe & Manchester) who you don’t need bike reservations with. Travelling with a bike late at night is risky, engineering works (of which there is a lot at the moment in the North west – and hence rail-replacement buses) could leave you stranded anyway with a bike – the RRBs don’t take bikes.

The little darlings who turn up by the dozen with their bmxs & tend to be antisocial / faredodgers / abusive are one reason the TOCs are being more rigid with the bikes rules.

Trampus
    Free Member

Virgin Trains are utter *****s! I’ve almost lost count of the number of times they have bolleauxed my ‘with bike’ travel plans, despite prebooking!

molgrips
    Free Member

All my options involved Virgin Trains at some point I think.

Travelling with a bike late at night is risky

Good point.. the train could have been full in any case.

For the record, First Great Western never bat an eyelid when I get on with my bike.

BrickMan

When you book virgin train tickets there is STILL not a way of ‘seeing’ if there is space online, so you have to ring india, and about £5 in calls and fury later you have a ‘booking code’

When you get on the train you are supposed to be able to get a ‘bike reservation ticket’ from the office with the ‘code’.
    However the ONLY stations that do that are the London terminus’s, every other station either doesn’t have the system in place, or CBA’d or don’t care. Its just LDN that is the problem.

Also with the train doors, its just a turnkey, nothing fancy about it (I have one and have used it before to let myself on and off trains with bike otherwise I’d have been bolloxed many many many many times when the guard fails to show) if you have a beefy car key or very large flat screwdriver blade you just turn it clockwise or anti-clock and hold it for 5-10seconds until door chimes and then opens; I’m telling you this as a PSA as
    1) you might find you need it soon (guards often don’t realise you can’t get off/ or are even there/obscured by platform furniture)
    2) DO NO FOR ONE MINUTE think others cannot access your bike, strip the components off it, and/or calmly walk off train from the bike luggage space with your bike (because they’ve made pendalinos’ so its impossible to lock your bike to anything). as this happens more regularly than you would care to know about (and Virgin absolve all responsibility)

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. I see.. interesting to note about the key thing, cheers.

I’ve got to complete my journey tomorrow in rush hour, wish me luck.

BrickMan

+1 on RRB’s not taking bikes. the line that links our county/area to the rest of the known world is cut off at least at one end thanks to floods/ bridge inspections pending. There was a group of 3 girls waiting to get on train back from their C2C trip only to find trains not going anywhere and bus man is not having bikes, let alone bikers in manky kit on his new plush £260k bus. Cue epic arguments and presumably EPIC last minute taxi bill (or maybe they could have just ridden the 250miles back to Bristol (in time for work in the morning?) I think was one of the comments!
    Bloody joke eh.

Oh lastly, I got into road riding loads last year, and was getting bored of riding out and back, so instead booked a train to Lancaster (about 90miles away) then set the task of riding back. Got hyped up, ready and down to the station (sunday so only the morning train thats any good). Got to station and wasn’t allowed on. Why? Because there was 2x prams or wheelchairs already onboard (and maybe 15-20people out of a capacity of 100-120). Despite it being a double train thing with 2x bike areas and 4x wheelchair spaces? Guard was a complete cock, and I was out a ride and my £27.50!! juice stains! Public transport in this country is a bloody disgrace.

TiRed

wheels in a binbag, frame in another/strapped to case. Then it’s luggage. Or Brompton…

cheburashka
    Free Member

There are increasing numbers of guards at are ****s, I can vouch for that as I have to work with some of them (-driver for Northern TOC). Most are OK, but the jobsworth minority are growing at every company. And yes, the bike booking system is just an exercise in frustration. Whatever you do don’t get caught with/using the carriage key (I assume by ‘turnkey’ you have a T-key type carriage key). Unauthorised access of any kind even for access to your own bike could be taken well-over-the-top seriously and you could have all sorts levelled at you. If you’re on a train and you think the guard’s forgotten you at your stop pull the passcomm. You’d be surprised how many numpty guards forget about wheelchair passengers needing assistance off the train, never mind bikes locked away.

woffle
    Free Member

Take enough brown paper, neatly folder + a roll of Sellotape. If guard gets snotty, off come the wheels and wrap the whole thing in paper and tape. Magic – luggage!

I’ve witnessed this (or variations of) twice at London bridge where the station staff won’t even let you onto the platforms with a bike in peak travel times. Once where a chap had obviously done it before and whipped the kit out of a rucksack, the other when the cyclist ran into WH Smiths and bought said roll of wrapping paper and tape.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or Brompton

Yeah great idea, just hold the train whilst I nip to the bike shop. And give me £500 whilst you are there, cheers.

I need to carry up to a week’s worth of luggage, Brompton won’t carry it, otherwise I might try it. If I had the money, which I don’t.

Oh, and guess what, my ticket’s not valid any more is it? So the train company help themselves to my money and give me naff all in return. Great.

Having thought about it, the guard probably shouldn’t have let me on because she didn’t know if anyone down the line would have a reservation. So someone could have been in BrickMan’s position and not been able to get on despite having a reservation.

The real issue was nationalrail.co.uk and the First Great Western ticket machine at Cardiff, neither of which gave any inkling that I might need a bike reservation.

Woffle – we used to do that back when you had to pay, using a bed sheet and a couple of straps.

wwaswas

do what everyone else who’s had the same experience does and drive next time.

molgrips
    Free Member

If my car wasn’t out of use I’d have considered it. Mind you I doubt I’d have had a much better experience on the M5/M6

D0NK

the RRBs don’t take bikes

they sometimes do but pretty risky however IME you don’t get to hear about local rail work unless you live locally and see the signs so travelling the length of the country you’re bound to run into some sometime.

If you book online do they warn you of any engineering work?
    If you try book a bike place in advance and there’s going to be an RRB will they prevent the booking or say “thankyou for you money, have a nice journey”?

train travel eh, when it goes well it’s a joy, when it goes wrong you are ****ed

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like I’d better invest in a folder.

Next question, what folder that rides well and can take panniers?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never had any problems with Virgin trains. Always pre-booked my bike (always pre-booked my entire ticket – it’s cheaper) on Virgin AND First Great Western.

Staff on trains at both companies have always been helpful and efficient.

Must be me.

br
    Free Member

Looks like I’d better invest in a folder.

Or since you are on company business, just drive?

ransos
    Free Member

If you book train tickets using the East Coast website, you can make bike reservations online, which saves the tiresome phone call to India. You get a bike reservation ticket to show to the jobsworth guard, which is handy when they claim the bike spaces are all taken (“here’s my reservation, you must’ve let someone else on without checking”). It’s amazing how space can magically be found in such situations…

molgrips
    Free Member

Or since you are on company business, just drive?

200 miles at rush hour, through Birmingham, when I’ve got work to do?

No ta.

BlobOnAStick

Molly: there are sooo many reasons why Virgin Trains insist on a reservation I could write a good page full here.

Edited highlights are:
    1) The Pendolinos were designed in the mid 90’s against a backdrop where flying was the travel mode of choice (esp. between Manchester/Liverpool and London). The whole ‘experience’ was designed to rival the feel of an aircraft. Cycling was definitely a minority activity so cycle carrying was a very low priority. Hence, the cycle space is a non-public area accessed by T-key only.

2) In order to make the cycle area ‘public’ a HUGE amaount of work and cost is required (not just changing the door operating buttons, but assessing platform lengths/clearances etc etc etc)

3) Because a T-key is required, loading and unloading of cycles has to be supervised – usually by station staff, given the on-board safety responsibilities of the Train Manager. I echo the point made above, if you’re caught using one then woe betide you if the TM is a bit ‘jobsworth’.

4) If you don’t have a reservation, nobody knows you are there so the chances of being over-carried are significant – a reservation ensures that all parties are informed. Train Managers and Station staff have notification that you are there. (I expect someone will be along in a minute to state that they had a reservation and this happened anyway…..)

5) The time to load/unload a bike if no-one is there ready to open the door can be 2 or 3 minutes. It doesn’t sound like much, but on certain services this can be the difference between a right-time arrival and 20 to 30 minutes late if the train misses it’s slot on a certain stretch of track. One inconvenienced cyclist verses up to 300 people 20 minutes late is quite a simple decision to make. The delay minutes would be attributed to the train manager should they occur and they would be ‘asked to explain’ why they had not upheld the reservations policy.

6) There are 100’s of incidents annually for every operator that result in late trains that involve bikes, so some operators have tried to give themselves a chance and insist on a reservation. The level at which that reservation policy is implemented varies due to all of the above factors.

It’s of little comfort to you having been left without onward travel, but it is an issue that is taken very seriously by many operators.

I believe there is a twitter account (@virgintrains) that you could use to complain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Me: Since I actually bought a first class ticket for this journey yesterday and I couldn’t complete my journey yesterday due to the bike problem, is there any chance I can sit in first today?

Guard: No

Me: You absolute arsehole

I grab the guard by the throat and push him up against the toilet door, administering two swift punches to the stomach then let go. As he doubles up I smash my knee into his face

Me: I’ve had just about enough of this petty jobsworth arseholery you objectionable bastard! AAARGH!

Further violence similar to the printer scene from Office Space

THE END

Note some of the above may not have happened.

molgrips
    Free Member

Blob on a stick – those are good points, and I do acknowledge that the guard probably had no choice given the circumstances and the real blame lies with nationalrail where I checked times and the FGW machine that sold me the ticket – neither of which hinted that I may need a reservation. Given the possible consequences of not knowing that there would be a problem (ie stranding) I think they should be much clearer.

However:

If you don’t have a reservation, nobody knows you are there so the chances of being over-carried are significant – a reservation ensures that all parties are informed

FGW, Southern and others seem to manage quite happily without any of that. Bike space is always limited.

BlobOnAStick

But do you need to be supervised on and off the train on FGW, Southern etc?

molgrips
    Free Member

No. I can’t see why they can’t replace the turnkey with a button to be honest, then it’d be no different to the FGW trains.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Trains RANT!’ is closed to new replies.